CN Newberry Subdivision Customers

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Newberry Subdivision Customers

Unread post by AARR »

It's disappointing how the pulpwood business dried up on the Newberry segment since CN took over. WC worked hard to get both inbound and outbound pulpwood and now there's none left that I know of. Maybe if WACTO can get a large volume customer or two it might work.
CAT345C wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:48 am
Maybe they can drum up some pulp wood business but then you are competing with log trucks that are already running around at 160k loaded, and dealing with CN rates at the same time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am
It's disappointing how the pulpwood business dried up on the Newberry segment since CN took over. WC worked hard to get both inbound and outbound pulpwood and now there's none left that I know of. Maybe if WACTO can get a large volume customer or two it might work.
CAT345C wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:48 am
Maybe they can drum up some pulp wood business but then you are competing with log trucks that are already running around at 160k loaded, and dealing with CN rates at the same time.
The pulp wood loading business is prone to frequent shifts, rail rates are just one factor.

Other factors may be more important. Prices for wood impact how far the wood can be hauled at a profit. The locations of active timber sales and what tree species are sold therein are of prime importance. The mills that buy logs may often change the mix of species they use based upon product “recipes”. The use of recycled paper also impacts demand for logs.

I recall circa 2000 LP In Newberry was buying 40% of their wood from Ontario producers which was shipped in by rail. Often the empty cars would be spotted near Newberry and loaded with logs headed to the St. Mary’s paper mill in Sault Ste. Marie ON. That of course changed when St Mary’s closed.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

I made a trip to lower Michigan last weekend. I attempted to locate a Grand Elk train to no avail.

I was checking out the Louisiana Pacific plant. A new rail car loading spur has been built on the south side of the plant. I estimate the spur can hold 6-8 lumber flats. From what was staged nearby, I believe finished product is loaded on flats.

I did see a lot of activity near the Newberry depot. which seems to the center of Grand Elk’s operation. Some MOW trucks are staged there. The is also a stock pile of track materials east of the depot. There is also a foundation or footing under construction. I do not know what is being built.

On Friday an ex NS GP 38-2 FURX 5551 was parked on the siding north of the CN line. On Sunday a different GP 38-2 was parked in Newberry. I did not get the number. The paint scheme reminded me of the old Rail America red scheme.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:11 pm
I made a trip to lower Michigan last weekend. I attempted to locate a Grand Elk train to no avail.

I was checking out the Louisiana Pacific plant. A new rail car loading spur has been built on the south side of the plant. I estimate the spur can hold 6-8 lumber flats. From what was staged nearby, I believe finished product is loaded on flats.

I did see a lot of activity near the Newberry depot. which seems to the center of Grand Elk’s operation. Some MOW trucks are staged there. The is also a stock pile of track materials east of the depot. There is also a foundation or footing under construction. I do not know what is being built.

On Friday an ex NS GP 38-2 FURX 5551 was parked on the siding north of the CN line. On Sunday a different GP 38-2 was parked in Newberry. I did not get the number. The paint scheme reminded me of the old Rail America red scheme.
FURX 5551 and HLCX 3885 are the power.

I managed to catch them at Soo Junction last May:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5776354

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Standard Railfan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:11 pm

I drove by the Newberry depot today. I was surprised to see a new enginehouse being built.
The shell of a single stall building is up. Work on the subgrade inside the building is ongoing. The subgrade for the track outside the building is nearly complete.
The building looks long enough to house two locomotives.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

where is this new building in relation to the station in Newberry??

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:53 am
where is this new building in relation to the station in Newberry??
Just east of the depot on Railroad Street. They also plan to replace the roof on the depot.
https://mynewberrynews.com/community/ra ... -building/

I believe Watco is building enginehouses at all of the FOXY main crew bases.