Disused spur in Utica

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Disused spur in Utica

Unread post by mach69 »

Just went to Yates Cider Mill recently and when I was looking at it in Google Maps and OpenStreetMap, I noticed that there used to be a railway line going past the mill, and the Yates Trail seems to follow part of that abandoned track. The mill states that it was removed in 1979. Can anyone confirm this or provide additional details?

I also found a long stretch of abandoned rails north of M-59 in Utica, which curves west near the end. There also seems to be a former spur branching off of this line near 22 Mile Rd and Shelby Rd, which curved east and immediately headed north. Anyone know what happened to the portion of the line north of M-59, or who the customer in question (they were just east of Mound Rd and south of 23 Mile Rd) were or what they did?
Last edited by mach69 on Wed May 26, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Abandoned spur in Utica

Unread post by AARR »

The first spur went to a produce distributer off of 23 Mile Rd. Received refrigerated box cars occasionally.

The 2nd spur went to the Ford sewing plant (and later added a plastics parts line). This factory was switched twice a day into the early 2000's pulling an average of 9-12 86' hi-cube box cars per switch. They also received some coal and later inbound plastic pellets.
mach69 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:09 pm
Just went to Yates Cider Mill recently and when I was looking at it in Google Maps and OpenStreetMap, I noticed that there used to be a railway line going past the mill, and the Yates Trail seems to follow part of that abandoned track. The mill states that it was removed in 1979. Can anyone confirm this or provide additional details?

I also found a long stretch of abandoned rails north of M-59 in Utica, which cures west near the end. There also seems to be a former spur branching off of this line near 22 Mile Rd and Shelby Rd, which curved east and immediately headed north. Anyone know what happened to the portion of the line north of M-59, or who the customer in question (they were just east of Mound Rd and south of 23 Mile Rd) were or what they did?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

Also, do you know if KUKA Systems (near 12 Mile and Mound) down below are still rail served? It's showing some spurs off of OpenStreetMap but it looks all torn up on Google Maps.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That spur goes to the Detroit News/Free Press newspaper plant. Back when newspapers were popular that plant would use about three box cars (usually CP) a day. Now they receive about 4-5 a week (still CP but 60' hi-cubes).
mach69 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 pm
Also, do you know if KUKA Systems (near 12 Mile and Mound) down below are still rail served? It's showing some spurs off of OpenStreetMap but it looks all torn up on Google Maps.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

mach69 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:53 pm
If you look at google streetview, the spurs all end before the building as is shown in the aerial view. Streetview photos are dated July 2019.

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

AARR wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:40 pm
The first spur went to a produce distributer off of 23 Mile Rd. Received refrigerated box cars occasionally.
I managed to pull up some historic Google Earth imagery today; it appears that those guys closed somewhere around 2010-2013.

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

http://wikimapia.org/6516708/former-Ford-Utica-Plant

Lo and behold, Ford operated a trim plant where the Amazon warehouse is today. Closed in 2009, demolished 2012, spur ripped out shortly after.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

More significantly the former Packard Proving Grounds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_Proving_Grounds

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I lived in Utica next to the track in the 90's. The Ford Trim plant would get switched 2x per day with each switch pulling 9-12 (usually 11) cars. They also received coal.

Later, when the trim business died down they operated a plastics line inside the plant and would get plastic pellets and still shipped out box cars but much less, maybe 3-4 a day.
mach69 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:03 pm
http://wikimapia.org/6516708/former-Ford-Utica-Plant

Lo and behold, Ford operated a trim plant where the Amazon warehouse is today. Closed in 2009, demolished 2012, spur ripped out shortly after.

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Rumor has it the bridge just north of M-59 that is no longer structurally sound and needs to be rebuilt.

This would be a great line for a small tourist operation and/or short line. I bet they could drum up some transload business in the industrial area between 22 and 23 mile. Although some brush cutting is required, I think the tracks are still in good shape as Conrail ensured good trackage to service Ford

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

bnsfben wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:42 pm
Rumor has it the bridge just north of M-59 that is no longer structurally sound and needs to be rebuilt.

This would be a great line for a small tourist operation and/or short line. I bet they could drum up some transload business in the industrial area between 22 and 23 mile. Although some brush cutting is required, I think the tracks are still in good shape as Conrail ensured good trackage to service Ford
Maybe Yates Cider Mill could do something if the Utica branch was still intact to Rochester Junction.

GTW Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTW Dude »

bnsfben wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 1:42 pm

i would believe it seen the tracks myself and they are in pretty darn good condition for how long they have been abandoned. also have to remember a lot of people know the tracks are abandoned and they sit right next to a walkway where a considerable amount of young guys hang out and have made giant walkways up to the tracks. Seeing tie plates off to the sides of the tracks is not unusual and the ballast is a little bit washed out at one spot where one of the walkways is. the bridge is where all tracks connecting to the sterling secondary are ripped looking at google maps and i'd assume that has to do with some sort of liability should the bridge collapse. Other than that they look better than the Penn Central era so thats always a compliment ;)

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

The track is not abandoned. Notice must be give to the Surface Transportation Board for that
It may require STB approval if certain conditions aren't met.
All in service track must be inspected to Federal Rail Administration rules.
By removing a rail, the track is considered out-of-service and no longer must be inspected to FRA rules.
There are certain exceptions to that, large bridges even if OOS, must receive inspections.

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Disused spur in Utica

Unread post by Man o' War »

According to Conrail, the track, at the moment, is categorized as "railbanked" - M59 to the former Packard yard and subject to being reinstated as active should the need arise. Technically, you can still be cited for trespassing, although the Conrail (NS) cops probably don't patrol it very often! My guess is that it will eventually end up as abandoned, but for now, it simply rests in solitude.

Man o' War

mach69
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mach69 »

AARR wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 am
They also received coal.
I wonder what they were using coal for.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They generated their own electricity
mach69 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:26 am
AARR wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:12 am
They also received coal.
I wonder what they were using coal for.