Mineral Range RR

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Mineral Range RR

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The first shipment of nickel and copper concentrate has been hauled by the Mineral Range RR from the Humboldt mill to Ishpeming.

On Wednesday October 1st, Mineral Range hauled four carloads of copper concentrate and five carloads of nickel concentrate from the Lundin Mining Co. mill at Humboldt to the CN yard in Ishpeming. The cars will then be hauled by CN to be smelted and refined in Sudbury Ontario.

The news was reported in the Marquette Mining Journal. A link to the article is here http://www.miningjournal.net. You have to subscribe to read the whole article.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Re: Mineral Range RR

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

I've read that the Eagle mine only has a lifespan of about 8 years...after these 8 years I wonder if they will try and ship ore from elsewhere to the Humboldt mill, or if the traffic will dry up all together?

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I was up to Marquette this last weekend and did a little bit of fanning, turns out my new lady friend really likes finding trains with me. I followed the old MILW from Republic to Channing. We checked out the new railroad operations, they were tied down on sunday at the mill. I didn't see the GP9 or the C420 anywhere.
ImageMineral Range by Trackmen, on Flickr
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CAT345C wrote:...turns out my new lady friend really likes finding trains with me.
Is that what you kids are calling it these days? :lol: :twisted:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CAT345C wrote:I was up to Marquette this last weekend and did a little bit of fanning, turns out my new lady friend really likes finding trains with me. I followed the old MILW from Republic to Channing. We checked out the new railroad operations, they were tied down on sunday at the mill. I didn't see the GP9 or the C420 anywhere.
ImageMineral Range by Trackmen, on Flickr
That's some nice looking track. Lots of ballast. Been a lot of work done lately? I dig the defacto Burlington paint scheme. Is this a new operation or is it just something that doesn't get a lot of attention being its in the UP?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT1223 wrote:Is this a new operation or is it just something that doesn't get a lot of attention being its in the UP?
Brand new. It's on an old abandoned ROW. New ballast, track, etc. First loads went out very recently.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

For those just tuning in, the new railroad was relaid on part of the old LS&I republic Branch. The line was originally pulled in 2001/2002. Republic stop producing ore in the 1970s but occasionally trains ran out to republic for paint ore and reclaimed material. Rio Tinto was originally the closing behind the new nickel mine in Big Bay, they bought the ROW fr Cleveland Cliffs.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Is this a new operation or is it just something that doesn't get a lot of attention being its in the UP?
Brand new. It's on an old abandoned ROW. New ballast, track, etc. First loads went out very recently.
Love it! Nothing like a rail line coming back from the dead! :D
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

I wonder how old that loco is. Is that an AMD or an Alco.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

wagnew0923 wrote:I wonder how old that loco is. Is that an AMD or an Alco.
Oh its an EMD alright. SW9 or something very similar. Wonder if she has the original prime mover.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MQT1223 wrote:
Oh its an EMD alright. SW9 or something very similar. Wonder if she has the original prime mover.
It is a TR4A, built for the Belt Railway of Chicago. It's basically an SW7. I would guess it has it's original 567A block, though it may have been updated to 567AC.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
It is a TR4A, built for the Belt Railway of Chicago. It's basically an SW7. I would guess it has it's original 567A block, though it may have been updated to 567AC.
I hope someone goes up to catch this operation soon and film it for documentation while the business is good. All it takes is one thing to shut down or go wrong and this line gets shut down again. Plus its not everyday that an old name rises from the grave, even if its not based on the original.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Bulby wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Is the SW7 a recent addition? All I can find are an SW1 and a center cab switcher. What does the roster look like for the Mineral Range?

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

I do not have access to a recent roster for Mineral Range.

The "new" Mineral Range RR has been in business for almost 20 years. The main motive power was a SW-1 No. 600. I believe that 600 was later owned/operated by Vreeland Rail serving the explosives plant and the A&L scrap yard near National Mine. ( I am not really sure what the relationship was between MR and VR)

The Mineral Range had (has?) a center cab industrial switcher, a Whitcomb IIRC and a Plymouth. The TR4A is a recent edition. The MR also rostered an ex-Soo Line caboose used as an idler when moving loads of hazardous materials.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:I hope someone goes up to catch this operation soon and film it for documentation while the business is good.
Do you want something like this?

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=293904194150041

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Is SW-1 No. 600 still operating?

GAP
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GAP »

A few years back ( maybe two to four years) in was moved to Wisconsin. I think it might have been Spooner WI, either for the Vreeland RR or the Wisconsin Great Northern. Either way I can't find it using Google but it should be preserved at either place. It was built in 1939 so its a relic.

johnnycat
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by johnnycat »

Why is it when I look at the Humboldt mine on Google maps the tracks are all gone? I assume this operation is all over now.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

johnnycat wrote:Why is it when I look at the Humboldt mine on Google maps the tracks are all gone? I assume this operation is all over now.
That's because the google imagery is too old, it predates the re-installation of the track.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Saturnalia wrote:
johnnycat wrote:Why is it when I look at the Humboldt mine on Google maps the tracks are all gone? I assume this operation is all over now.
That's because the google imagery is too old, it predates the re-installation of the track.
Where are the Mineral Range locomotives stored when not in use?