The abandoned boxcars of L'Anse Bay

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

The abandoned boxcars of L'Anse Bay

Unread post by GTW Dude »

On a trip to Michigan's Upper peninsula (which by the way is a gold mine for classic railroad artifacts) i was traveling along Route 41 and while driving saw a virtually untouched Milwaukee Road 40 footer while I didn't stop it seemed it had little to no graffiti with original markings in better than usual conditions. later on while driving I happened to look to my left and saw what looked to be a P&LE boxcar in original paint as I did a double-take only to realize IT WAS A WHOLE YARD of 40 footers being used for storage with original paint. The first 3 on the outside were painted white while others near the back were painted in original colors I very vividly recall a Soo line boxcar with the big white lettering on the side. does anybody have any interest in them/have any photos? i have managed to find the coordinates on google earth. I believe the Milwaukee road boxcar is on it's original trucks but can anyone in the area confirm?

Link to the Yard of boxcars: https://earth.google.com/web/@46.824970 ... X01zdWcQAg

i saw the around 2 days ago and google earth in this area hasn't been updated for sometime wish i had gotten photos then definitely more boxcars than in the photo

Link to the Milwaukee road Boxcar: https://earth.google.com/web/@46.750926 ... TXhQN0EQAg

looks like it can be interchanged with CN if you rebuilt the tracks

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: The abandoned boxcars of L'Anse Bay

Unread post by NS3322 »

GTW Dude wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:59 pm
On a trip to Michigan's Upper peninsula (which by the way is a gold mine for classic railroad artifacts) i was traveling along Route 41 and while driving saw a virtually untouched Milwaukee Road 40 footer while I didn't stop it seemed it had little to no graffiti with original markings in better than usual conditions. later on while driving I happened to look to my left and saw what looked to be a P&LE boxcar in original paint as I did a double-take only to realize IT WAS A WHOLE YARD of 40 footers being used for storage with original paint. The first 3 on the outside were painted white while others near the back were painted in original colors I very vividly recall a Soo line boxcar with the big white lettering on the side. does anybody have any interest in them/have any photos? i have managed to find the coordinates on google earth. I believe the Milwaukee road boxcar is on it's original trucks but can anyone in the area confirm?

Link to the Yard of boxcars: https://earth.google.com/web/@46.824970 ... X01zdWcQAg

i saw the around 2 days ago and google earth in this area hasn't been updated for sometime wish i had gotten photos then definitely more boxcars than in the photo

Link to the Milwaukee road Boxcar: https://earth.google.com/web/@46.750926 ... TXhQN0EQAg

looks like it can be interchanged with CN if you rebuilt the tracks

There are also a few in the Hancock area:

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

DARN IT!!!! was in Hancock yesterday to photograph the Quincy and Torch Lake Locomotives and missed these.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

There used to be two Copper Range boxcars in Painesdale but that was over twenty years ago. I winder if they are still there.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

That Milwaukee Road car has been there many moons. I'm assuming it's still in use by the MOW forces. As for the cars at Van Straten Fabricating further north, they have been there man moons also. Cheap warehousing. Any Tech students that drove back and forth for breaks can testify they have been been there years.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:01 pm
That Milwaukee Road car has been there many moons. I'm assuming it's still in use by the MOW forces. As for the cars at Van Straten Fabricating further north, they have been there man moons also. Cheap warehousing. Any Tech students that drove back and forth for breaks can testify they have been been there years.
When I was up for Michigan tech Railcamp I was wondering the same thing and the people there confirmed they had been for over 10 years
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm going to be in the area later this month. I've tried to find these box cars on the satellite but without success. I would appreciate anyone's assistance to know exactly where they are case I'd love to see them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

AARR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:16 am
I'm going to be in the area later this month. I've tried to find these box cars on the satellite but without success. I would appreciate anyone's assistance to know exactly where they are case I'd love to see them.

I remember seeing the MILW one, if you’re driving up US41, the tracks become elevated at L’anse and about a mile or so south the car is sitting almost right next to the road behind a fence. It’s almost impossible to miss, obviously it’s very rusty.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

The Milwaukee Road car is on the s/w side of the road near the Celotex plant. Van Straten Bros. is north of Baraga, west side of the road. You shouldn't miss either if you don't concentrate on the lake :)