GDLK Gearhart yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GAP
Railroadfan...fan

GDLK Gearhart yard

Unread post by GAP »

This radio program explains the name of Grand Elk's Gearhart yard.

http://wmuk.org/post/rail-yards-new-nam ... -curiosity

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: GDLK Gearhart yard

Unread post by Jetlink »

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed listening to the program. You aren't by chance one of the folks they were chatting with are you?
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Jetlink wrote:You aren't by chance one of the folks they were chatting with are you?
Correcto. "At his home in Portage, rail fan Greg Peet" aka GAP. I recognized that voice as well.. been a while since I've been over to Greg's basement to see his train layout.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Nice testament to a long career . It's good to see someone honoured for their contribution/service to the industry rather than someone who thinks they did something AND feels they deserves their name on something. Most just deserve a small plaque over the urinal ! :D

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

M.D.Bentley wrote:... Most just deserve a small plaque over the urinal ! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's mighty cool, being interviewed for that! I wasn't around to see Botsford's heyday and I barely remember seeing the old horseheads come through. I vaguely remember seeing an ex-CR unit leading a local back into town on the AML while on my way to my sisters Girls on the Run race. I wish I had a chance to see what it used to be.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

When I was a kid my uncle would talk as we drove along in his car and point out "the railroad tracks used to go here" and "there was a factory there" etc. I used to wonder how he knew those things, but now that I am older I do the same thing because I saw things that are none existing now, like the old roundhouse at Botsford when it was called that. I saw steam on all three roads in Kalamazoo, NYC, PRR and GTW. There was the weekly CK&S trip to Richland and a set of Baldwin sharknoses leading a freight at Botsford. Many other sights too, but the point is I've been around a long time. You younger fellows pay attention and someday you'll remember great things too.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GAP wrote:I used to wonder how he knew those things, but now that I am older I do the same thing because I saw things that are none existing now, like the old roundhouse at Botsford when it was called that.
When did they tear the roundhouse down?

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I really don't know when the roundhouse was torn down. I was away from Kalamazoo for quite a few years, when I left in 1964 it was still up but when I moved back in 1998 it was long gone. I was hoping someone else would chime in with the answer. I just remember it was neat to drive past the roundhouse in the dark and see the number boards of the geeps lit up, #5660, #5668, etc. Kalamazoo was regularly assigned 3 geeps for the locals and 5 SW-1's for various switching duties around town.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The north half of the roundhouse was torn down between 1965 and 1972. The rest around 1984. The turntable remained but I don't know when it was last used.

http://michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Round ... ooMCRR.htm

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

GAP wrote:When I was a kid my uncle would talk as we drove along in his car and point out "the railroad tracks used to go here" and "there was a factory there" etc. I used to wonder how he knew those things, but now that I am older I do the same thing because I saw things that are none existing now, like the old roundhouse at Botsford when it was called that. I saw steam on all three roads in Kalamazoo, NYC, PRR and GTW. There was the weekly CK&S trip to Richland and a set of Baldwin sharknoses leading a freight at Botsford. Many other sights too, but the point is I've been around a long time. You younger fellows pay attention and someday you'll remember great things too.
Was just around your old stomping grounds last weekend. Sure looks strange with Kalamazoo Manufacturing gone. A couple months ago I watched a GDLK engine heading south onto the GTW at PJ dropping down out of sight behind the Upjohn Secondary ROW from Reed St as it went south, very strange to watch!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Remember when the SW1s were rotated between Albion and Three Rivers. On Fridays up to Kazoo, Mondays new unit delivered by the locals. Those 2 towns always required a switcher for the business they had. Only 2 towns of their size to have one stationed in town weekly. Conrail in the end still had the 9900 series RS3Ms brought down same way. 9942,9941 come to mind. You would see 2 MU'd pulling freights around Battle Creek elephant style. Carl lives in Marcellus and GTW sees him quite a bit.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

GAP wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:35 am

I just read on a railfan website that the name of Gearhart yard has possibly been changed to Botsford. Does anybody know if this is true and if so why name change?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

GRHC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:39 pm
GAP wrote:

I just read on a railfan website that the name of Gearhart yard has possibly been changed to Botsford. Does anybody know if this is true and if so why name change?
This isn’t funny.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

GAP wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:41 am
I really don't know when the roundhouse was torn down. I was away from Kalamazoo for quite a few years, when I left in 1964 it was still up but when I moved back in 1998 it was long gone. I was hoping someone else would chime in with the answer. I just remember it was neat to drive past the roundhouse in the dark and see the number boards of the geeps lit up, #5660, #5668, etc. Kalamazoo was regularly assigned 3 geeps for the locals and 5 SW-1's for various switching duties around town.
Perhaps someone with a better memory can correct this if needed. I thought the roundhouse burned down during a firefighter strike back before Kalamazoo merged police and fire.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:58 pm
GRHC wrote:
GAP wrote:

This isn’t funny.
It wasn’t meant to be funny I asked a legitimate question do you have a legitimate answer. If not you could always take the time to answer questions people have asked you on other threads.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Jim_c wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:00 pm
Perhaps someone with a better memory can correct this if needed. I thought the roundhouse burned down during a firefighter strike back before Kalamazoo merged police and fire.
Conrail tore the round house down in the 80's (no fire) and removed the turntable. Locomotives were not allowed into the round house to keep the occasional carbon spark from setting it on fire. The turntable controls would give electric shocks so it wasn't used either.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

GRHC wrote:
While the GDLK collectively called it Gearhart, the original Botsford name remained in use by organizations like the FRA. The lease from NS and trackage rights on the also mainline referred to Botsford. Having documents that refer to Botsford and at the same time calling it by another name would be an administrative headache for people outside of the local GDLK staff.

The GDLK sign on the building does say Botsford.