Anyone still go to Delray?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
pica
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone still go to Delray?

Unread post by pica »

Many many years ago Trains Magazine featured Delray in it's "Hot Spot" feature. After the issue came out Delray was packed. I saw cars from Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin. Even though I never really felt safe in Delray nothing bad ever really happened to me. Does anyone still go to Delray?

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Re: Anyone still go to Delray?

Unread post by trnwatcher »

I was down there with 2 freinds just about a year ago. Although the neighborhood looked rough, we had no trouble. Where there about 3 hours saw lots of rail traffic for a Saturday.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

During the day I'm not aware of trouble with the neighborhood although there's an officer there who gives railfans a hard time once in a while.

I don't know what it's like to railfan there after dark.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

I get to Delray at least twice a week but it is getting bad. Don't forget, there are very little police in the City anymore and man the illeagle dumpers seem to be going crazy dumping in the 'hood. Lot of trains though.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Delray is still a good place. I have never had issues with the RR police. The neighborhood is not the the nicest part of the city but as long as you watch whats going on around you eveything is fine. I would not call Delray bad, yet.
Last edited by ConrailDetr​oit on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by b17bass »

I frequent Delray about once maybe twice a week. I have had no problems with the police or the locals but like all the others need to keep aware of the surroundings. I believe its still one of the best places in Michigan to catch alot of action, as well as meet other railfans. I generally feel pretty safe in the area during the day. I frequently see cp railroad police in the area that offer a wave as they know what I'm up to. I've heard rumors upon rumors that the tower will soon be replaced by a electronic switchboard far away and the tower will probably soon be demolished so I enjoy going down there and seeing the tower still busy as ever. sometimes i see up to 6 to 7 train an hour, or at times be left with nothing! Either way I enjoy railfanning the area and still will continue to frequent the area, I encourage more railfans to come down if and when they feel safe and enjoy the action.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

Can anyone give me an address or something to where they go and see a lot of action in Delray? I'd like to give it a try but don't know where to start.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The area right off Dearborn Street at the entrance of St. Mary's Cement along the former Conrail line is a popular place for 'fans to park, I think. Certainly don't park on Dearborn in the area between the 75 overpass and Woodmere Street - too many trains, trucks, and potholes! The variety is fantastic at Delray. I like to try to get photos of trains passing the tower (It won't be there forever), and then try to get some variety of shots a bit farther away from the actual Dearborn St. crossing area:

Typical shot of a train passing the tower. It may be commonplace, but someday this shot will be no more!:

There are a few places along an alley and the crossings down Carbon Street in the neighborhood of the Foreman Wye which offer good shots:

It's also interesting if you happen to catch one of the CSX or NS locals going east down the Boat Yard line to chase them into the hood for the possibility of some cool zoomed shots of them with the Detroit skyline/Ambassador Bridge behind, watch them switch out some creaky old industries.

I've never had a problem at Delray in the daylight. Mind your own business, stay off the tracks, keep your wits about you, and you should be fine.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Michigan Railfan wrote:Can anyone give me an address or something to where they go and see a lot of action in Delray? I'd like to give it a try but don't know where to start.
I'm going to be very honest and say that if you aren't even sure where Delray is then its not the place for you. That part of Southwest Detroit is completely trashed - almost every building south of the tracks between I-75 and Jefferson on Dearborn Avenue is burned out.

You can see about 95% of the same trains at safer places in the suburbs. See all the CP trains at Oakwood Yard, or go down to Wyandotte for CN and NS traffic.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Was there Thursday and again on Friday, but late and low light. We should buy the vacant lot kitty-corner from the tower and make a railfan park out of it. Seems everytime I visit that area more and more homes are burnt down, soon it will be a open field around the junction.
Never had any trouble there, just stay close to the vehicle, don't think after dark would be to smart.....

Did go over by the steel mills before getting to Delray on Friday.
Heres a couple shots:

Detriot Connecting 65 with two hot metal bottle cars:

and couple blocks over found Conrail mow and steel mill crews rerailing derailed gondola:

DC 459 passed by with 7 hot metal cars while we were there.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

GTW6401 wrote:I'm going to be very honest and say that if you aren't even sure where Delray is then its not the place for you. That part of Southwest Detroit is completely trashed - almost every building south of the tracks between I-75 and Jefferson on Dearborn Avenue is burned out.
Like this? http://goo.gl/maps/qt1zw
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Exactly what I'm referring to. That is from a couple years ago and its worse down there now.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Never felt unsafe down there. But it is depressing. Most moves are very slow. Lots of light engine moves. Never had any problems, but I can think of better places to watch trains. Get a digital scanner and put Detroit Fire in it. Delray is a hotspot for fires too. Takes up the slack between trains.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:
Michigan Railfan wrote:Can anyone give me an address or something to where they go and see a lot of action in Delray? I'd like to give it a try but don't know where to start.
I'm going to be very honest and say that if you aren't even sure where Delray is then its not the place for you. That part of Southwest Detroit is completely trashed - almost every building south of the tracks between I-75 and Jefferson on Dearborn Avenue is burned out.

You can see about 95% of the same trains at safer places in the suburbs. See all the CP trains at Oakwood Yard, or go down to Wyandotte for CN and NS traffic.
I know about Delray and where it is. Have had many family members live down there-although almost all have moved away. My mom, aunt and grandma are all from that area, and lived right next to the Woodmere cemetery as kids. I just wasn't sure about good (and safe) places to go for railfanning :wink:
Jake

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Then why did you ask where Delray was if you knew already?

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Food fight! :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

GTW6401 wrote:Then why did you ask where Delray was if you knew already?
Guess I wasn't clear enough... Was just looking for places IN Delray where there it is a lot of action. I frequent Wyandotte and Trenton, but am just looking for a different change of pace in terms of railfanning.
Jake

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Delray is a single location, isn't it? Honest question

b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by b17bass »

Delray is a neighborhood that is bordered by Dearborn st to the south, Fort st. to the west (I believe), Clark st. to the north, and jefferson the east. Very rich in its history that can be found on line. I drive down the streets sometimes and really wonder how it was back in the early 1900s? I'm sure it was still packed with industry and the constant sound of railroad traffic in the distance. My grandfather recalls frequenting Delray as an Italian immigrant to purchase produce and meats. He told as we returned back to the area last year of how busy with the markets, bars, movie theaters and churches made Delray a joy to visit. I do believe that is why looking at the old brick tower, standing strong still today is a way to see history still alive in that little corner of Detroit

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

The City of Delray, Mich was from the Detroit River west to the Railroad tracks and from the Rouge river (orginal channel) north to eather Post or Clark. I have see in both ways. There is a nice map in the Delray Community center. There was a town at Clark and the Detroit River called Clarkdale. The area behind the tower was the Carbon Works area where buffalo bones were turned into fertlizer.
I would say the City only went to Post St. and Detroit Edison built their power plant, Delray, just outside the city limits. Delray was really a great town but as people moved out it just kept getting worse. What is really bad is all the illeagle dumpers making a mess of the streets and with no police it just keeps getting worse.
Depending on the sun there are plenty of angles there or good place to hover than when a train is spotted, move to a better location for the sun such as Forman Ave or Pleasant St or down along the Union Belt or up to the MC Depot.
Just keep your eyes open, no napping there.