Abandoned factory in Ypsilanti

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Abandoned factory in Ypsilanti

Unread post by mach69 »

I was in Ypsilanti one day and driving east on Spring Street when I came across some derelict trackage and cantilevers with no lights or signals hanging above them. Turns out that there's a big factory located at Spring Street and Grove Road that used to be rail-served but I couldn't really find that much info on it. From what I could find it appears to be a Visteon plant, but when did it close? And what did they receive or ship out?

The southern portion of the spur into the plant remains easily picked out (along Grove Road just north of Spring Street) and some of the trackage is still in place. But I couldn't find where the northern part of the spur was.

Also, just today I noticed that there's a switch curving south along the siding in Ypsilanti near Forest Avenue and Market Place. Is this where that plant spur branched off of? If not, where did it split?

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Abandoned factory in Ypsilanti

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Abandoned factory in Ypsilanti

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

The last rail in the pavement at the former Spring Street grade crossings (in front of the old Ford plant) was removed over the past couple of weeks.

When I went through there this afternoon, they had the first layer of asphalt down where the westernmost spur had been.
-Fritz Milhaupt