Airslides in Michigan - Where?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Airslides in Michigan - Where?

Unread post by DTI973 »

Hey all,

Does anybody know where or who gets 50' airslides here in Michigan?

I'd like to do a research mission in the future.

Thanks,
Brian B.
Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Airslides in Michigan - Where?

Unread post by AARR »

Don't see very many. Occasionally I'll see one or two at the sugar plants in MI's thumb. For as many flour mills and sugar plants that are served in MI I'm surprised there aren't more around.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

There's a customer somewhere in the Saginaw/ Bay City region that gets those Cabosil cars which I believe are 50' airslide covered hoppers. They come from somewhere south of Toledo and go to Saginaw via CSX and Lake State Railway. Perhaps someone can tell us where from Saginaw do they go?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

I've seen them at Post's in Battle Creek.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Racer wrote:Perhaps someone can tell us where from Saginaw do they go?
Tuscola, IL on this end. Not sure on your end, but if I happen to see a car I'll check a waybill.

Practice Safe CSX

cmgnnut
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cmgnnut »

delete
Last edited by cmgnnut on Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Racer wrote:There's a customer somewhere in the Saginaw/ Bay City region that gets those Cabosil cars which I believe are 50' airslide covered hoppers. They come from somewhere south of Toledo and go to Saginaw via CSX and Lake State Railway. Perhaps someone can tell us where from Saginaw do they go?
I've seen these cars at Dow plants around the country. They carry a very fine white silica type material.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DTI973
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DTI973 »

Thanks guys.....

Maybe Toledo would be a better bet for me.
Brian Briggs
DT&I 1980ish

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

DTI973 wrote:Thanks guys.....

Maybe Toledo would be a better bet for me.
A more productive alternative would be to catch Q322 when it goes by in Wixom.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Racer wrote:There's a customer somewhere in the Saginaw/ Bay City region that gets those Cabosil cars which I believe are 50' airslide covered hoppers. They come from somewhere south of Toledo and go to Saginaw via CSX and Lake State Railway. Perhaps someone can tell us where from Saginaw do they go?
Already mentioned above, but these are DOW cars.

I've seen airslides at the sugar plant in Bay City, on the east side of the road.
~ Charles W.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

DCA Foods later Pillsbury in Hillsdale MI use to load out airslide cars.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Notch 8 wrote:DCA Foods later Pillsbury in Hillsdale MI use to load out airslide cars.
The transload in Fremont, IN (on the INE) gets Cargill airslides or at least did.

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

I believe Guardian Industries in Albion received Airslides in the 90s. I checked google maps and they have a roof over a portion of their spur so you can't see what type of cars might be there.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Back in the day, DCA in Hillsdale shipped out some flour in short airslides that the HCRC had leased for this move; however, most of the airslide cars people saw were of the 50' variety with loads of inbound flour and dextrose. Most of the cars of flour came in GACX cars while the dextrose almost always came in CCLX cars; they used to get some inbound sugar that came in 50' airslides too. New Horizons in Fremont used to get the 50' airslides, they now get PD cars.