GDLK Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GDLK Operations

Unread post by Dowagiac Train Dude »

1TrackMind wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:29 pm
Dowagiac Train Dude wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 am
NS stone train just went past the Elkhart camera heading up the line towards Kalamazoo @11:06 am. It looks like it was empty.
Probably loaded. The stone is much heavier than coal so the cars can't be loaded to the max.
Thank you for the info.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Grand Elk just went by the Elkhart cam towards the Elkhart yard with WAMX 4206 in the lead with WAMX 4225 and WAMX 4189 and 98 cars that were a mix of covered hoppers, tank and box cars.

Grand Elk just went by the Elkhart cam back north at 11:17 am with WAMX 4189 in the lead with WAMX 4225, WAMX 4206 and 111 cars in tow. Another nice mix of covered hoppers, box cars and tank cars.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Can we keep the train location/heads up reports on the section of the board which is titled as such?

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

Steve B wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:05 pm
Can we keep the train location/heads up reports on the section of the board which is titled as such?
Sorry, I thought this would be considered a GDLK operation. I posted on the train location/heads up Shortline thread because it’s also falls under that category. I apologize and will keep it to one board.

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrail Quality »

I happened to notice, a few times, a person riding in the second or third locomotive in Grand Elk's lashups. Now I always thought all the locomotives in a lashup are controlled by the lead locomotive (except for back in the steam days obviously) Do they have to have someone back there to monitor or run the other locomotives due to a mechanical issue? Just curious because I have only noticed it on this railroad.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Conrail Quality wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:48 pm
I happened to notice, a few times, a person riding in the second or third locomotive in Grand Elk's lashups. Now I always thought all the locomotives in a lashup are controlled by the lead locomotive (except for back in the steam days obviously) Do they have to have someone back there to monitor or run the other locomotives due to a mechanical issue? Just curious because I have only noticed it on this railroad.
Most likely just to many crew members. Could be a brakeman or if they have a trainee there may not be enough seats in the lead unit.

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:55 pm
Conrail Quality wrote:
Most likely just to many crew members. Could be a brakeman or if they have a trainee there may not be enough seats in the lead unit.
That makes sense. Thank you.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Conrail Quality wrote:
I had heard that they started to spread them between locos for covid distancing reasons.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Probably only 2 seats in the lead engine would be my guess. No one wants to stand all day.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Stand all day? I CAN'T STAND IT!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Conrail Quality wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm
1TrackMind wrote:
Conrail Quality wrote:
Even if there are enough seats in the leader, most railroads allow you to use your cellphone if you’re in a cab other than the leading locomotive. So sometimes additional crew members like brakemen will head back for that “benefit” too
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm
Conrail Quality wrote:
I had heard that they started to spread them between locos for covid distancing reasons.
I didn't think about that. Definitely a possibility.
Thank you for the reply. 🙂

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:22 pm
Probably only 2 seats in the lead engine would be my guess. No one wants to stand all day.
I definitely wouldn't want to stand all day, haha.

Conrail Quality
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:20 pm
Conrail Quality wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:49 pm
1TrackMind wrote:

Even if there are enough seats in the leader, most railroads allow you to use your cellphone if you’re in a cab other than the leading locomotive. So sometimes additional crew members like brakemen will head back for that “benefit” too
Makes sense. So that brings up another question for me. If you wanted to use your phone, would you have to wait till the train is stopped, or can you walk back to the second locomotive while on the move? I mean obviously, you could probably physically do it on the catwalks open the chain and cross over, but is it legal or permeable by the railroads? Most likely not safe to do but curious.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The CFR allows for the use of a cell phone for railroad-related communication when normal communication via radio cannot be established. On shortlines, this is often the case as they do not have dispatchers with radio towers every so many miles to contact a train directly. Both crew members must job brief and agree that it is safe to use the phone. This is only in the cab of the lead engine while the train is moving. Phone use is permitted when the train is stopped.
Last edited by SD80MAC on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

I drove through Otsego yesterday and the USG Paper Mill had 17 TTX and 1 CN tall box cars within their fenced in property and there were another 7 TTX tall box cars sitting on the siding just outside the facilities property. It’s really nice to see that much rail traffic at the facility. It seems that rail service to USG is really booming.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Sun May 22, 2022 11:12 am
I drove through Otsego yesterday and the USG Paper Mill had 17 TTX and 1 CN tall box cars within their fenced in property and there were another 7 TTX tall box cars sitting on the siding just outside the facilities property. It’s really nice to see that much rail traffic at the facility. It seems that rail service to USG is really booming.
They are loading around 5 cars a day.

Dowagiac Train Dude
Railroadfan...fan

1TrackMind wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 pm
Do you know how often the GDLK switches them out?

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Sun May 22, 2022 1:35 pm
1TrackMind wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:12 pm
Do you know how often the GDLK switches them out?
Generally 5 days a week.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Derailment north of martin. About five cars on the ground.