LSRC Gaylord Lumber Transload

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

LSRC Gaylord Lumber Transload

Unread post by AARR »

From the other board (the thread started as a video from atrain but segued into the lumber transload in Gaylord) https://members4.boardhost.com/OtherMic ... 57967.html
Re: LSRC Z127 and an FRA Train 6-10-21

Posted by Tom Train on 6/11/2021, 8:32 pm, in reply to "Re: LSRC Z127 and an FRA Train 6-10-21 "
The first center-beam is a Potlatch load and the second and third probably are also. Potlatch from Gwinn loads out of Gaylord, usually shipping three or four cars per week minimum.
Gwinn is near the old Sawyer AFB. Potlatch has a large operation there which includes loading center beams with lumber. Why would they truck to Gaylord and reload railcars there?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LSRC Gaylord Lumber Transload

Unread post by Tom Train »

I don't know. but it must have to do with either rates or delivery time. Last I knew the lumber was going to Virginia,if memory serves.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LSRC Gaylord Lumber Transload

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I believe Potlatch Gwinn gets about 30% of their logs from Northern lower Michigan. That may make lumber transfers to Gaylord as backhauls more cost effective.

If the lumber is destined for the eastern US. Shipping by rail from Gaylord may save a week versus shipping from Gwinn. The shipments may also give Potlatch some leverage in dealing with CN.