CN Wyandotte

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

CN Wyandotte

Unread post by b17bass »

I don't make it down there much anymore but I recently watched a loaded coal train run North through Wyandotte on the most easterly track. I think this train runs from Lang yard to the DTE plant on River Rouge. I thought these trains were discontinued?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CN Wyandotte

Unread post by AARR »

I heard CN still gets a few trains of coal
b17bass wrote:I don't make it down there much anymore but I recently watched a loaded coal train run North through Wyandotte on the most easterly track. I think this train runs from Lang yard to the DTE plant on River Rouge. I thought these trains were discontinued?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Ive heard its only been eastern coal off CSX to DTE River Rouge.

The vast majority of coal for DTE is moving on the lakes from Superior, Wisconsin.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Many coal fired power plants use a mixture of low sulfur western coal and higher sulfur eastern coal.

I was part of a discussion about this topic with air permitting consultants and staff from We energies. Apparently the control equipment installed to remove sulfur and other undesirable emissions need a certain concentration of sulfur compounds in the gas stream to function properly.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last time I checked DTE was burning 52% western and 48% eastern coal and Consumers 75%/25%. Things may have changed.
Standard Railfan wrote:Many coal fired power plants use a mixture of low sulfur western coal and higher sulfur eastern coal.

I was part of a discussion about this topic with air permitting consultants and staff from We energies. Apparently the control equipment installed to remove sulfur and other undesirable emissions need a certain concentration of sulfur compounds in the gas stream to function properly.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

DTE Electric River Rouge Power Plant only has one unit that burns coal and it has been down in economic reserve since February. The "thermal" coal comes to plat via NS & Conrail. The coal trains on the DT&I-GTW-CN are "meturagical" coal. The plant grinds coal for blast furnace injection for both USS Great Lakes Works and AK Steel Dearborn Works.

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

I've seen that coal train a couple times when I've gone to Wyandotte for a day of railfanning. Seems to run in the early afternoon daily. Does anyone know the symbol for it?

GTWChris
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWChris »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:32 pm
I've seen that coal train a couple times when I've gone to Wyandotte for a day of railfanning. Seems to run in the early afternoon daily. Does anyone know the symbol for it?
It's L575, a coke train from EES Coke on Zug Island to AK Steel in Dearborn. Takes empties from Dearborn to Ecorse and returns to Dearborn with loads.

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

KenB wrote:
"The plant grinds coal for blast furnace injection for both USS Great Lakes Works and AK Steel Dearborn Works."

Except that USS GLW doesn't use its blast furnaces or make steel anymore...

JG

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

jggilmore7 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:38 am
KenB wrote:
"The plant grinds coal for blast furnace injection for both USS Great Lakes Works and AK Steel Dearborn Works."

Except that USS GLW doesn't use its blast furnaces or make steel anymore...

JG
But his post was from 2019 and yours is from 2022?

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

DaveO:

"But his post was from 2019 and yours is from 2022?"

Yeah, saw that but my post was just in case anyone might still think any current moves are for USS. Maybe some folks might not have been paying attention...

JG