ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
aflkproductions
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Shortlines Train Locations Updates - March 2024

Unread post by aflkproductions »

Back in February I had the opportunity to document what is most likely the final run of the Charlotte Southern. Here is what I gathered, I hope you guys enjoy!

The Charlotte Southerns Final Run! (CHS #3 Last GE 44 Toner Built)
https://youtu.be/DeOZwKlkRLY

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: ADBF/JAIL Changes Made Under New Ownership

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting.

Was this move made under the new owner? I am not sure what to make of the conversation the CS employee had with you. It seems like something that would have happened under the old owner.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Great video!

From info I have gathered from a few sources:
CN did not want to handle the unit trains to and from the elevator. Supposedly, CN required the elevator to ship at least 500 cars a year, and they were barely handling shipping half that number. Also, The Andersons ethanol plant in nearby Albion sourced a lot of corn from the elevator (at the time anyway) leading to it being trucked out. This all happened around 2007. CHS began operations in 1999, so it only handled freight for roughly 8 years of its 25 year existence (not counting railcar storage).

Per the Wayback Machine it looks like the Charlotte dinner train started operating in 2001 or 2002. The RPO and Long Island coach were used for excursions during the Frontier Days in Charlotte early on.

Here's a pretty cool video of the CHS filmed in 1999 by Jon B. Rails Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZWOjfTCkH0

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

CHS 3 has been sold and will be staying in MI.
Last edited by BnOEngr on Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

It looks as though the Old Road Dinner Train is alive and well in Blissfield Michigan for the 2024 season.
9E4F8F50-52D5-4892-821D-E752C8B4A27D.jpeg

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm
Great video!

CN did not want to handle the unit trains to and from the elevator. Supposedly, CN required the elevator to ship at least 500 cars a year, and they were barely handling shipping half that number. Also, The Andersons ethanol plant in nearby Albion sourced a lot of corn from the elevator (at the time anyway) leading to it being trucked out. This all happened around 2007. CHS began operations in 1999, so it only handled freight for roughly 8 years of its 25 year existence (not counting railcar storage).

Per the Wayback Machine it looks like the Charlotte dinner train started operating in 2001 or 2002. The RPO and Long Island coach were used for excursions during the Frontier Days in Charlotte early on.

I heard similar information about the elevator. As to the "unit" trains, I think CN was happy to bring covered hoppers to and from the CHS but if less than 500 per year they would not be priced at unit train prices, which made it more expensive. I don't think CHS ever received more than 5 covered hoppers at a time for the elevator and, if I recall, the elevator could load five at a time though the siding there was very long. And I also heard that the ethanol plant in Albion sucked all the corn from there when that opened so, as said above, it was just trucked there directly, ending the rail service of CHS's only shipper.

The elevator in downtown Charlotte was closed most of the CHS time but it was open for a short spell in the 2000's. But if it received any covered hoppers, which I don't think it did during this brief spell, CN switched it on the siding off their mainline so it was never a CHS customer.

The dinner train ran every Saturday for a number of years then started cutting back to only once a month near the end.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

MDOT announced it's Michigan Rail Enhancement Program grants, yesterday, and included $3,895,208 (towards a $7,082,197 project) for ADBF for general upgrades including rail, tie, ballast replacement, track surfacing, and yard improvements. I'm curious about whether anyone knows of where this is going to be concentrated on the system.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

The business car stored in Mason is on its way to interchange with CN. It’s been sold to LSRC as part of the deal to acquire four GP40s from LSRC.

Will take R934 back to Snow Yard and then L500 to Flint

NoviRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NoviRailfan »

MiddleMI wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:13 am
MDOT announced it's Michigan Rail Enhancement Program grants, yesterday, and included $3,895,208 (towards a $7,082,197 project) for ADBF for general upgrades including rail, tie, ballast replacement, track surfacing, and yard improvements. I'm curious about whether anyone knows of where this is going to be concentrated on the system.
The grant announcement lists Ingham, Jackson and Lenawee counties so JAIL and A & B.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:59 am
The business car stored in Mason is on its way to interchange with CN. It’s been sold to LSRC as part of the deal to acquire four GP40s from LSRC.

Was it ever repaired following the vandalism it received?

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:01 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:

No. LSRC will repair it.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

it's currently sitting in Cory yard at the west end, along with some other cars. One of the windows had a plywood cover over it ....

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:01 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:

You can see what the condition the car is in by viewing this Steamlogger video.
Please remember to like share and subscribe.
https://youtu.be/eD99HmbSNwE?si=UW2_eApGigPwD1bV

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

GRHC wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:39 am
It looks as though the Old Road Dinner Train is alive and well in Blissfield Michigan for the 2024 season.
GRHC, this is awesome!!!! This train should stay! Today (March 16) is the first run of the 2024 season! Is anyone here going to see it? Now, is ADBF still planning on using GP9s to power the Dinner Train? :?: I sure hope so as GP9s are nice old engines! They are my favorite too! :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:
BnOEngr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:06 am
CHS 3 has been sold and will be staying in MI.
BnOEngr, are you permitted to mention where CHS 44-Tonner #3 is going? :?: Hope it will be on a nearby railroad! That is good too! Does anyone know if CHS 3 will operate in Charlotte again? How can we find out if/when? Man I would have loved to catch this! I have never seen CHS operating! Just photographed the equipment sitting at Charlotte with "Railfan Gary" on February 5, 2022! At least I captured the entire consist coupled together!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Robertrains wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:44 am
BnOEngr, are you permitted to mention where CHS 44-Tonner #3 is going?
No. Also, I am not authorized to make or answer PMs per His Royalness...
Last edited by BnOEngr on Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm
Great video!

Idk how that elevator could possibly handle unit trains. Also CN would not let CHS 3 access their tracks so there was no way to run around more than five cars.

LG Gibson has some old footage of them accepting storage cars from CN. Either in his YT history or his Flickr account, ng fan.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There is a passing siding on the other side of the elevator that looks like it can hold 20ish cars.

However, I’m told there’s no place to spot them at the interchange without separating them in several blocks.
LansingRailFan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:28 am
Idk how that elevator could possibly handle unit trains. Also CN would not let CHS 3 access their tracks so there was no way to run around more than five cars.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

While traveling through Blissfield this past Sunday I was surprised to see an NS coil steel car in the yard there. I didn't know ADBF had a customer that received/shipped that particular commodity. I didn't take pictures which means I don't know the car number.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

jimnorthwood wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm
While traveling through Blissfield this past Sunday I was surprised to see an NS coil steel car in the yard there. I didn't know ADBF had a customer that received/shipped that particular commodity. I didn't take pictures which means I don't know the car number.
I believe there is a railcar repair operation that takes up space in the yard at Blissfield.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Erroneous Monk wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:08 pm
jimnorthwood wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:49 pm
I believe there is a railcar repair operation that takes up space in the yard at Blissfield.
SA Rail
https://sarailservices.com/

The SA Rail offices currently occupy the old dinner train depot. Not sure what the new dinner train operators are using for an office/depot now...
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8307999 ... ?entry=ttu