Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
J T
Hates Supper

Re: Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co.

Unread post by J T »

Jetlink wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am
So what about the old trestle? Who is responsible for it, CSX (probably not) Hamilton Hartford group (probably not), Hamilton feed or the ag outfit at the end of the line whatever they are called now (most likely; if the line was abandoned to them as a private industrial track). Seems to me the maintenance and inspection of this bridge is an Achilles heel to the operation of the line. Or at least the one customer on the end of it.
There was some maintenance work done on the bridge 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember the name of the company that did it. I had received an email from an employee of that company regarding a photo I had posted on railpics. If I could find that email I could tell you the name, but I'm not sure if I'll have much luck. That said, I'm not sure who is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

J T wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Jetlink wrote:
So what about the old trestle? Who is responsible for it, CSX (probably not) Hamilton Hartford group (probably not), Hamilton feed or the ag outfit at the end of the line whatever they are called now (most likely; if the line was abandoned to them as a private industrial track). Seems to me the maintenance and inspection of this bridge is an Achilles heel to the operation of the line. Or at least the one customer on the end of it.
There was some maintenance work done on the bridge 10-15 years ago, but I can't remember the name of the company that did it. I had received an email from an employee of that company regarding a photo I had posted on railpics. If I could find that email I could tell you the name, but I'm not sure if I'll have much luck. That said, I'm not sure who is responsible for the upkeep of the bridge.
The line itself from Holland to Hamilton had major rehabilitation work somewhere between 1984 and 1987

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

J T wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:56 pm
Jetlink wrote:
After reading the STB filings, the elevator in Hamilton has owned the spur from the point where CSX abandoned it and sold it to them. I believe the elevator has been responsible for the upkeep of the trestle.

This is an interesting STB filing because it involves buying a private industry spur and bringing it back to common carrier status.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Jetlink wrote:
Depends on what the contract would dictate per the operating agreement. CSX was the operator but the elevator owned the line so would that make the elevator the custodians?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Per a reliable source, CSX will be making their last run to Hamilton tomorrow(5/24), leaving Waverly in Holland approx 7:45am, so get those photos if you want to in the morning.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Can someone assist me? I cannot find Lumbermen's on the Holland Branch.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:47 am
Can someone assist me? I cannot find Lumbermen's on the Holland Branch.
It’s the old Lifesavers Plant on the corner of Waverly and 48th St. big huge place.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

~Z~ wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:24 pm
Per a reliable source, CSX will be making their last run to Hamilton tomorrow(5/24), leaving Waverly in Holland approx 7:45am, so get those photos if you want to in the morning.
That means new HNW power should be coming to the line shortly. I would say be on the lookout for that.
I would assume they’re going to bring power up from Hartford and I would also assume it would be brought up on L301-? eastbound in the near future.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

CSX made their last run this morning.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Do we know exactly where the interchange will be taking place?

C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O6088 »

I can see the interchange taking place at one of two places.
1) Runaround Track by Lumbermans/Sherwin Williams just northwest of Waverly.
2) CSX allows for rights to Waverly Yard like Michigan Shore.

C&O

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

C&O6088 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 pm
I can see the interchange taking place at one of two places.
1) Runaround Track by Lumbermans/Sherwin Williams just northwest of Waverly.
2) CSX allows for rights to Waverly Yard like Michigan Shore.

C&O
It’s in the STB docs. They will be going to Waverly for the interchange.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 pm

From the STB doc:

"Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co. (HNW), a noncarrier, has filed a verified notice of exemption pursuant to 49 C.F.R. § 1150.31 to acquire and operate approximately 6.10 miles of track in Allegan County, Mich., extending from a point of connection with a line of CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT), at milepost 19.00 in Holland, Mich., to milepost 12.90 in Hamilton, Mich. (the Line).1"

By my calculation mile 19.00 is proximate to I-196.
No mention being made of rights to Waverly Yard.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:45 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 pm

From the STB doc:

"Hamilton Northwestern Railroad Co. (HNW), a noncarrier, has filed a verified notice of exemption pursuant to 49 C.F.R. § 1150.31 to acquire and operate approximately 6.10 miles of track in Allegan County, Mich., extending from a point of connection with a line of CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSXT), at milepost 19.00 in Holland, Mich., to milepost 12.90 in Hamilton, Mich. (the Line).1"

By my calculation mile 19.00 is proximate to I-196.
No mention being made of rights to Waverly Yard.
They going to Waverly for the interchange. Also can use the Wye. MP15s to rule Holland.

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:40 am
They going to Waverly for the interchange. Also can use the Wye. MP15s to rule Holland.
Blah... not an ALCo... blah... not a CF7...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Right-o. Word has it that GLLX 1416 will arrive within the next few days from Hartford, and GLLX 1397 later in June.
GLLX 1416: https://www.flickr.com/photos/conrail6809/49142352337/
GLLX 1397: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4541101
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Foam will be pleased to know that 1416 has recently received some paint work and 1397 will soon, too.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

They might look a little different then that.

JBaxter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JBaxter »

~Z~ wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:29 am
Right-o. Word has it that GLLX 1416 will arrive within the next few days from Hartford, and GLLX 1397 later in June.
GLLX 1416: https://www.flickr.com/photos/conrail6809/49142352337/
GLLX 1397: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4541101
Do we know if GLLX 1416 will stay in Waverly for a while or will it go down the branch next week?

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Its not even there yet.