Dunn Paper in Port Huron Closing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Dunn Paper in Port Huron Closing

Unread post by NS3322 »

Dunn Paper will be closing on November 18, 2022:
https://www.thetimesherald.com/story/ne ... 509801007/

This comes over a year after Domtar closed in early 2021. I wonder if Lake State will keep this line? CDW Consulting is the only other customer remaining, which transloads tank cars (and maybe boxcars) near the Domtar site.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Dunn Paper in Port Huron Closing

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Dang someone at CN could see the writing on the wall. Hate to see the businesses leave.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

I just watched the new Delay in Block video on the LSRC Flint and Port Huron Terminals and went to look up when Domtar closed again and the Dunn closing was all over the top of the search results... Really sad to see them go, I was looking forward to doing some rail-fanning there this fall. Even if CDW keeps them going, I doubt we will ever see them up near the river front after November.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm
I wonder if Lake State will keep this line?
Lake State can stop running trains but since they only lease it, CN would be the one to file for abandonment. All those grade crossings to maintain...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

And a bridge.....
Steve B wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:34 am
NS3322 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm
I wonder if Lake State will keep this line?
Lake State can stop running trains but since they only lease it, CN would be the one to file for abandonment. All those grade crossings to maintain...
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DelayInBlock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DelayInBlock »

LSRC still has one customer on the line, CDW Consulting. It's right next to the Domtar facility.

CDW is a full-service logistics & warehousing company. They also provide railcar loading and unloading of liquids. They receive rail shipments of boxcars for transloading as well as tank cars of food-grade cooking oil.

CDW designs and develops transload networks for its customers and manages operations and terminals. Services include rail to bulk container loading, warehouse storage, outside storage, drayage, and oversized cargo shipping to and from rail or truck.

Lake State Railway actually leases part of a breakroom space from CDW that acts as a yard office for the Port Huron crew.
Delay In Block Productions: "Railroading a Little Different than Usual."

Visit my YouTube Channel and Subscribe: http://www.YouTube.com/user/DelayInBlock
Like My Page on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DelayInBlockProductions

Tubaphil
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tubaphil »

DelayInBlock wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:25 pm
LSRC still has one customer on the line, CDW Consulting. It's right next to the Domtar facility.

CDW is a full-service logistics & warehousing company. They also provide railcar loading and unloading of liquids. They receive rail shipments of boxcars for transloading as well as tank cars of food-grade cooking oil.

CDW designs and develops transload networks for its customers and manages operations and terminals. Services include rail to bulk container loading, warehouse storage, outside storage, drayage, and oversized cargo shipping to and from rail or truck.

Lake State Railway actually leases part of a breakroom space from CDW that acts as a yard office for the Port Huron crew.
Used to use the office, havent done that since domtar closed

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Tubaphil wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:55 am
DelayInBlock wrote:

It is a shame that both paper companies closed on this branch! How often does LSRC switch CDW? I suppose there is no need to go under the Bluewater Bridge now, right? :?: Luckily I have caught GTW and LSRC running trains there! Someday I will share pix I took!!!! This would be a great place for train excursions! They have the Thomas Edison Museum and scenic views of the water! Perfect for train rides, but that probably will never happen!!!! :cry:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Robertrains wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:38 pm
Perfect for train rides, but that probably will never happen!!!! :cry:
If it was anywhere other than Port Huron, it might have a shot. But it's Port Huron - something like that will never happen. If the NIMBYs don't prevent it, the federal government will because it's too close to the (Blue Water) Bridge.
~ Charles W.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Robertrains wrote:
Tubaphil wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:55 am
DelayInBlock wrote:

It is a shame that both paper companies closed on this branch! How often does LSRC switch CDW? I suppose there is no need to go under the Bluewater Bridge now, right? :?: Luckily I have caught GTW and LSRC running trains there! Someday I will share pix I took!!!! This would be a great place for train excursions! They have the Thomas Edison Museum and scenic views of the water! Perfect for train rides, but that probably will never happen!!!! :cry:
Again, How often does LSRC switch CDW? I suppose there is no need to go under the Bluewater Bridge now, right? :?:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:07 pm
Robertrains wrote:
Perfect for train rides, but that probably will never happen!!!! :cry:
If it was anywhere other than Port Huron, it might have a shot. But it's Port Huron - something like that will never happen. If the NIMBYs don't prevent it, the federal government will because it's too close to the (Blue Water) Bridge.
Well there is hope that new businesses could come into both the old Domtar/Dunn paper plants, right? Domtar closed in 2021 and Dunn in 2022! Why couldn't they stay going? Did a Canadian company purchase one? Well, good for one business, but it is not enough to sustain the branch! :cry:

Delray
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Delray »

Robertrains wrote:
This would be a great place for train excursions! They have the Thomas Edison Museum and scenic views of the water! Perfect for train rides, but that probably will never happen!!!!
I actually took an excursion there. Back when the blue water club was still around and offering excursions.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Circle trip with Bluewater Chapter NRHS. I was there. A very cold day, so the brain wasn't working at full speed. Hoofed it to a nearby McDonald's for lunch. Foolishly set my nice Minolta SLR and telescopic lens on a table there and turned my back. A few seconds later I turned around and both had vanished without a trace. Checked the local pawn shops but nothing. A real damper on what was otherwise a fun day.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

jimnorthwood wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:22 am
Circle trip with Bluewater Chapter NRHS. I was there. A very cold day, so the brain wasn't working at full speed. Hoofed it to a nearby McDonald's for lunch. Foolishly set my nice Minolta SLR and telescopic lens on a table there and turned my back. A few seconds later I turned around and both had vanished without a trace. Checked the local pawn shops but nothing. A real damper on what was otherwise a fun day.
Yes, I have a copied picture of the Bluewater® "Circle Trip" from the 1990s by the station in Port Huron! Those were the days! I did not see the excursion train here, but photographed some Bluewater® trips on GTW through Ferndale/Royal Oak in 1993/1994/1996!!!! :wink: