Tri-State's Lumber Saginaw Question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Tri-State's Lumber Saginaw Question

Unread post by MQT1223 »

A buddy of mine is interested in knowing who switches out the Tri-State’s Lumber yard on the East Side of Saginaw.

It’s on an old NYC Line that at one point was also run by the CMGN but was then later abandoned over I-75 when MDOT wanted the bridge gone (customer is located West of the highway).

Did Central Michigan/Huron Eastern retain trackage rights to switch the lumber yard or were they given up to CSX, now Lake State?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Tri-State's Lumber Saginaw Question

Unread post by AARR »

HESR uses trackage rights from Mershon to ??? Jct. where they access the short branch to switch Tri-State. Last I heard Tri-State was getting 1-2 cars per week.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BamaSubdivision94
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BamaSubdivision94 »

AARR wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:49 pm
HESR uses trackage rights from Mershon to ??? Jct. where they access the short branch to switch Tri-State. Last I heard Tri-State was getting 1-2 cars per week.
That location is Hoyt where the old NYC line out to Denmark crossed the PM/C&O/CSX at one point.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Does Eikenhout still get service? Its spur crosses Tri-State's spur at a diamond on the west edge of Tri-State's property. It's shiny in the vicinity of the diamond at least in the most recent aerial imagery.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't think Eikenhout ever received rail service. Timber Roots was on the same spur as Eikenhout and may have received a few cars but they were acquired by Probuild around 2012 (?) and closed that location.
Steve B wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:09 am
Does Eikenhout still get service? Its spur crosses Tri-State's spur at a diamond on the west edge of Tri-State's property. It's shiny in the vicinity of the diamond at least in the most recent aerial imagery.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Steve B wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:09 am
I always thought this industrial spur setup with the diamond was kind of fascinating and would be fun to model. Too bad you can’t really get closer to it on the ground. I had no idea if it was still switched or what road did so.
DEE646DB-12F9-473B-8A87-8AD79B21859B.png

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Well my friends i have seen lumber loads at Eikenhout before when they first moved in there i don't go by there near as much as i used to tho before Eikenhout it was a Wickes Lumber that spur was completely rehabbed i was in Wickes Lumber there about 1990 the last time and the old heads told me that the last time they received lumber by rail was in 1973 they had to turn to trucks because Penn Centrals service was not very good.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Thanks for the additional info, penn central. I wonder what the Eikenhout spur, at least the part near the diamond, has been used for in the past couple years. Shiny rails visible for a little ways in the latest Google Maps image. Some type of aid for switching Tri-State? Though I'm scratching my head trying to figure how it would help in that regard. From looking at aerial photos, the Wickes/Eikenhout spur was built sometime between May 1966 and September 1970, while Tri-State's was built between 1955 and 1965.
diamond.png