Jobs at csx at Grand Rapids Mi

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
rob
Railroadfan...fan

Jobs at csx at Grand Rapids Mi

Unread post by rob »

If any one would like to see how it is to be a real conductor csx in gr is hiring

https://csx.taleo.net/careersection/2/j ... %2FDetroit

Rob

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jobs at csx at Grand Rapids Mi

Unread post by MikeB89 »

rob wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:48 pm
If any one would like to see how it is to be a real conductor csx in gr is hiring

Rob
Sadly four days later it would seem they're not hiring now. Kind of sucks.

Now down in Detroit they're hiring for a Conductor.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

G-Root Liska wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am

Or they filled the position in GR
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

most likely...someone from another crewbase bid on the opening and was awarded it. Not sure how CSX works in that regard.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Furloughed people have a choice to hit the nearest crew base or take unemployment. RR unemployment doesn't pay near what state does so if you want to continue on the gravy train you have to go to the nearest terminal you can hold. If you are furloughed at Lensing that would be GR. If you can't hold there then Detroit or Garrett, Indiana.
I don't know the furloughed outlook at Lansing or Garrett or Detroit anymore so your guess is as good as mine. CSX used to pay decent money to switch terminals. They paid a bonus but you had to get qualified and you had to stay marked up.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

G-Root Liska wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:43 am
rob wrote:

Rob

They have a tendency to have short windows when you can apply. If they are looking for say 10 people they may cut the applications off after the first 30 or so. I know I tried to apply back in the 80's when they did all their hiring from the MI Unemployment office. I got a call from on of the trainmaster to get down to the MESC ASAP to apply. I was there in an hour and found out they had already taken their total amount of applications for that hiring session in the first 20 minutes. Also applied once by going to one of their open sessions at a local hotel. Doors where to open at 8:00am and by 7:15am when I got there they already had 200+ applications and were closing the session. Keep an ear open. Their biggest issue for years is that they get way more applicants for the positions but once the people hear about the hours, being on call, no regular work hours\days 90-95% of the applicants drop out. Even after going through training maybe 3 out of 10 stay for more than a few weeks. Railroading is a tough job even today. Pay is good and the benefits are still way above most other sectors of the work force but the hours are brutal and for people with families and kids it's a hard lifestyle.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Doktor No wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:38 am
Furloughed people have a choice to hit the nearest crew base or take unemployment. RR unemployment doesn't pay near what state does so if you want to continue on the gravy train you have to go to the nearest terminal you can hold. If you are furloughed at Lensing that would be GR. If you can't hold there then Detroit or Garrett, Indiana.
I don't know the furloughed outlook at Lansing or Garrett or Detroit anymore so your guess is as good as mine. CSX used to pay decent money to switch terminals. They paid a bonus but you had to get qualified and you had to stay marked up.

They are paying 1400 a half right now from the RRB. It was a nice surprise this winter.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

I've been seeing a few posts for Amtrak in Michigan, these are the most recent. Also at times I've seen Signal Dept entry level positions for Niles & Jackson, Mi. If anyone is interested in a railroad career, but not finding any openings at CSX, this could be an alternative. On Board Service positions have been seen in the past, too.

careers.amtrak.com.

Electronic Technician - 90286892 - Jackson - Jackson, MI, US, 49201

Electrical Technician-Radio - 90160221 - Jackson - Jackson, MI, US, 49203

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by rob »

The posting cloesd friday the 26

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

$1400 hundred a half?! THAT IS AN IMPROVEMENT!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

ConductorBigShoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConductorBigShoe »

rob wrote:

Rob
Not sure if CSX is like this but After working for another Class 1 Personally I found it terrible and almost ruining Railroads for me. The constant need to look over your shoulder since a Train master could be hiding in the bushes just waiting and foaming at the mouth (Heard they were paid bonuses per person written up or fired) to write you up and/or fire you for the most minute reasons. Seen many a hardworking person get fired over the stupidest of things. I personally would recommend getting a start with a switching company to get some experience, then try to land a job at a Short line or Regional. I jumped shipped to a Regional and it was a totally different world.