Carleton

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Carleton

Unread post by David Collins »

Hi All,

Is Carleton any good now, and what days does the I&O run?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Carleton

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard IORY operates from Delta to Flat Rock three days per week (T, Th, Sat). They usually arrive in Flat Rock late morning and depart early afternoon. Hopefully if I'm mistaken on something someone will post the correct information.
David Collins wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 pm
Hi All,

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I haven't seen much running out of the south end of Flat Rock in a few months. At one point in the last few weeks the rails had a decent amount of surface rust on them.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Rusty rails --- oh, my! Flashback for me to the 1970's when rails were very shiny. I'm kind of out of the loop, but I presume the tower is still standing? If so, it's about the only building I worked in that remains so.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

As far as I know, CN does not run anything south of Flat Rock anymore. The only regular train to ply those rails now is I&O's thrice-weekly turn out of Lima.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

SD80MAC wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:10 am
As far as I know, CN does not run anything south of Flat Rock anymore. The only regular train to ply those rails now is I&O's thrice-weekly turn out of Lima.
Sure a far cry from the late 1990s; back then, whenever I'd go to Carleton, I was usually guaranteed at least one CN movement, no matter what time of day or night I'd go.

Seems like they just upgraded the signals along that line not too long ago, as well.

Come to think of it, my job has taken me to Carleton a few times in the past month, and I don't recall hearing anything at all along there.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Eric Berger »

Speaking of rusty rails...past few times I've crossed the Lincoln Secondary south of Brownstown, I've noted quite a bit of surface rust on those rails also. And, I can count on one hand the number of trains to/from Carleton that I've seen along that line in the past year or so.
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Eric Berger wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:09 pm
Speaking of rusty rails...past few times I've crossed the Lincoln Secondary south of Brownstown, I've noted quite a bit of surface rust on those rails also. And, I can count on one hand the number of trains to/from Carleton that I've seen along that line in the past year or so.
There's been far less train traffic around here for the last year or so. Even NS has gone from 6-8 trains a day to maybe 3 on a good day. Covid killed rail traffic and its yet to recover.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does the Guardian glass plant still get rail service?
Chip wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm
Eric Berger wrote:
There's been far less train traffic around here for the last year or so. Even NS has gone from 6-8 trains a day to maybe 3 on a good day. Covid killed rail traffic and its yet to recover.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

AARR wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:49 pm
Does the Guardian glass plant still get rail service?
Chip wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm
Eric Berger wrote:
I'm not sure, I haven't been down that way in a while.

Of course since I made my last post I've heard the horns of 5 NS trains so there goes that.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

It doesn’t help for the Lincoln Secondary that CSX runs 90% of their trains via Plymouth since Q150/151 doesn’t use the secondary anymore because they work Oak Yard. Q132 also hauls a block for Rougemere that is dropped off along the way to Livernois that eliminates the need to use the secondary. To my knowledge Q131 is supposedly the only regular train to use the secondary, yet I keep seeing it through Plymouth often.

In regards to the line itself, Conrail still has a few locals that work the line all the way down to Guardian Glass.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

C&OGP75745
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&OGP75745 »

Racer wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:26 am
It doesn’t help for the Lincoln Secondary that CSX runs 90% of their trains via Plymouth since Q150/151 doesn’t use the secondary anymore because they work Oak Yard. Q132 also hauls a block for Rougemere that is dropped off along the way to Livernois that eliminates the need to use the secondary. To my knowledge Q131 is supposedly the only regular train to use the secondary, yet I keep seeing it through Plymouth often.

In regards to the line itself, Conrail still has a few locals that work the line all the way down to Guardian Glass.
Q15026 just went north thru there yesterday

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Let me rephrase, I go by guardian glass every day on my way too/from work but never at the time of day they typically get serviced via rail, not since I moved to day shift. This time last year I would see a NS Geep sitting at the gate on my way to work (about 5pm) typically about once a month. I've only been stopped by a train there once in the last year, and it was a crazy short CSX intermodal.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:38 pm
Last I heard IORY operates from Delta to Flat Rock three days per week (T, Th, Sat). They usually arrive in Flat Rock late morning and depart early afternoon. Hopefully if I'm mistaken on something someone will post the correct information.
David Collins wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:59 pm
Hi All,

AARR, does IORY usually operate to Flat Rock every Saturday? What time in the afternoon does it typically depart Flat Rock going south? I hope to see it on Saturday May 29! I will also get the "Ohio Rail Experience" special the next day! :wink:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Robertrains wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 pm
AARR wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:38 pm
AARR, does IORY usually operate to Flat Rock every Saturday? What time in the afternoon does it typically depart Flat Rock going south? I hope to see it on Saturday May 29! I will also get the "Ohio Rail Experience" special the next day! :wink:
Robert, AFAIK they still operate on Saturday but I'm relaying what I've been told and haven't observed them personally.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I've never seen them on a Saturday but I have seen them on Wednesday afternoon

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

Chip wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:43 pm
I've never seen them on a Saturday but I have seen them on Wednesday afternoon
I have seen them on Saturdays before! Supposedly IORY brought in "Jet Fuel" for Metro Airport!!!! They used to come in Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (sometimes Saturday)! I would just like to know if they now are regularly scheduled to go to Flat Rock on Saturdays! Can we verify? :?:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

I doubt they run to Flat Rock every Saturday, it's probably on an as-needed basis.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Speaking of Guardian Industries, I noticed a centerbeam at their concrete dock in a satellite image. Anyone know what Guardian would receive on a centerbeam?

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

Lumber When I worked at River Rouge back in 2010 they would get the occasional load of lumber along with the normal cars of sand. I believe the lumber was used when the glass was being shipped out in the truck