The NEW CP Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

The NEW CP Jackson

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

The signals in front of the Michigan Central depot in Jackson fell the other day, all replaced with new Vaders.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Re: The NEW CP Jackson

Unread post by SousaKerry »

did the dwarfs stay or did they come down as well?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Dwarfs gone as well. An entire new signal bridge was installed across the ROW from the depot.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Not quite....there is still a dwarf to come off the freight main.....and the JAIL now has a dwarf onto the main

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

The bridge has been there for almost 2 years or at least the upright was, guess they finally cut it over. Rumor I heard was the bridge was installed in the wrong location causing the delay. Does the Delay In Block sign and rule still stand?
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SousaKerry wrote:The bridge has been there for almost 2 years or at least the upright was, guess they finally cut it over. Rumor I heard was the bridge was installed in the wrong location causing the delay. Does the Delay In Block sign and rule still stand?
If you can't see your next signal in signaled territory, you depart delay in block.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Okay now I got to ask this since I dont remember but what does Delay In Block mean???
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Basically if you stop or slow to 10mph you have to proceed at restricted speed until you can see the next signal, and be prepared to stop at the next signal.

So in other words if you can't see the next signal and you take too long it may have changed before you got there. In Jackson's case the station is on a curve and you can not see the next signal so after the station stop you have to leave at restricted speed until you can see CP Hill East of town. So they put a big sign there that says D.I.B. to remind engineers of this rule.

It also happens to be Drayton Blackgrove's(a Jackson local) initials so he named his youtube channel Delay In Block which became Delay In Block Productions

And now you know the rest of the story- Good Day!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Trains don't have to go restricted speed...rather, you must simply be prepared to stop for the next signal, not exceeding 40 MPH or other governing speed. You can proceed as normal in accordance with the next signal, once it is in view, and the track between the train and signal is visibly clear.

"D" plates have essentially the same basic meaning, called a distant signal marker.

On CSX, both signs are placed where trains operate without can signals and exceed 30 MPH. It is a REMINDER, to a rule in force to begin with.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Saturnalia wrote:Trains don't have to go restricted speed...rather, you must simply be prepared to stop for the next signal, not exceeding 40 MPH or other governing speed. You can proceed as normal in accordance with the next signal, once it is in view, and the track between the train and signal is visibly clear.

"D" plates have essentially the same basic meaning, called a distant signal marker.

On CSX, both signs are placed where trains operate without can signals and exceed 30 MPH. It is a REMINDER, to a rule in force to begin with.
Different railroads have different rules on this and if your pulling a drag freight stopping your train in time for the signal may just be restricted speed. My point was it ain't track speed so it is a restriction. Thank you for the correction though. Where I run we have no signals and maximum speed is 12MPH so we are always restricted.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks guys for the explanation! :)

As a side note,I watch D.I.B Productions quite a bit but i never knew what It meant so double lesson for the day!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

JStryker722 wrote:Thanks guys for the explanation! :)

As a side note,I watch D.I.B Productions quite a bit but i never knew what It meant so double lesson for the day!
There's another popular channel called Distant Signal. I've been waiting for the right time to point it out...that according to the rules, Drayton's channel name isn't unique! Haha

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:Thanks guys for the explanation! :)

There's another popular channel called Distant Signal. I've been waiting for the right time to point it out...that according to the rules, Drayton's channel name isn't unique! Haha
Oh yes! TAMPA'S very own Danny Harmon aka Distant Signal Productions...I been watching his videos since his first video with commentary. My favorite videographer! Good narrating voice to boot too.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Danny Harmon is the Mike Roe of railfan vids

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

SousaKerry wrote:Danny Harmon is the Mike Roe of railfan vids
Spell Check: that would be Mike Rowe lol :P

I'll agree what that statement. Those two and Morgan Freeman are my favorite narrators out there. Although Alex Baldwin isnt too bad plus the the guy who used to narrate the Trains Unlimited show on the History Channel.