Wye on GTW/CN?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Wye on GTW/CN?

Unread post by twropr »

On Sat. the 16th Amtrak #351 had a bad coupler in the first car, which required the train to be turned on a wye so that the locomotive could couple onto what had been the last car leaving Pontiac. This happened on the CN just before the train got to Detroit. Where on the CN would the wye have been where this move could have been made?
Andy

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Wye on GTW/CN?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

twropr wrote:On Sat. the 16th Amtrak #351 had a bad coupler in the first car, which required the train to be turned on a wye so that the locomotive could couple onto what had been the last car leaving Pontiac. This happened on the CN just before the train got to Detroit. Where on the CN would the wye have been where this move could have been made?
Andy
I would guess Milwaukee Junction?
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with SD80
SD80MAC wrote:
twropr wrote:On Sat. the 16th Amtrak #351 had a bad coupler in the first car, which required the train to be turned on a wye so that the locomotive could couple onto what had been the last car leaving Pontiac. This happened on the CN just before the train got to Detroit. Where on the CN would the wye have been where this move could have been made?
Andy
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR wrote:I agree with SD80
SD80MAC wrote:
Andy
Pontiac Yard wye at West Blvd., Pontiac.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

actually they had to wye twice.....once the entire consist, then cut the engine off..run up to main 1 to Ford and cross over to main 2 and run south on main 2,around the wye and then back to the train.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Where's Ford? Also, so they were about to pull southbound out of the station, found they had a bad coupler so they need to get to the other end of the train to hook it up there. So then they pushed the train all the way up to the wye at West, and then...? I'm not understanding the movements, because wouldn't it necessitate three movements to get to the back of the train to bring it to the front (one pushed up the wye, then pulled down the other wye, then disconnect the locamotive and run it around to the front)?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

It depends where enroute the coupler issue was discovered.

Ford is at Milepost 7 on the Holly Sub, location of the old Ford Jct before the diamonds were removed.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

How did they discover a coupler issue? Did the train come apart? Was it just a knuckle?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

MiddleMI wrote:Where's Ford? Also, so they were about to pull southbound out of the station, found they had a bad coupler so they need to get to the other end of the train to hook it up there. So then they pushed the train all the way up to the wye at West, and then...? I'm not understanding the movements, because wouldn't it necessitate three movements to get to the back of the train to bring it to the front (one pushed up the wye, then pulled down the other wye, then disconnect the locamotive and run it around to the front)?
Just south of 6 miles rd where the Detroit Terminal use to cross. ROW still visible. Parallels Jerome st.

coasterrider
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by coasterrider »

2 train seperations 1 at troy station 2nd at oakland and nevada streets.pulled train down to D&M and then the fun began. bet the crew was tired after that episode.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

The whole mention of the Pontiac Yard wye three me completely off. If this happened in Detroit, we're talking about Milwaukee Junction where they'd have wyed and where all of the movements would have taken place. Curious, though, that if they wyed the whole train at the junction (I'm assuming that mean they'd wyed it onto the Mt. Clemens Sub, right?), that they'd have to go all the way back up to Ford to cross over given that there is a cross-over just north of Milwaukee Junction unless I'm not understanding where they left the train.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

MiddleMI wrote:The whole mention of the Pontiac Yard wye three me completely off. If this happened in Detroit, we're talking about Milwaukee Junction where they'd have wyed and where all of the movements would have taken place. Curious, though, that if they wyed the whole train at the junction (I'm assuming that mean they'd wyed it onto the Mt. Clemens Sub, right?), that they'd have to go all the way back up to Ford to cross over given that there is a cross-over just north of Milwaukee Junction unless I'm not understanding where they left the train.
The train is heading south on the Holly Sub Main 1 (the west track). It stops and leaves the cars at the D&M signal. The engine turns at Milwaukee Jct then heads north on Holly Sub Main 2 up to Ford. It then backs through the crossover at Ford and down Main 1 to the rear of the train. It then shoves the train around the Sugar House Wye towards East Yard on the Mt. Clemens sub. It then proceeds forward to the Detroit station.

I wasn't there so this is based on what others have said above.

The stuff about Pontiac was misplaced.