NS Jackson Power

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ThreeRiversChris
Railroadfan...fan

NS Jackson Power

Unread post by ThreeRiversChris »

Over the last week n a half there has been a re-painted EMD wide cab sitting in Jackson yard, but from Elm Ave. it's too far away to tell if it's an SD60M or I, or possibly a 70MAC. Anybody know what it is? It's been parked on the closest track to the steel facility, and this am was coupled to a -9.

Also, with the Grand Elk taking power as needed to Elkhart for servicing, where does the NS power come from that's in Jackson. Does this power get filtered over from the Detroit area on trains?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: NS Jackson Power

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The power for Jackson mostly comes from Elkhart via the Grand Elk. They will ocassionaly run light power moves from Wayne but my understanding is this is not common.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Please forgive me if I appear to come off as presumptious, as that's not my intention, but there are ways to tell if it's an SD60 variant or a 70MAC.

1.) The trucks. Are they "straight" or do they appear "curvy"
2.) How long is the engine? SD70MACs are longer than SD60s of any variant.
3.) The road number. A simple lookup of the road number can give you your answer.

Again, I don't mean to imply that you're an idiot and you haven't tried those things, because you could have easily done all three and no one would know (since it's not really in the OP other than you're too far away), but those are my suggestions.

Sooner or later someone will know.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well, the easy part is NS does not own any SD70MACs.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Well....that's true

I do believe that NS acquired some SD70Ms from NYSW.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Clay320
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Clay320 »

I just call them wide cabs, works for me!

On a semi related note. A good spot to watch whats happening in the Jackson yard is to duck into the Blue Moon Cafe parking lot. One can usually see most of the locomotives in the yard and it's a good spot to watch the crews kick cars. There's a few picnic tables out there with a ok view as well. The lot is almost never full so its not a bother to swing in for a few minutes. Patronize the cafe (great food)if you need to justify your parking in a private lot for a few minutes.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

It's been parked on the closest track to the steel facility, and this am was coupled to a -9.
Steel facility? You mean the old MC shops that is now Miller Rigging? I frequently drive down to the yard office with no problems, the crews are used to it actually and don't give a second glance just stay on the pavement and don't go beyond where the pavement ends. I will usually park on the South side of the drive to watch the action. Just keep your head on a swivel as there can be quite a bit of truck traffic at times and you may need to move out of the way. I always stay inside the vehicle and never approach the yard.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Well....that's true

I do believe that NS acquired some SD70Ms from NYSW.
Correct, they do have the 3 ex NYSW SD70Ms in addition to their own SD70Ms.

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ChessieForever »

I just did an early morning Jackson Yard motive power check. The only locomotives in the yard were a pair of C44-9W's 9370 and 9770, a pair of four-axle geeps (GP38-2 5635 and GP38-3 5823) and a solo GP40-2, the 3015. 5 units was I could see and I drove all the way in as I always do. I'm in and out in a matter of a few minutes. I just turn around by the main yard office and drive back out again.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

No power comes NB for the ELK to deliver. TR Chris is right all power comes from the east to Jackson. Power for maintence in Elkhart normally heads south end of week just like NYC days. Since the ELK/NS arrangement started this is what has taken place except when train is of sufficient tonnage an NS unit is used for supplemental power.