Dow Chemical Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Dow Chemical Railroad

Unread post by chapmaja »

I just have a quick question.

Which railroad switching provider services Dow in Midland, and what locomotives are they using? Looking at Google Maps, it appears they have something similar to an RS type unit, but I can't see them using anything that old still.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Dow Chemical Railroad

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:00 pm
I just have a quick question.

Which railroad switching provider services Dow in Midland, and what locomotives are they using? Looking at Google Maps, it appears they have something similar to an RS type unit, but I can't see them using anything that old still.
Should still be Railserve (RSSX).

I believe they have one or two of their "LEAF" gensets assigned to Dow.
https://www.railserveleaf.biz/index.html

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I do not remember the exact years but i think it was around 2000 or 2001 Dow started using Omnitrax Switching Services they didn't last long by 2005 Railserve had gotten the contract and before OSS CSX did all the switching.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Semi-related fun fact, originally Central Michigan was going to be contracted to do all of the interplant switching at Dow. The railroad purchased the pair of GP8s expressly for this purpose, even. Then at the last minute, Dow reneged on the contract, and it was given to a third party.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

So that is why they acquired the GP8's
SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:56 pm
Semi-related fun fact, originally Central Michigan was going to be contracted to do all of the interplant switching at Dow. The railroad purchased the pair of GP8s expressly for this purpose, even. Then at the last minute, Dow reneged on the contract, and it was given to a third party.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

SD80MAC wrote:
What ever happened to the GP8's?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Sold off in 2002 or 2003 as I recall.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:17 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Sold off in 2002 or 2003 as I recall.
9209 is at Consolidated Grain & Barge in Enfield, IL.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152026634 ... Fkq-qQvYCC

9210 might be at at Consolidated Grain & Barge in Mt. Vernon, IN.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Something doesn't sound quite right about that "fact". The GP8s were purchased in '92, at that time CSX was the "contract" switcher with there own dedicated crews. It was not until 2000 that CSX lost that deal, and then Omni came in. Any switching not preformed by CSX was Dow personal using trackmobiles.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:53 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Something doesn't sound quite right about that "fact". The GP8s were purchased in '92, at that time CSX was the "contract" switcher with there own dedicated crews. It was not until 2000 that CSX lost that deal, and then Omni came in. Any switching not preformed by CSX was Dow personal using trackmobiles.
This was strictly going to be for the CMGN-served side of Dow, from my understanding.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:53 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
Yea i didn't want to say anything but what i was told in 1992 that the 9209 and 9210 where purchased because when the LSRC became independent in 1992 all the Alcos went back to home rails and the CMGN found themselves power short and purchased the GP8s i don't claim to be any expert i just remember what i was told by the CMGN crews at the time.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I'm just reciting what my contacts at CMGN and Dow have told me *shrug*.