LSRC Buick City Update

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
User avatar
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic
Posts: 4356
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:40 pm
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by Racer »

Tonight another X127 has left Wixom and is headed to Flint with more than half of the train being racks. This is the 3rd train that’s been reported this week running overnight as an extra train just to accommodate racks for Buick City. Curious if this will eventually develop into scheduled unit trains both on LSRC and CSX with this consistency.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

User avatar
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 3906
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Chicago, IL/Ann Arbor MI
Contact:

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by ns8401 »

Racer wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:04 am
Tonight another X127 has left Wixom and is headed to Flint with more than half of the train being racks. This is the 3rd train that’s been reported this week running overnight as an extra train just to accommodate racks for Buick City. Curious if this will eventually develop into scheduled unit trains both on LSRC and CSX with this consistency.
Not unless there are well over 100 of them. CSX doesn’t seem to care how long that train gets. Largest one I’ve seen was 237 cars last August. The 232nd car had a dragging brake and I called it in. It was starting to burn. Felt bad for whoever had to walk it.

If anything probably D935 and D936 trains as extras.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

User avatar
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by DaveO »

It seems the vehicles being loaded/unloaded at Flint were previously handled at New Boston.
Since that is on CSX I don't see it resulting in additional CSX trains. Just a different starting point and more traffic through Plymouth.
As usual, time will tell.

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:55 pm
Location: Somewhere along the CN Flint Sub

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Northbound Z127 this morning had 72 autoracks on it. We might see unit rack trains in the future if this keeps up.

User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
Posts: 33714
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by AARR »

From the handful of videos I've watched there seems to be 15ish vehicle racks on each southbound train. Supposedly these are vehicles previously loaded in New Boston (because CN doesn't want the business because it's a short haul from Flint to Toledo where they would interchange with CSX).

Has anyone noticed any changes in shipping numbers at the CN Flint Ramps?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

User avatar
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm
From the handful of videos I've watched there seems to be 15ish vehicle racks on each southbound train. Supposedly these are vehicles previously loaded in New Boston (because CN doesn't want the business because it's a short haul from Flint to Toledo where they would interchange with CSX).

Has anyone noticed any changes in shipping numbers at the CN Flint Ramps?
It’s hard to tell right now due to the intermittent production schedules due to the micro chip shortage (and looming rubber shortage, btw).

When they were first getting going they had blocks anywhere from 15-50 auto racks on Z127.

The racks were pulled from all over and weren’t from any sort of pool.

Loaded Racks have been going almost exclusively to Selkirk, NY and scattered from there.

They have been unloading some racks of cars from Spring Hill, Mexico and Texas as well up in Buick City.

User avatar
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Less than 100' from CSX Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by conrailmike »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am
AARR wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm
From the handful of videos I've watched there seems to be 15ish vehicle racks on each southbound train. Supposedly these are vehicles previously loaded in New Boston (because CN doesn't want the business because it's a short haul from Flint to Toledo where they would interchange with CSX).

Has anyone noticed any changes in shipping numbers at the CN Flint Ramps?
It’s hard to tell right now due to the intermittent production schedules due to the micro chip shortage (and looming rubber shortage, btw).

When they were first getting going they had blocks anywhere from 15-50 auto racks on Z127.

The racks were pulled from all over and weren’t from any sort of pool.

Loaded Racks have been going almost exclusively to Selkirk, NY and scattered from there.

They have been unloading some racks of cars from Spring Hill, Mexico and Texas as well up in Buick City.

As far as Flint is concerned, there are NO intermittent production schedules due to the microchip issue. Flint Assembly will literally be THE last plant to go down due to the shortage. Anything to do with microchips has all been funneled towards Flint as we are the bread and butter of GM at the moment. We haven't heard anything about a rubber shortage...yet. There were some other part issues about two weeks ago but that was solved and as of now we are full speed ahead. As it stands now, there are two shifts of production working this Sunday with voluntary Sundays from now until at least June. We literally can't build them fast enough.

User avatar
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

conrailmike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am
AARR wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm
From the handful of videos I've watched there seems to be 15ish vehicle racks on each southbound train. Supposedly these are vehicles previously loaded in New Boston (because CN doesn't want the business because it's a short haul from Flint to Toledo where they would interchange with CSX).

Has anyone noticed any changes in shipping numbers at the CN Flint Ramps?
It’s hard to tell right now due to the intermittent production schedules due to the micro chip shortage (and looming rubber shortage, btw).

When they were first getting going they had blocks anywhere from 15-50 auto racks on Z127.

The racks were pulled from all over and weren’t from any sort of pool.

Loaded Racks have been going almost exclusively to Selkirk, NY and scattered from there.

They have been unloading some racks of cars from Spring Hill, Mexico and Texas as well up in Buick City.

As far as Flint is concerned, there are NO intermittent production schedules due to the microchip issue. Flint Assembly will literally be THE last plant to go down due to the shortage. Anything to do with microchips has all been funneled towards Flint as we are the bread and butter of GM at the moment. We haven't heard anything about a rubber shortage...yet. There were some other part issues about two weeks ago but that was solved and as of now we are full speed ahead. As it stands now, there are two shifts of production working this Sunday with voluntary Sundays from now until at least June. We literally can't build them fast enough.
Glad you're still up and running! Americans need their pickups badly! On the radio here, the dealers are all advertising cars and trucks by reservation only. My Traverse is getting up there in miles and I don't see much to choose from from any automaker out there right now.

User avatar
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 3906
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Chicago, IL/Ann Arbor MI
Contact:

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by ns8401 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 am
conrailmike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am


It’s hard to tell right now due to the intermittent production schedules due to the micro chip shortage (and looming rubber shortage, btw).

When they were first getting going they had blocks anywhere from 15-50 auto racks on Z127.

The racks were pulled from all over and weren’t from any sort of pool.

Loaded Racks have been going almost exclusively to Selkirk, NY and scattered from there.

They have been unloading some racks of cars from Spring Hill, Mexico and Texas as well up in Buick City.

As far as Flint is concerned, there are NO intermittent production schedules due to the microchip issue. Flint Assembly will literally be THE last plant to go down due to the shortage. Anything to do with microchips has all been funneled towards Flint as we are the bread and butter of GM at the moment. We haven't heard anything about a rubber shortage...yet. There were some other part issues about two weeks ago but that was solved and as of now we are full speed ahead. As it stands now, there are two shifts of production working this Sunday with voluntary Sundays from now until at least June. We literally can't build them fast enough.
Glad you're still up and running! Americans need their pickups badly! On the radio here, the dealers are all advertising cars and trucks by reservation only. My Traverse is getting up there in miles and I don't see much to choose from from any automaker out there right now.
Save the money and get a used one that like a year or two old. Plenty of them to choose from and you don’t lose a third of the value by turning right out of the parking lot and going a foot.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 960
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:49 pm
Location: Rockford, Michigan

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by Doktor No »

I will be keeping my leased F150 in September. The used price is well over what I owe on it. Gee, I could purchase the vehicle and turn around and sell it for more then what I owe by $5K or so. But I won't.
It's A New Dawn!

User avatar
LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm
Location: Lansing

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Doktor No wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:21 pm
I will be keeping my leased F150 in September. The used price is well over what I owe on it. Gee, I could purchase the vehicle and turn around and sell it for more then what I owe by $5K or so. But I won't.
Not to totally detail the thread but the amount of quality 1-2 quality old used cars out there is thin. Lotta people doing exactly what Doktor No did, especially since people cut their driving down in the last year due to Covid.
Last edited by LansingRailFan on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ns8401
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 3906
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:57 pm
Location: Chicago, IL/Ann Arbor MI
Contact:

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by ns8401 »

LansingRailFan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 am
Doktor No wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:21 pm
I will be keeping my leased F150 in September. The used price is well over what I owe on it. Gee, I could purchase the vehicle and turn around and sell it for more then what I owe by $5K or so. But I won't.
Not to totally detail the thread but the Alina of quality 1-2 quality old used cars out there is thin. Lotta people doing exactly what Doktor No did, especially since people cut their driving down in the last year due to Covid.
That would present a problem. Hopefully the supply doesn’t begin to resemble the housing market.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Chip
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:25 pm
Location: Brownstown, Michigan

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by Chip »

conrailmike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am
AARR wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm
From the handful of videos I've watched there seems to be 15ish vehicle racks on each southbound train. Supposedly these are vehicles previously loaded in New Boston (because CN doesn't want the business because it's a short haul from Flint to Toledo where they would interchange with CSX).

Has anyone noticed any changes in shipping numbers at the CN Flint Ramps?
It’s hard to tell right now due to the intermittent production schedules due to the micro chip shortage (and looming rubber shortage, btw).

When they were first getting going they had blocks anywhere from 15-50 auto racks on Z127.

The racks were pulled from all over and weren’t from any sort of pool.

Loaded Racks have been going almost exclusively to Selkirk, NY and scattered from there.

They have been unloading some racks of cars from Spring Hill, Mexico and Texas as well up in Buick City.

As far as Flint is concerned, there are NO intermittent production schedules due to the microchip issue. Flint Assembly will literally be THE last plant to go down due to the shortage. Anything to do with microchips has all been funneled towards Flint as we are the bread and butter of GM at the moment. We haven't heard anything about a rubber shortage...yet. There were some other part issues about two weeks ago but that was solved and as of now we are full speed ahead. As it stands now, there are two shifts of production working this Sunday with voluntary Sundays from now until at least June. We literally can't build them fast enough.

We said the same thing on the Ford side at MAP being in the thick of the Bronco launch and everything and they just started cancelling Saturday production for us this morning. Sounds like someone at GM is better at production planning than whoever is in charge at Ford, not that I'm surprised.

User avatar
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Less than 100' from CSX Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by conrailmike »

For those keeping track, you may start to see less autoracks out of Flint (on the CN side as well). It was just announced that starting today some trucks are being built without certain modules due to the chip issue. Which means they'll probably end up in a parking lot over at Bishop waiting for parts.

User avatar
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 761
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by DaveO »

I think Buick City is more probable. Lots of concrete still there which seems usable after a little bit of vegetation removal.
The company Ford is using has agreement with Southfield to store Dearborn built F150s at Northland. Don't know if they have started parking there.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan
Posts: 834
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: LSRC Buick City Update

Unread post by chapmaja »

ns8401 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:43 pm
LansingRailFan wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 am
conrailmike wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am



As far as Flint is concerned, there are NO intermittent production schedules due to the microchip issue. Flint Assembly will literally be THE last plant to go down due to the shortage. Anything to do with microchips has all been funneled towards Flint as we are the bread and butter of GM at the moment. We haven't heard anything about a rubber shortage...yet. There were some other part issues about two weeks ago but that was solved and as of now we are full speed ahead. As it stands now, there are two shifts of production working this Sunday with voluntary Sundays from now until at least June. We literally can't build them fast enough.
Glad you're still up and running! Americans need their pickups badly! On the radio here, the dealers are all advertising cars and trucks by reservation only. My Traverse is getting up there in miles and I don't see much to choose from from any automaker out there right now.
Save the money and get a used one that like a year or two old. Plenty of them to choose from and you don’t lose a third of the value by turning right out of the parking lot and going a foot.
I have never purchased a new car. The cars I have purchased have all been Ford Focus'. The first, a 2003 (purchased in 2007 with 11,000 miles on it), lasted until 2017.

I then purchased a 2017 that I wrecked in 2018 and replaced with with a 2016 which was wrecked in April. (The biggest problem with Focus' is they don't handle front in damage well.

I just purchased a used 2016 with 25000 miles on it last week. All well under what I would have paid for a new car. Also helped I could pay it off faster than the payments would say I should.

Post Reply