Carleton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Carleton

Unread post by AARR »

Thank you Fred
Fred wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:51 am
Lumber When I worked at River Rouge back in 2010 they would get the occasional load of lumber along with the normal cars of sand. I believe the lumber was used when the glass was being shipped out in the truck
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

Does anyone know at all what runs on the Flat Rock sub in Carleton? I have not seen any freights on that line and I honestly wonder what kind of freight is brought in on it. Also how often does it get used?

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:39 am
Does anyone know at all what runs on the Flat Rock sub in Carleton? I have not seen any freights on that line and I honestly wonder what kind of freight is brought in on it. Also how often does it get used?
CN doesn’t use the line at all south of Flat Rock. IORY runs a train to/from FR a few times a week. From what I can tell there really hasn’t been a set schedule for it lately.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The only train I am aware of is IORY’s Delta OH to Flat Rock Turn three times per week. It handles interchange traffic with CN, AA (infrequently) and ADBF (frequently). Their average train is 20-30 cars guestimate.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am
The only train I am aware of is IORY’s Delta OH to Flat Rock Turn three times per week. It handles interchange traffic with CN, AA (infrequently) and ADBF (frequently). Their average train is 20-30 cars guestimate.
I haven’t seen them leave flat rock with more than 25 cars in a very long time, if ever.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Chip wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:38 pm
AARR wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am
I haven’t seen them leave flat rock with more than 25 cars in a very long time, if ever.
Far cry from what they used to run. They used to run 10,000 ft plus trains south of Flat Rock down to Cincy for interchange. That dried up when CN started routing the traffic elsewhere and that was when they started running the Delta-Flat Rock turn. There is little traffic between Delta and FR other than interchange traffic.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Thankfully the growing steel plants at Delta are providing the I&o with lots of scrap that come from all directions including Detroit as well as boxcars, loaded lumber beams, and tanks etc. Traffic at Riga is starting to pickup as the agri trafffic from riga is mostly interchanged with csx in lima. not sure about the interchange at diann. As much as it pains me to admit this not sure if well ever see the Detroit-Cincinnati via springfield 12-15 train a day gig like before...these days point to point shuttles are the norm and 1 each way and maybe locals and grain shuttles with 12-50 cars are the norm but is more profitable in this day and age. Nova steel just came online in delta but not sure if any outbound traffic is even materializing.
Exit stage left

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

From the Nova Steel website, is this pic of a rail spur going inside the buidling. It might not mean anything because theres a good chance that rail service is nil as of this moment for the I&o

https://novasteel.ca/office-locations/n ... ipe-delta/
Exit stage left

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I’ve seen full scrap gons inbound to flat rock. Nothing outbound that would indicate it is for any steel mill or related industry. It’s typically box cars, center beams, scrap gons and the odd tanker or two.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Does anyone remember the year the I&O stopped running the train to Cincinnati and return to FR i also remember the Susquehanna SD70Ms they used i think starting in 2001 until i think 2008 that might be the year that train was discontinued i remember being at Hamler Oh and the conductor on the southbound I&O train told the CSX dispatcher he was 10.000ft long he didn't have the signal to cross the B&O and when he got the signal those Susy Q SD70s where just screaming in run 8 crawling by me i think he had over 100 loaded autoracks this was in June of 2004.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

penn central wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:06 am
Does anyone remember the year the I&O stopped running the train to Cincinnati and return to FR.
GM traffic stopped around 2006 and Ford traffic around 2011.