LS&I U Boats

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

LS&I U Boats

Unread post by CSXBOY »

When I was attending Durand Railroad Days a couple weeks back, I was told by some railfans that the end of the last two remaining ex BN U boats were nearing that LS&I was going to retire them by the end of the year. It truly is a shame if that is. I went up to Marquette briefly on the way to the CN Iron Range near Duluth to scout them and had zero luck. I also have some buddies who go to Northern Michigan up there and they told me they see them but not as often as they see the bluebirds more frequent. I hope to get up there eventually again when I get the chance to visit my buddies and hopefully scout them but it looks very bleak. Can anyone confirm if the LS&I is getting rid of them?

Thanks
Last edited by CSXBOY on Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: LS&I U Boats

Unread post by AARR »

I thought someone said they would keep a couple of them around as spares. I will see if I can find the post.

Not I am wondering if I read that in the recent Trans Magazine article featuring short line railroads including West Michigan.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The last I knew there were two U-boats still on the active roster. Unfortunately most of my LS&I contacts have retired but I will see if I can find out the latest rumor.

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

Any updates?

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

3000, 3009, 3073 are the last three remaining operating units. 3074 had catastrophic failure last summer and is sitting on the deadline. The greens haven’t been used much at all this year, due to slow shipping season and will be sidelined when the new 4400's show up later this year. My guess is two of the better operating ones will be stored and one will be scrapped along with 3011 and 3074. 3011 has been on the deadline since March 2015.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

CSXBOY wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:58 pm
When I was attending Durand Railroad Days a couple weeks back, I was told by some railfans that the end of the last two remaining ex BN U boats were nearing that LS&I was going to retire them by the end of the year. It truly is a shame if that is. I went up to Marquette briefly on the way to the CN Iron Range near Duluth to scout them and had zero luck. I also have some buddies who go to Northern Michigan up there and they told me they see them but not as often as they see the bluebirds more frequent. I hope to get up there eventually again when I get the chance to visit my buddies and hopefully scout them but it looks very bleak. Can anyone confirm if the LS&I is getting rid of them?

Thanks
CSXBOY, start reading "Upper Peninsula Railroad Operations Thread" page 3 here! This should explain enough! I made it to the U.P. in April/May! My April trip is compiled on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34204&start=40
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

LS&I 3000 & 3009 running light to Tilden mine Aug 31 at Eagle Mills Jct. 10:21a.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

DIB posted a video yesterday showing the Dash-7s in action.

https://youtu.be/0mQNAL06-Rs