Muskegon Abandonment

Any historical questions can be posted here. Answers would certainly help as well :)
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Muskegon Abandonment

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The line originally ended at the car ferry slip, which is where the USS Silversides is currently moored.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:41 am
The line originally ended at the car ferry slip, which is where the USS Silversides is currently moored.
Makes sense that there was a slip there given the profile of the wall there in the channel.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Here use my pic I posted earlier
Attachments
5BC37C06-0A6E-496D-A8ED-CB57FE72D282.jpeg

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:12 pm
Ben Higdon wrote:
Makes sense given how the wall is angled there.
100%

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Makes sense that there was a slip there given the profile of the wall there in the channel and how the wall is angled there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Ben Higdon wrote:
After looking at it on Google Maps, I agree that it makes sense that there was a slip there, based on how the wall is angled.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:13 am
Ben Higdon wrote:
After looking at it on Google Maps, I agree that it makes sense that there was a slip there, based on how the wall is angled.
Most definitely the angle tells me that there must’ve been a car ferry slip there. You don’t even need to look at the above picture of the Pere Marquette car ferry at the Muskegon channel slip that was taken in 1905 that I posted.
Last edited by GRHC on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

So we can all agree that there was a ferry slip there based on the profile of the wall there and how the wall is angled there?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

J T wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:17 pm
So we can all agree that there was a ferry slip there based on the profile of the wall there and how the wall is angled there?
I think we can all agree the car ferry slip was there and that's why the wall is angled the way it is. What I am wondering though is if there was a small yard or siding there to service the car ferry, or we the cars pushed all the way up the branch to get to the ferry operation so the power would be on the non-ferry end of the train. One other possibility would have been a two locomotive system, with one pulling the train up the branch, cutting off the train onto a short siding and a second then pushing the cars onto the ferry.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

So I was at the area being discussed a few years ago and saw the angle of the wall, I thought to myself, self, the angle of this wall leads me to believe there was once a ferry slip here; and the angle projects towards a now abandoned rail spur.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

J T wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:17 pm
Idk man. I think I’d need to see some photographic evidence personally.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

George Hilton's "The Great Lakes Car Ferries" notes that carferries first ran from Muskegon to Milwaukee from 1897 to 1908. Operated by the Detroit Grand Rapids & Western, then the PM. By the end, it was only used in summer months, especially for shipments of Michigan fruit to Milwaukee.

After that, there was no RR ferry service in Muskegon until the GTW moved operations from Grand Haven.

Part of Sanborn 1911 key map, unfortunately no detailed map given for that area.
muskegon.png
How it looked in 1953. It appears much of that south channel wall was realigned after ferry service ended.
Muskegon 1953.png

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Steve B wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:21 pm
How it looked in 1953. It appears much of that south channel wall was realigned after ferry service ended.
How DARE you question the fact that the angle of the contemporary walls definitely confirms that there was once a ferry slip there!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

So I do believe we’re all in agreement that it makes sense that there was a slip there given the profile of the wall there in the channel and how the wall is angled there. We can also all agree that the book by George Hilton The Great Lakes car ferries is indeed factual based on the fact that the profile of the wall there in the channel and how the wall is angled there shows there was once a car ferry slip there which is where the USS Silversides is currently moored.
Last edited by GRHC on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Enough about the angle of the dangle being inversely proportional to the heat of the beat, or these two guys will lock this thread. Feel free to answer chapmaja's question.

Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

There was a three track yard (3 passing tracks) and there were two sets of tracks to two different car ferry slips.

I found a detailed 1900 map on the Historic Map Works website.
I don’t know how to post links so I can’t do that but it was listed as the Muskegon city west end item #US20877

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:06 am
How far did this track used to go. I know it went beyond the paper mill that closed and was torn down, but how far beyond that did it go. It appears to cross Lakershore and Cottage Grove intersection and maybe run behind the business on Lakeshore.
The NOAA Nautical chart from 1902 shows the slip, labeled as a “Carferry Slip” and a small yard to the west of the slip.

The chart can be found at this link https://historicalcharts.noaa.gov/
Search for Muskegon

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm
Enough about the angle of the dangle being proportionate to the heat of the beat, or these two guys will lock this thread. Feel free to answer chapmaja's question.

My phone was acting up on my end at one point and it was froze on the "post a reply" screen. I later went back and posted again. Only now am I realizing that I accidentally posted duplicate threads, so that part is my fault.

I would delete my duplicate comment but it doesn't appear I can, or I don't know how. I'd appreciate if you'd remove the rest of the unnecessary comments afterwards since I guess no one has anything else better to do but act childish.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I missed it too. It is taken care of.
MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:49 pm
My phone was acting up on my end at one point and it was froze on the "post a reply" screen. I later went back and posted again. Only now am I realizing that I accidentally posted duplicate threads, so that part is my fault.

I would delete my duplicate comment but it doesn't appear I can, or I don't know how. I'd appreciate if you'd remove the rest of the unnecessary comments afterwards since I guess no one has anything else better to do but act childish.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...