Muskegon Abandonment

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Muskegon Abandonment

Unread post by Jim_c »

I can't say as I'm real surprised. According to the STB site MS and CSX have filed discontinuance and abandonment of the South Horn Spur on the south side of Muskegon Lake.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Muskegon Abandonment

Unread post by chapmaja »

How far did this track used to go. I know it went beyond the paper mill that closed and was torn down, but how far beyond that did it go. It appears to cross Lakershore and Cottage Grove intersection and maybe run behind the business on Lakeshore.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:06 am
How far did this track used to go. I know it went beyond the paper mill that closed and was torn down, but how far beyond that did it go. It appears to cross Lakershore and Cottage Grove intersection and maybe run behind the business on Lakeshore.
I don't think it went beyond Sampson Ave, but if it did, maybe a few hundred yards.

In the summer of 1999, rrfan member GR H & C and I worked together at a radio station that occupied the building where Fricano's now is on Western Ave. The radio station was in a wing on that building that was removed I believe sometime in the early 00s. It was really cool to be able to look out the third story radio station windows and see the train passing by below on its way too and from Sappi. Incidentally, GR H & C was the first railfan I ever met and when we discovered we both liked trains, he exclaimed, "Are you my brother?!" :lol: And now here we are 23 years later. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Looking at the old topo, it ended near Lakeshore and Keaton.
I've looked on the STB site and searched the Federal Register but couldn't find any recent filings/decisions for this.
Anyone have a direct link?
I saw the news story about Muskegon was going to purchase the line, but that's it.
https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/loc ... 50098e9e8c

EDIT: later post gives better answer as to end point by referencing a Sanborn map.
Last edited by DaveO on Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

J T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:41 am
chapmaja wrote:
In the summer of 1999, rrfan member GR H & C and I worked together at a radio station that occupied the building where Fricano's now is on Western Ave. The radio station was in a wing on that building that was removed I believe sometime in the early 00s. It was really cool to be able to look out the third story radio station windows and see the train passing by below on its way too and from Sappi. Incidentally, GR H & C was the first railfan I ever met and when we discovered we both liked trains, he exclaimed, "Are you my brother?!" :lol: And now here we are 23 years later. :D
Right on man!
And if I remember correctly you were sitting in your cubicle listening to a recording of a train horn which is how I came to know that you loved trains as well.

Do you remember the time I stood on the tracks and stopped the train live on the air (without permission) Interviewed the crew and got a ride. If I remember correctly it was a GP30

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

While I certainly wish I had more photos of trains on that branch, I'm glad that I did chase a few trains on it over the years.

ImageSouth Horn Branch by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSappi Job by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSouth Horn Take 2 by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSwitching Slurry Tanks by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSappi Switching by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

Image3839 Working Sappi by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSappi Runaround by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageCreek by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr

ImageSappi-Bound by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 am
I've looked on the STB site and searched the Federal Register but couldn't find any recent filings/decisions for this.
Anyone have a direct link?
I saw the news story about Muskegon was going to purchase the line, but that's it.
https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/loc ... 50098e9e8c
When I first explored the line in 1984 the line ran all the way out to an area called Beachwood Buffington near Pigeon Hill. The diamond for the Grand Trunk Western line that ran to their car ferry float was also in place at that time.
Last edited by GRHC on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Those are great pictures SD80MAC!

I do not have firm numbers about what was shipped from Sappi but I have heard anywhere from 20-30 cars a week to as many as 60 outbound box cars alone not including inbound traffic.
SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 am
While I certainly wish I had more photos of trains on that branch, I'm glad that I did chase a few trains on it over the years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 am
When I first explored the line in 1984 the line ran all the way out to an area called Beachwood Buffington near Pigeon Hill. The diamond for the Grand Trunk Western line that ran to their car ferry float was also in place at that time.
Sounds about right. Here's the oldest map I could find that shows about where the line ran near Pigeon Hill:
Only a few photos that I've managed to photograph on that section:
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-22 100236.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:17 am

Ahh, yes. Back in '99 I did do a little snooping around that area and I seem to recall seeing remnants of would could have been a ROW extending beyond Sampson Ave.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:09 am
J T wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:41 am
chapmaja wrote:
Right on man!
And if I remember correctly you were sitting in your cubicle listening to a recording of a train horn which is how I came to know that you loved trains as well.

Do you remember the time I stood on the tracks and stopped the train live on the air (without permission) Interviewed the crew and got a ride. If I remember correctly it was a GP30
Ha! Another morning show stunt. I wish we had some pics/videos of that. No clue on locomotive. I just remember seeing trains. I've never been very good at identifying locomotive models. :oops:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:35 am

ImageSouth Horn Branch by Jonathon Leese, on Flickr
A familiar sight for us for a few months back in '99! I just wish I had thought to take photos back then. Still kicking myself for that one.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:03 am
GR H & C wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:57 am
Sounds about right. Here's the oldest map I could find that shows about where the line ran near Pigeon Hill:
Only a few photos that I've managed to photograph on that section:

My guess is the rails used to go as far as the Muskegon Water Treatment Plant, which apparently dates back to 1927 or so. Back then I think it was common for water treatment chemicals to arrive at plants via rail. Much more so than it is now.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

It served the water plant.
It ended next to the channel where Lake Avenue Bluff jogs as does the seawall.
This is shown on the Sanborn map.
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g4114mm.g04122191101/?sp=1

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:03 pm
The rail line also served an amusement park called Lake Michigan Park that was near the water treatment plant and is the current location of Pere Marquette Park. I also found another interesting picture which shows there was a Pere Marquette Lake Michigan car ferry operation by the channel. (car ferry operations in Muskegon discontinued in 1906)
Attachments
7E54D00C-F7AC-40E1-85E1-6948E8AD2A2C.jpeg
7E54D00C-F7AC-40E1-85E1-6948E8AD2A2C.jpeg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 9300 times
B6D91E2C-8FE5-4D7B-91F7-2AD96896AFE1.jpeg
CF2B9BE7-4FA0-4B12-B827-B237C6535AF8.jpeg
Last edited by GRHC on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:03 pm
Interesting how the alignment of the ROW on that map is different from where it appears to have been in current satellite views. There were tracks that crossed Lakeshore Dr right at the Cottage Grove St intersection. Does this suggest that those tracks were actually just a part of a short spur?

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

That blue loco, number 180-- at one time in its past, did it work for a Canadian shortline? I cannot remember the name of the line, but that chopped hood and number boards look familiar.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

originally Quebec Cartier Mining 6

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 am
That blue loco, number 180-- at one time in its past, did it work for a Canadian shortline? I cannot remember the name of the line, but that chopped hood and number boards look familiar.
Both 180 and 179 both worked for Goderich & Exeter in Ontario before coming to the MS in 2005.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

That's it! I knew that loco looked familiar--thank you!!