High level platforms

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

High level platforms

Unread post by DaveO »

Was Birmingham(new) station the only GTW station with high-level platforms?
How about other railroads in Michigan?
I know the Michigan Central Station in Detroit had them.
Fort Street Union Station didn't
Brush Street didn't.
MC Third Street? don't think so.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Re: High level platforms

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I can't think of any other locations.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The Detroit MC Depot had standard platforms.
John Bjorklund photo:
Screenshot_20210630-173437~2.png

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Steve B wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:30 pm
The Detroit MC Depot had standard platforms.
John Bjorklund photo:Screenshot_20210630-173437~2.png
I looked at a few longer distance photos and it looked high level to me :oops:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The Amtrak station in Grand Rapids has a high-level platform. It is on a stub so it isn’t a clearance issue for freight trains.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:51 pm
The Amtrak station in Grand Rapids has a high-level platform. It is on a stub so it isn’t a clearance issue for freight trains.
I use high level to mean platform height at car floor height. It looks like a step box needs to be used there?

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

When you refer to high level, is it Northeast Corridor style where they only have to open the door and walk on without opening the trap, or a station that does not require a stepbox but passengers still have to pull bags up the stairs? Michigan stations are all low level in that regard with the exception of the Ann Arbor movable platform.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Here's the high level platform on the east side at Birmingham:

https://flic.kr/p/2gZEGtW

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Yes, level walk-out(mind the gap) is what I intended.
Surprised that Grand Rapids didn't go full height there.
Full height platforms mean the track gangs can't mess with the alignment or bad things might happen.
I guess the mid-height platform might be more forgiving in that respect?

In Australia, there is a location with signs telling the track workers to not do a thing without contacting engineering first.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:22 pm
Here's the high level platform on the east side at Birmingham:

https://flic.kr/p/2gZEGtW
No orders to pick-up today

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

"Clear boards east and west." 'Twas that way before they made the Holly Sub north-south.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

I think all of the MBTA platforms out here are high level. There may be a handful that aren't. Just don't stick your foot in the gap getting on/off!

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Saturnalia wrote:
Superliner boarding is not possible at high level platforms. As stated above ARB has the only current high level platform, but it’s only good for 2 doors.

Dearborn has a platform that does not require a step box, and track 1 is removable for high wides. You just open the trap and the stairs are at platform level.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Ypsi has the answer. Grand Rapids gets Superliners and they're not compatible with a high platform.

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

I recall years ago reading or someone saying that Birmingham was the only high level platform outside of the east coast. Might be recounting that wrong but was something like that.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

GTWChris wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:09 pm
I recall years ago reading or someone saying that Birmingham was the only high level platform outside of the east coast. Might be recounting that wrong but was something like that.
Brightline uses high level. But before them???

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

GTWChris wrote:
Might be disqualified because of its interurban status, but I believe the South Shore was using those ancient wooden high level platforms between Randolph St. and Kensington near the Indiana border in the 30's and 40's.

Man o' War

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Man o' War wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:17 pm
GTWChris wrote:
Might be disqualified because of its interurban status, but I believe the South Shore was using those ancient wooden high level platforms between Randolph St. and Kensington near the Indiana border in the 30's and 40's.

Man o' War
The IC, and later Metra Electric, was high-level platforms for eons because those tracks were dedicated for passenger under the wire, a rarity for sure outside the NEC and affiliated routes.

Today the Metra Electric is 100% high-level boarding.

The South Shore has high level platforms at Hegewisch, Hammond, East Chicago, Dune Park and South Bend Airport. They have gauntlet track to move freights 1-2’ away from the platform to address clearance concerns, except at Dune Park, where freights are simply routed through the siding, and none at South Bend as freight is prohibited beyond Grandview. Additional high-level platforms are planned at all West Lake stations as well as with Double Track project at Miller and Michigan City 10th Street. That will leave Carroll and Gary as the only two low level regular stations, whereas flag stops Clark Rd, Beverly Shores and Hudson Lake have no plans for high-level boarding. Carroll will need to see a major track reconfiguration before high-levels are possible due to the freight needing to use that station track and no way around it or to add gauntlet right now.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:00 pm
That will leave Carroll and Gary as the only two low level regular stations,
Carroll will be closing when 11th St reopens downtown. So that leaves Gary as the only full service station without a high level platform when the double track project completes (and I wonder about the future of that station).

Gary had high level boarding back in the old days before the track was raised and realigned along the toll road. The new (current) platform is low level boarding and not long enough for an eight car train. There is not a lot of room at Gary to add a high level platform with gauntlets and I believe NICTD would rather close the station than remodel it (there was discussion a few years ago of building a new Gary station just east of I-65 but the community rejected the idea). The trains that currently turn or drop cars at Gary will perform that function in Miller when DTNWI completes (making it real easy to close down or minimize operations at Metro Center).

BTW: Note that I wrote "*A* high level platform". Dune Park will not have high level platforms on both tracks after double tracking. Freights will continue to use the north track passing a new low level platform (no gauntlets).

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:55 pm
Saturnalia wrote:
I use high level to mean platform height at car floor height. It looks like a step box needs to be used there?
I am surprised that they didn't put the platform high enough to avoid the use of the step box.