FS Slides of the Pinconning & Blind River RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

FS Slides of the Pinconning & Blind River RR

Unread post by sandpatch1 »

While cleaing i found a coin box of about 160 slides of the P&BR RR, This was a live steam operation in SW Michigan, kodachromes, 1968 , photos of laying Rail. The F Unit Diesel and A big Hudson steam engine, AND a SHAY under construction,also the owners and crew photos, scenery and watering and running, big trestles $50 offer plus shipping, thank you dave jakkubiec
[attachment=0]8A935A21-6232-4BE9-B804-E4BDEFF7D2B8.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
8A935A21-6232-4BE9-B804-E4BDEFF7D2B8.jpeg

J T
Hates Supper

Re: FS Slides of the Pinconning & Blind River RR

Unread post by J T »

SW Michigan? This was a miniature railroad near the thumb, right?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The P&BR equipment is in Fairview on the Au Sable Valley Railroad, about 40 minutes' drive east of Grayling, just off of M-33.

The railroad was sold by the Schraders and the new owner has plans to put it back into service, but has run into difficulties- see https://mavrailroad.com for an update from 2020.
-Fritz Milhaupt

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

It appears they are selling all or part to recoup some of their investment.

https://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverf ... index1.htm

The original P&BR was further off the main road in the northern Michigan woods.
The Shay was not sold to Schraders with the other equipment.

telmore1964
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by telmore1964 »

Do you still have the slides of the P&BR for sale I am interested in them.

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry, gave them to a museum

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

The original P&BR was on the west side of S. Abbe Road south off M-33 and M-72 in Fairview in Northern MI.

telmore1964
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by telmore1964 »

You are correct about the location of the original P&BR. Today that property is owned by a hunting lodge and they still have some track there and the original MTC gas powered locomotive. That property was originally built by Edwin Carrington Eddy starting in the 1930's up until his death in 1973. Carrington's nephew inherited the property and sold it off around 1977. Carrington's nephew moved most of the rolling stock to his home a short distance away. This included the oil fired Hudson and wood fired Shay. The Hudson was sold to Howard Schrader of the Michigan Ausable Valley Railroad in the 90's which was located nearby and I like to refer this as the trinity of miniature 16" gauge railroads since there were 3 all located within a few miles of each other. Only one was open to the public and that was the MAVRR and the other two are private. As most of you might know the the Schrader's retired 4 years ago and sold the MAVRR. The new owners of the MAVRR had health issues and let the railroad decline into a real mess. They just sold off the rolling stock last month to a person from Texas and it is now all being moved there and this includes the Hudson. This is a real shame that all this history is leaving Michigan. Mr. Eddy's nephew now in his 90's still owns the Shay and I have been helping to take care of it for 20 years now. If I had the means to buy the MAVRR property I would and reopen it and return it to it once was.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

telmore1964 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:15 pm
You are correct about the location of the original P&BR. Today that property is owned by a hunting lodge and they still have some track there and the original MTC gas powered locomotive. That property was originally built by Edwin Carrington Eddy starting in the 1930's up until his death in 1973. Carrington's nephew inherited the property and sold it off around 1977. Carrington's nephew moved most of the rolling stock to his home a short distance away. This included the oil fired Hudson and wood fired Shay. The Hudson was sold to Howard Schrader of the Michigan Ausable Valley Railroad in the 90's which was located nearby and I like to refer this as the trinity of miniature 16" gauge railroads since there were 3 all located within a few miles of each other. Only one was open to the public and that was the MAVRR and the other two are private. As most of you might know the the Schrader's retired 4 years ago and sold the MAVRR. The new owners of the MAVRR had health issues and let the railroad decline into a real mess. They just sold off the rolling stock last month to a person from Texas and it is now all being moved there and this includes the Hudson. This is a real shame that all this history is leaving Michigan. Mr. Eddy's nephew now in his 90's still owns the Shay and I have been helping to take care of it for 20 years now. If I had the means to buy the MAVRR property I would and reopen it and return it to it once was.
They did not let the railroad decline to my understanding. Termites were found to have got to the trestles and COVID combined with the health issues all just formed a perfect storm to kill the railroad.

I’d love to come check out the Shay sometime with permission, is it operable? My grandparents have a cottage in Lewiston and I frequented the ASV before it’s closure.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

sandpatch1
Railroadfan...fan

Telemore 1964, check with Ron Cady he may have some