Kincheloe industrial spur/CN ops

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Kincheloe industrial spur/CN ops

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I recently learned that a new spur track is planned to be built leading to a new warehouse or possibly transload facility off the Kincheloe industrial spur NW of the old air force base. I know the spur was built to service the facility when it was a military base and that it remains to serve industrial customers within the Chippewa Industrial Park. I'm curious to know what customers are currently active on this spur track? What CN job switches them?

Unrelated to this project, but I may be in that area in a few weeks. What are the current CN operations between the Soo and Trout Lake, and in each direction from the Trout Lake depot? Does anything run on the weekends? Thanks!

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Kincheloe industrial spur/CN ops

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I believe that there are two current customers at Kinchloe. A & L Iron and Metal has a spur and ships out scrap from time to time. There is also a propane terminal that I believe is owned by Plains Gas.

Logs are loaded on occasion.

The former coal power plant was served by rail but that was decommissioned several years ago.

At one time pipe was transferred from rail to truck but I believe that ended when oil prices dropped and drilling in lower Michigan was curtailed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The Newberry Sub is switched Day 1 Newberry-Trout Lake Turn. Day 2 Newberry to Munising. Day 3 Munising to Newberry. Repeat.

A local from Gladstone switches Kincheloe as needed.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Thanks for this info, StandardRailfan & AARR! Aerial imagery suggests the propane terminal at the end of the line is a busy place. Were the logs you mentioned loading done on the spur someplace or on the siding/run around track just west of where the spur joins the main near the S. Kinross Rd. crossing?

In addition to the Newberry/Trout Lake operations info, here is what I recall, perhaps someone can let me know if I'm right:

The CN local based in Gladstone makes a turn to the yard at Sault Ste. Marie Michigan daily. It's a daylight run, I believe.
The CN Road train is a turn that runs to Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, crossing the International RR Bridge. It runs east in daylight, arriving at the Soo in the evening, and westbound at night. They use distributed power because of weight restrictions on the elderly bridges over the St. Marys River.

Amiright? Do I win $200 and get to pass "GO?"

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

The Chippewa County Economic Development Corp recently posted the RFP for the construction of the new manufacturing/industrial building and construction of the rail spur off the Kincheloe Base/Air Park Industrial spur track. I'm not sure if they have specific tenants in mind or if this is meant to offer a new facility to prospective industrial operations. Hopefully it yields something positive for the CN local.

https://www.chippewacountyedc.com/chipp ... -services/