CIM #81 SD20

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

CIM #81 SD20

Unread post by NS3322 »

The photographer claims that this locomotive has had major failures and is now awaiting the scrapper...
Is this true?
Photo by Chris Trower

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: CIM #81 SD20

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That was the case, however a recent update indicated that MQT has plucked the 81 from the deadline and is in the process of getting it running again.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

cbtrower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cbtrower »

Heyyyy that's my photo, lol. Glad to hear it's being restored to operation and that we didn't loose another great piece of history!

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

SD80MAC wrote:That was the case, however a recent update indicated that MQT has plucked the 81 from the deadline and is in the process of getting it running again.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: AWESOME MAN!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I hope it will stay in true
Chicago & Illinois Midland® paint! Is it easily accessible to view now, 6-22? I have a guy up there photographing trains! :mrgreen:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

cbtrower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cbtrower »

Its pretty easy to access, here is the location I use, its along the edge of a park. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.244514, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote: » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:57 pm
That was the case ('Scrapping'), however a recent update indicated that MQT has plucked the 81 from the deadline and is in the process of getting it running again.
cbtrower wrote:» Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 pm
Its pretty easy to access, here is the location I use, its along the edge of a park. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.244514, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Now, SD80MAC, when did the "Plucking" of
CIM SD20 #81 take place? Also, where is it being worked on now? :?:
Is it inside the shops in Manistee (where it can't be seen from the park)?
:?:

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

Go chase the train. It has been running on the road the last week... bad foamers..

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

i995impalass wrote:Go chase the train. It has been running on the road the last week... bad foamers..

:?:

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

i995impalass wrote:Go chase the train. It has been running on the road the last week... bad foamers..
Mean mr richards

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

OK, where is
CIM SD20 #81 operating trains? Is it up there in Manistee? This is a "Historic" locomotive in "Old" paint too!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: This is great to have it working in MI! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Does anyone have more info about CIM SD20 #81? :?: Has it been down to Grand Rapids since it came to MQT in February?

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

It's based out of Baldwin currently running to Ludington and back each day.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

BOHICA wrote:It's based out of Baldwin currently running to Ludington and back each day.

BOHICA, thanx for the info about
CIM SD20 #81!!!! What time(s) does this train run? Is it pulling trains with this one unit or more? Hopefully I can get this loco soon!!!! :D

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

by SD80MAC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 pm
Z151 at Lamar, MQT 3408, IMRR 81 and MQT 3406.
Just wanted to make sure y'all caught that IMRR #81, the former CI&M SD20, has been running on the GR-Sparta and Sparta-Baldwin MQT road trains this week. Where do they tend to lay up the road power over the weekend?

Nathan

LakeATCS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LakeATCS »

The devil is in the details on these things.

Look at the photo. Do you guys notice the 55 gallon drums cut in half atop the stacks. This is to keep the rain(water) out of the exhaust and getting down and causing all manner of bad problems inside the engine.

You don't do this on an engine that has a major failure. What is the point at that point?

A little observation and education goes a long way at times.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Folkz, I will be heading out to Grand Rapids area next Sunday/Monday (Jan. 21/22) and want to "Finally" catch :mrgreen: C&IM SD20 #81!!!! :mrgreen: Where is this unit working nowadays? Would it be likely to be seen at their yard out of Sparta, or is it based out of Baldwin or Manistee now? It seems like it's been on the road freight from pix I've seen recently!!!! All I would like to get is this unit!!!! Can anyone help? :?:

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Its on the thru freight to Wyoming Yard. Last I knew crew goes on duty at Sparta around 7ish AM and gets the train wherever the first crew left it...be it north of Sparta or up towards Baldwin somewhere. First thing, drive thru Sparta and see whats there. Then wander north and listen to the scanner or tune in here for further updates...best of luck. Thats what you'll need.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Robertrains wrote:Folkz, I will be heading out to Grand Rapids area next Sunday/Monday (Jan. 21/22) and want to "Finally" catch :mrgreen: C&IM SD20 #81!!!! :mrgreen: Where is this unit working nowadays? Would it be likely to be seen at their yard out of Sparta, or is it based out of Baldwin or Manistee now? It seems like it's been on the road freight from pix I've seen recently!!!! All I would like to get is this unit!!!! Can anyone help? :?:
Broke in the shop. Hope it comes out his week.

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

i995impalass wrote:
Robertrains wrote:Folkz, I will be heading out to Grand Rapids area next Sunday/Monday (Jan. 21/22) and want to "Finally" catch :mrgreen: C&IM SD20 #81!!!! :mrgreen: Where is this unit working nowadays? Would it be likely to be seen at their yard out of Sparta, or is it based out of Baldwin or Manistee now? It seems like it's been on the road freight from pix I've seen recently!!!! All I would like to get is this unit!!!! Can anyone help? :?:
Broke in the shop. Hope it comes out this week.
:cry:
OK, this engine will decide my trip to Grand Rapids!!!! My goal of the trip is to "Finally" capture C&IM SD20 #81!!!! Now, what is "Broke" on it? Is it an "Easy Fix" or not? It must be at the shop in Manistee! i995impalass, could you please let me know as soon as it is back on the road and where it is working? I will pay the gas to "Railfan Gary" to drive to wherever this unit may be!!!! It is the "Last" C&IM SD20 locomotive like this left operating (there are four from Port Inland Railroad® now at LTEX...but those are 'Patched')!!!!
Last edited by Robertrains on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Robertrains wrote:
i995impalass wrote:
Broke in the shop. Hope it comes out this week.
:cry:
OK, this engine will decide my trip to Grand Rapids!!!! My goal of the trip is to "Finally" capture
C&IM SD20 #81!!!! Now, what is "Broke" on it? Is it an "Easy Fix" or not? It must be at the shop in Manistee! i995impalass, could you please let me know as soon as it is back on the road and where it is working? I will pay the gas to "Railfan Gary" to drive to wherever this unit may be!!!! It is the "Last" C&IM SD20 locomotive like this left operating (there are four from Port Inland Railroad® now at LTEX...but those are 'Patched')!!!!
Out on the road last night. Daylight to CSX today.

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

It was one of five locos on Z151 in to Grand Rapids around 9:30 this morning. And back north at 6 mile road just after noon.