Mount Elliott grain container/JAIL Lansing transloads.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Mount Elliott grain container/JAIL Lansing transloads.

Unread post by redside20 »

Never knew JAil, Detroit Connecting and Railmark were involved but this has been going since 2015 where grain is, was, or will be tranloaded into containers at mount elliott yard. Initially i was perusing the Dc site on rrfanwiki and saw rail transload solutions. Saginaw yard in Lansing too. Interesting operations by ADBF cluster roads.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Mount Elliott grain container/JAIL Lansing transloads.

Unread post by AARR »

redside, I would like to respond but I do not know exactly what you are stating/asking?

None of the ADBF railroads are loading containers.

DCON does not have a yard at Mt. Elliot.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Agreed - I read Redside's post, and all I could think of was the recent Geico commercial with the robot laserbeaming the coffee that says Rob Ott. Took a screenshot and added some meme text to it :)
Attachments
ErrorHuman2.jpg
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

US Transloading Services. 20300 Mt Elliot. Operated by Railmark. Also have locations on the ADBF in Detroit and Lansing.

Grain is loaded into containers and shipped via truck for loading onto train. They also transload other materials from trains as well.

http://www.railmark.com/RailmarkOperati ... ations.php

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

This must either be new or never came to fruition, because I have never seen or heard of them transloading at either ADBF location.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Me neither :? .
1TrackMind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:21 pm
This must either be new or never came to fruition, because I have never seen or heard of them transloading at either ADBF location.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Google maps shows this place at the Elliott location.
https://us-transloading-services-llc.business.site/

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

The only transloading on the DCON is tank cars.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

1TrackMind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:31 pm
Do you know if Boomer Construction is still a DCON customer?

This list up to date?:
Ferrous Processing & Trading - Gondolas
US Ecology - Tank Cars
ExxonMobil Lubricants/Vesco Oil - Tank Cars
DCON Transload - Tank Cars

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

DCON for a short time a few years ago was storing loaded hoppers for some company, first at Ferry Yard, then just past Warren Avenue on the mainline (where the oil company located there now unloads (not really transloads) motor oil from tank cars on the mainline in the fenced area). A few times the company unloaded (transloaded) the contents of the covered hoppers to trucks (or vice versa) and that was when they were spotted on the mainline south of Warren Avenue. I think it was grain.

JAIL for a while spotted tank cars on its long siding at Mason next to the box company siding and a company unloaded (or loaded, can't recall) them there. This was on the spur that MSU used to unload coal hoppers to trucks when they got a loads of coal in hoppers from Conrail instead of CSX and then trucked it up US 127 to the power plant. MSU no longer heats with coal. This tank car transloading business was picked up by some other local railroad who made a lower bid for it than JAIL.

Lapeer Industrial for a few years had a small transloading operation on their mainline. They would spot an empty tank car and some company would truck in salt brine and load the tank car for shipping to New York City during the winter for deicing roads. I hear this business was lost to Huron & Eastern or some railroad in the Thumb, again outbid in the pricing.

Transloading business is a good one to pick up for a shortline but since the shipper is pretty flexible as to location it is easily "stolen" by another railroad who outbids it.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm
1TrackMind wrote:

This list up to date?:
US Ecology - Tank Cars
The list is up to date. Boomer has not shipped in years, and their spur shows no evidence of shipping again anytime soon.
Manistique wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:01 pm
DCON for a short time a few years ago was storing loaded hoppers for some company, first at Ferry Yard, then just past Warren Avenue on the mainline (where the oil company located there now unloads (not really transloads) motor oil from tank cars on the mainline in the fenced area). A few times the company unloaded (transloaded) the contents of the covered hoppers to trucks (or vice versa) and that was when they were spotted on the mainline south of Warren Avenue. I think it was grain.
Back in 2018, Detroit Connecting was unloading Covered Hoppers next to Vesco. Since then, the fence was constructed at the same location and Vesco is unloading tanks there.

Imageuhhuluh by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageDetroit Connecting RR by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Detroit Connecting RR by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:47 pm
1TrackMind wrote:

This list up to date?:
US Ecology - Tank Cars
Vesco gets tanks at both Ferry Yard and on the main on the west side of its building in the fenced area. This might be what you are calling "DCON Transload" They pump motor oil from the tank cars into storage tanks inside the building for distributing to local fleets and repair shops by truck.

US Ecology also gets covered gondolas with "dirty dirt" once in a while.

Boomer hasn't received a car for many years. They used to receive an occasional gondola of rebar.

The DCON track is out of service south of Vesco's fenced area to Mack Yard.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Manistique wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:58 pm
The DCON track is out of service south of Vesco's fenced area to Mack Yard.
There's a sizeable scrap yard at the end of the line that maybe the new owners can persuade to try rail again

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Well I posted because i was curious when i saw whoever posted in the wiki exel page put railmark as the owner on the transload and that confused me so I had to ask. i appreciate all for the clearing up the confusion I caused.
Exit stage left

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Manistique wrote:
JAIL for a while spotted tank cars on its long siding at Mason next to the box company siding and a company unloaded (or loaded, can't recall) them there....This tank car transloading business was picked up by some other local railroad who made a lower bid for it than JAIL.
They are still transloading tank cars next to Greif/Michigan Packaging. A report from Facebook this morning says "...there are no less than 10 tank cars in Mason."

Manistique wrote:
Lapeer Industrial for a few years had a small transloading operation on their mainline. They would spot an empty tank car and some company would truck in salt brine and load the tank car for shipping to New York City during the winter for deicing roads. I hear this business was lost to Huron & Eastern or some railroad in the Thumb, again outbid in the pricing.
Wilkinson Chemical built a new facility off of HESR in Millington. I believe the brine well/mine is in the Millington area.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:40 am
Manistique wrote:
JAIL for a while spotted tank cars on its long siding at Mason next to the box company siding and a company unloaded (or loaded, can't recall) them there....This tank car transloading business was picked up by some other local railroad who made a lower bid for it than JAIL.
They are still transloading tank cars next to Greif/Michigan Packaging. A report from Facebook this morning says "...there are no less than 10 tank cars in Mason."

Manistique wrote:
Wilkinson Chemical built a new facility off of HESR in Millington. I believe the brine well/mine is in the Millington area.
I believe they have picked up some additional transload customers out of Mason. These short lines keep them close to the vest tho as they are extremely competitive, easy to steal customers.