Future of the Plymouth Sub/Grand Rapids Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Future of the Plymouth Sub/Grand Rapids Sub

Unread post by SD80MAC »

HAHAHA LSR HAHAHA
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:01 pm
TSS wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:27 pm
Was out and about on Saturday, driving Red Arrow Highway from Hartford to Benton Harbor. Heavy green paint markings applied to the tail and ties indicate what I assume is going to be a tie replacement project. From the grade crossings in Hartford, Watervliet, Coloma, and at Kerlikowske Rd near Riverside, it looked like a high percentage of the ties were marked for replacement. Without stopping to count, I’d guess 50%+. The asphalt crossings had also been cut with a pavement saw to permit renewal.
Clearly the sign that they are selling it to CP
Better make some room for that new intermodal service to Grand Rapids from Mexico :P
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 10:47 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:01 pm
TSS wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:27 pm
Was out and about on Saturday, driving Red Arrow Highway from Hartford to Benton Harbor. Heavy green paint markings applied to the tail and ties indicate what I assume is going to be a tie replacement project. From the grade crossings in Hartford, Watervliet, Coloma, and at Kerlikowske Rd near Riverside, it looked like a high percentage of the ties were marked for replacement. Without stopping to count, I’d guess 50%+. The asphalt crossings had also been cut with a pavement saw to permit renewal.
Clearly the sign that they are selling it to CP
Better make some room for that new intermodal service to Grand Rapids from Mexico :P
I’m waiting for the unit lignite trains from North Dakota to start. :lol:

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

09/03/2023 progress is being made on the Coastal Container siding in Holland Michigan.
The roadbed has been graded and they are preparing to cut in the switch on the main line.

Note: The future looks so bright for the Grand Rapids subdivision I gotta wear shades. 😎

629BA08E-C8C1-45B5-BFCC-ED6A5C681073.jpeg
398D9150-EE09-4E73-AA24-200B76B433F7.jpeg
A5878E6F-0A95-4242-9699-0F3B1B98EE62.jpeg

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

GRHC wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:43 pm

Note: The future looks so bright for the Grand Rapids subdivision I gotta wear shades. 😎
Try saying that in 2025 after a very important customer that receives a unit train every day closes

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

kd_1014 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:38 am
GRHC wrote:

Try saying that in 2025 after a very important customer that receives a unit train every day closes
It’s like life in general you pick up the pieces and move on. You can be as negative as you want but I’m not gonna let you piss on my parade I am still gonna look at it in a positive light. 😎

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

GRHC wrote:
09/03/2023 progress is being made on the Coastal Container siding in Holland Michigan.
The roadbed has been graded and they are preparing to cut in the switch on the main line.

GRHC! Glad you got some photos of the new Coastal Container siding under construction. I drove through earlier last weekend but no chance for photos. The track alignment comes off the mainline slightly to the north of the entrance into the north side of the plant. Based on what I saw, the route will have a gentle reverse curve to the west of the Industrial Avenue crossing and then an alignment straight over the road and into the indoor loading dock…just enough to keep someone busy with a rail bender :lol: . You can see the new building and the loading dock door the track will go into in GRHC’s second photo; it’s the taller skinnier door on the left in the far distance. Can’t wait to see cars being shoved in!

I wonder if the forthcoming tie and track crew coming to work further down the line between Bangor and St Joe will migrate east/north to cut in that new switch kit onto the main line?

Thanks for sharing.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Does anyone have an approximate mile post where the new Holland switch will be, and, what are the nearest crossings to it? I'd like to view the area on Google Earth, thank you :)

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Tom49801 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:02 am
Does anyone have an approximate mile post where the new Holland switch will be, and, what are the nearest crossings to it? I'd like to view the area on Google Earth, thank you :)
Basically where this red line is. Coastal Container is at: 1201 Industrial Ave, Holland, MI 49423
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-09-06 082009.png
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:03 pm

GRHC! Glad you got some photos of the new Coastal Container siding under construction.
I've been documenting the creation of this spur for about 6 months now. I've got a few pics, just have never bothered to post them. :) I did the same with the Plascor spur in Zeeland back when they put that in.
~Z~ wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:23 am
Tom49801 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:02 am
Basically where this red line is. Coastal Container is at: 1201 Industrial Ave, Holland, MI 49423
Your line needs a little tweak, but that's pretty close. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

J T wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:42 pm
GP30M4216 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:03 pm

GRHC! Glad you got some photos of the new Coastal Container siding under construction.
I've been documenting the creation of this spur for about 6 months now. I've got a few pics, just have never bothered to post them. :) I did the same with the Plascor spur in Zeeland back when they put that in.
I’d love to see a few of your Plastcore shots sometime JT! What year was that siding built? It’s neat to see evidence of a few newer customers out there. Somewhere I had a couple photos of the Beacon Recycling spurs being graded along Godfrey in GR but I think they were deleted by mistake.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:39 pm

I’d love to see a few of your Plastcore shots sometime JT! What year was that siding built? It’s neat to see evidence of a few newer customers out there. Somewhere I had a couple photos of the Beacon Recycling spurs being graded along Godfrey in GR but I think they were deleted by mistake.
I thought I had posted more pics in this thread, but at least it gives you an idea of when that spur was installed. http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... t=Plascore
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I can help - here's JT's photos of the Plascore spur, taken back in 2007..that "new" spur is 16 years old now.... :(
https://railroadfan.com/gallery/thumbna ... n&type=AND
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

I will testify on JT’s behalf that he has been documenting the new Coastal Container siding and has been sending me updates and pictures via text messages.

Sidebar: when Plascore had their new siding installed in 2007 it cost $600,000 which included a hefty payment to CSX for cutting into the main line. I can only imagine what the cost is for Coastal Containers new siding.

Plascore siding 2023
042627A4-D770-4123-8530-9406166468C2.jpeg
9A8E6B39-6F17-4CA7-A9E5-8DB5CAA8FD12.jpeg
Last edited by GRHC on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparrow24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sparrow24 »

GRHC wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:18 am
Sidebar: when Plascore had their new siding installed in 2007 it cost $600,000 which included a hefty payment to CSX for cutting into the main line. I can only imagine what the cost is for Coastal Containers new siding.
I work for a commercial design-build firm, we just finished a large warehouse project in Ohio adding a spur along a shortline there. Labor and materials for adding that spur were around $400,000. Not sure if our client had to pay more to the railroad on their end.

We have a new project along the CSX Plymouth Sub, the client is talking about adding a spur. I'm working more directly on that project, so if it happens I'll know more. Unfortunately, I can't give specifics due to NDAs on these projects... but indeed, railroad work is expensive!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

sparrow24 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:50 am
GRHC wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:18 am
I work for a commercial design-build firm, we just finished a large warehouse project in Ohio adding a spur along a shortline there. Labor and materials for adding that spur were around $400,000. Not sure if our client had to pay more to the railroad on their end.

We have a new project along the CSX Plymouth Sub, the client is talking about adding a spur. I'm working more directly on that project, so if it happens I'll know more. Unfortunately, I can't give specifics due to NDAs on these projects... but indeed, railroad work is expensive!
$400,000 sounds like cost for the on-property construction. The turnout, install thereof and other considerations paid to the railroad was also likely a similar sum.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

The intermediate signal at W/E Sunfield had a “out of service” tag on the ladder, marked 3/23 as of Tuesday night. Not sure why it was marked at that date as I don’t remember seeing the tag there before the signal suspension.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

GRHC wrote:

629BA08E-C8C1-45B5-BFCC-ED6A5C681073.jpeg
398D9150-EE09-4E73-AA24-200B76B433F7.jpeg
A5878E6F-0A95-4242-9699-0F3B1B98EE62.jpeg
Heard L301-12 as he was going westward over the St Joseph Bridge saying to the Bridge Tender the new switch in Holland is being cut in today & he needs to hurry back eastward. I'm assuming he's talking about the new siding for Coastal Container.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

GRHC wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:49 am
kd_1014 wrote:
GRHC wrote:

It’s like life in general you pick up the pieces and move on. You can be as negative as you want but I’m not gonna let you piss on my parade I am still gonna look at it in a positive light. 😎
Looks like this spur is being built on the alignment of an older spur, laid somewhere between 1969 and 1981 based on historicaerials

My bet is CSX will take a page out of the NS Michigan Line playbook, and let the GR Sub go to seed once Consumers is done, until the state buys it for Amtrak service. It would be more financially responsible to reroute the Pere Marquette via Kalamazoo and terminate at Holland, and abandon the GR Sub south of Holland. But if/when taxpayers are the primary supporter of this trackage, I won't hold my breath for responsible use of funding to determine the decision-making.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Ben Higdon wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:26 pm
GRHC wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:49 am
kd_1014 wrote:
Looks like this spur is being built on the alignment of an older spur, laid somewhere between 1969 and 1981 based on historicaerials

My bet is CSX will take a page out of the NS Michigan Line playbook, and let the GR Sub go to seed once Consumers is done, until the state buys it for Amtrak service. It would be more financially responsible to reroute the Pere Marquette via Kalamazoo and terminate at Holland, and abandon the GR Sub south of Holland. But if/when taxpayers are the primary supporter of this trackage, I won't hold my breath for responsible use of funding to determine the decision-making.
Lol you’re a day late and a dollar short on the history of the siding that’s already been discussed on this thread.
As for the Grand Rapids subdivision I’m sure if it could speak it would say the speculation on my death has been greatly exaggerated.