Unknown railroad crossing

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Steve Burgess
Railroadfan...fan

Unknown railroad crossing

Unread post by Steve Burgess »

I posted a photo of a railroad crossing and depot. I believe that the photo was taken sometime between 1885 and 1895. My grandmother's second husband told people in the family that his dad worked for the railroad in this youth. If you look at the last man on the left in the background you will see that there is a horse tied to a hitching rail with a saddle on. On the mans other side in the distance is a windmill turning pumping water. The only overhead wires appear to be telegraph wire on thepoles. Also there is a wood or coal burning stove that can be seen in the open door of the building in the middle between the tall man with the hammer and the shorter man with the white hat. There are no motor vehicles in the photo. The building on the right has writing on the side below the windown but I was unable to read it. Below the window is a horse drawn wagon in what looks like good shape. On the building in the middle is a sign but I cannot make out that one either. If anyone can ID the location of the crossing I would welcome the into.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayimage-68795.html

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Unknown railroad crossing

Unread post by ~Z~ »

First thing that popped into my mind is Grant Michigan, if this is indeed in Michigan. Not too positive though.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Steve Burgess
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for your input. Grant, Michigan is in the area where Robert Young lived most of his life and I will narrow my search to this area for now. Can I ask you what makes you think this is Grant? On the side of the building is a name which appears to be G B Kent this is may be the name of a business near the depot for shipping as there is a large door below the sign and a horse driven wagon park. Isaac Young made mention that his father worked on the railroad many times. Record checks showed he lived in this area his whole life. So I feel this is most likely somewhere in Michigan.

Steve Burgess
Railroadfan...fan

I was able to determine that the photo is not of the Grant, Michigan crossing. The hunt goes on.

trainerd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainerd »

Hi, Steve,

Not a clue about the location, but there appears to be an automobile crossing from left to right in the far middle distance (by the boxcar). also the boxcar appears to be made of steel. The clothes the track gang is wearing appear to me to be after the turn of the century. Maybe the twenties? Note also the paved road crossing the tracks in the foreground. Also it would help if the pics resolution was above 72ppi, kinda hard to snag details out of that. Good Luck. Terry :)

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Definitely not 20s, closer to right around 1880-1900 by the style of dress. Hard packed dirt can look like pavement in sepia.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Yeah I'd say that's not later than 1900.

trainerd
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Steve, try this one: http://www.migenweb.net/ottawa/twprecor ... story.html

looks about right as seen from opposite direction, has that funky swing out window, has the ladder. building construction looks to be the same. Hope this helps.

trainerd
Railroadfan...fan

Steve, I posted the pic in my gallery, trainerd. It's a larger version than the one on the GenWeb page- found it in the pages source code, supposed to be clickable but isn't in FF. That "window" looks like a train order board.

XGB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by XGB »

Hello,
I have a version of that cabinet card as well (although mine is in much rougher shape) and appears to have belonged to one of the men in the photo – last name Randall. Mine has a pencil notation of Bancroft (on the GTW main). The view also matches up with the Sanborn map of Bancroft and the photograph would date between circa 1899-1907 (photographer C.R. Hutchins). Additionally the architecture matches other near-by GTW depots. The elevator to the left is the W.H. Payne elevator.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mark Worrall

adams_aj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by adams_aj »

Nice detective work!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:First thing that popped into my mind is Grant Michigan, if this is indeed in Michigan. Not too positive though.
That's what I thought to upon first viewing, as the water tower and elevator seem to be positioned consistently with those in my photo from 2007:

However, the space between those structures in Grant seems to be a bit narrower and I don't believe three spaced out tracks could have fit there.

And since someone else confirmed its existence on the GTW in Bancroft, that all but eliminates any possibility of Grant.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Steve Burgess
Railroadfan...fan

I contacted the Grant, township people about the photo and they compared it to the photo they have on file of the railroad crossing in Grant and it doesn't match. I have found out the following, the man in question Robert Young 25 years old in 1890. In the 1880 census he is listed as living with his brother-in-law George Vance on a farm in Orleans, Ionia Co. He was married in 1893 in Holland, Michigan, and he listed Muir, as his place of residence. He also listed his occupation as Teamster on the marriage license.