Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by GRHC »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:39 pm
Endeavour and Keystone merged. No sale.
CERES SOLUTIONS, CO-ALLIANCE & ENDEAVOR AG & ENERGY ALL BECOME KEYSTONE COOPERATIVE.
https://www.keystonecoop.com/welcome

You are right SD80MAC no sale just a merger same result Endeavor becomes Keystone.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Endeavor was already a joint venture between Ceres Solutions and Co-Alliance. Interesting development nonetheless.
https://www.croplife.com/croplife-top-1 ... -michigan/

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:31 pm
Endeavor was already a joint venture between Ceres Solutions and Co-Alliance. Interesting development nonetheless.
https://www.croplife.com/croplife-top-1 ... -michigan/
Who is who and what is what. lol
It didn’t take them long to change the signage on the elevator in Harlem Michigan I know that.
I hope that Keystone continues utilizing rail service at the Hamilton and Harlem Michigan facilities.

Disclaimer: The word on the street was that the Harlem Michigan Endeavor facility became Keystone. I just assumed it was a sale that was my bad.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Work on the Hamilton Northwestern transload facility located in Fillmore Michigan is underway. Here’s a couple of pictures of the work in progress.
03/08/2024
522DD46E-A887-490E-9F23-86D32775303E.jpeg
8B333F95-4A58-4A49-92E3-EC1B46B14321.jpeg

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

They do own a decent chunk of land there in Fillmore at the Fillmore Rd crossing. Looks like the local farmer has crops on some of their land, and a nearby house has a small building on their property too. Guess we'll see how large the transload gets as time goes on.
Attachments
Fillmore.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I can’t help but wonder if someday the HNW will extend the siding back across Fillmore Rd. like it was in the past. I also wonder if the HNW will be required to put signals and crossing protection up at the Fillmore Rd. grade crossing.

From the looks of it they can start unloading rail cars today.
03/09/2024
492B1D45-65F5-47C3-8356-92EC3613A2ED.jpeg
FF14DFDD-5A39-48EE-BFC1-ECAC77C833CB.jpeg

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

GRHC wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:48 am
I can’t help but wonder if someday the HNW will extend the siding back across Fillmore Rd. like it was in the past. I also wonder if the HNW will be required to put signals and crossing protection up at the Fillmore Rd. grade crossing.

From the looks of it they can start unloading rail cars today.
03/09/2024
492B1D45-65F5-47C3-8356-92EC3613A2ED.jpeg
FF14DFDD-5A39-48EE-BFC1-ECAC77C833CB.jpeg
It's all being built to the north, no changes at the crossing. There will be a run around built. Should really make things efficient and easy when its all completed
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

I wonder what the range is on a transload site such as this. 15-20 miles?

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:04 pm
I thought I read somewhere‘s on RailRoadFan.com that the WMI was transloading apples that were transported up to Traverse City Michigan for Gogo Squeez. So who knows what the actual range on a transload site could be.
Here’s an interesting thought. If Gogo Squeez transloaded those apples from the HNW opposed to the WMI I would assume it would save them some on transportation cost. Who knows what the future will hold for the HNW we may see refers and who knows what else in Fillmore Michigan.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

GRHC wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:55 pm
Erroneous Monk wrote:
I thought I read somewhere‘s on RailRoadFan.com that the WMI was transloading apples that were transported up to Traverse City Michigan for Gogo Squeez. So who knows what the actual range on a transload site could be.
Here’s an interesting thought. If Gogo Squeez transloaded those apples from the HNW opposed to the WMI I would assume it would save them some on transportation cost. Who knows what the future will hold for the HNW we may see refers and who knows what else in Fillmore Michigan.
Now if only it were cost effective to ship those apples directly to Go Go Squeeze and avoid the transload period, lol. Obviously it must be much less costly to transload and truck north.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

TC Man wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:13 pm
GRHC wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:55 pm
Erroneous Monk wrote:
Now if only it were cost effective to ship those apples directly to Go Go Squeeze and avoid the transload period, lol. Obviously it must be much less costly to transload and truck north.
I think we figured out it added 3-4 days to have them go up via GLC, versus transloading them in Hartford. Also, I do not believe they still have this business.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Does anybody know if any of the transload business on the WMI going to be moved up here for the sake of efficiency for the customers involved? Ya know more northern customers will get their product up in Fillmore and customers closer to the state line will get their stuff in Hartford?

Bet the local residents sure are curious as to what's going on. Probably has been decades since little ol' Fillmore has seen this kind of activity!
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

~Z~ wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:17 am
They do own a decent chunk of land there in Fillmore at the Fillmore Rd crossing. Looks like the local farmer has crops on some of their land, and a nearby house has a small building on their property too. Guess we'll see how large the transload gets as time goes on.
I wonder why the railroad owns so much land here? Basically everyone who is next to the tracks is infringing on it in some way.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

"I wonder why the railroad owns so much land here? Basically everyone who is next to the tracks is infringing on it in some way."

Back in the day, Fillmore had a depot and a few other buildings and at least two tracks. So, the railroad had a larger tract of land for these buildings and tracks. While the buildings are gone....the railroad retained the land, which now allows for the transload facilities.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

C&O6088 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 am
"I wonder why the railroad owns so much land here? Basically everyone who is next to the tracks is infringing on it in some way."

Back in the day, Fillmore had a depot and a few other buildings and at least two tracks. So, the railroad had a larger tract of land for these buildings and tracks. While the buildings are gone....the railroad retained the land, which now allows for the transload facilities.
Topographical maps from the 1930s until the present show a single siding. Aerial photos from The 1940s and 1950s show a single siding and a very large industry where the transload facility is now located.
On the southside of Fillmore Road on the east side of the tracks there’s an old foundation which makes me wonder if that could be the old station.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the future. I have to wonder if the facility will be fenced in and secured and if so will they store the power on site.
It looks like most of the activity on the line will be between Holland and Fillmore Michigan and it would make economical sense to store the engines in Fillmore versus Hamilton.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

GRHC wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am
On the southside of Fillmore Road on the east side of the tracks there’s an old foundation which makes me wonder if that could be the old station.
yes according to 1913 atlas

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

There are already in a secure fenced in facility where they are.

And yet it still does not seem to stop buffs from trespassing.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

C&O6088 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:26 am
Neat, any pics floating around?

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

DaveO wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:25 pm
GRHC wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:36 am
yes according to 1913 atlas
https://historicmapworks.com/Map/US/160 ... /Michigan/

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

12Bridge wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:49 pm
There are already in a secure fenced in facility where they are.

And yet it still does not seem to stop buffs from trespassing.
But if they obeyed the signs we wouldn't have all that fun watching the camera footages of the sweatpants brigade.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e