West Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
LSRC
Flat River Rat

West Michigan

Unread post by LSRC »

I'm looking for some info on the West Michigan Railroad.

1) Do they still keep the 100 parked on the siding east of Hartford? Where exactly do you go for this shot? (JT's picture)

2) I know they don't run to Paw Paw often (if at all any more) but do they still work around Hartford anymore? I assume that they'd run weekdays in the morning?

Thanks!

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: West Michigan

Unread post by Jochs »

As far as I know, trains don't run east of the cold storage place in Hartford (formerly Bellingham Foods) There were some boxcars stored in Lawrence but they were scrapped and cut up last year.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

cnw8835
Grain Train Fetish LOLZ

Unread post by cnw8835 »

Jochs wrote:As far as I know, trains don't run east of the cold storage place in Hartford (formerly Bellingham Foods) There were some boxcars stored in Lawrence but they were scrapped and cut up last year.

The picture of 100 was taken at said cold storage facility. The engine is kept on the north side of the buildings farthest from the road. You can walk across a field to get back there or in the past if drove to the back of the facility while they were open and asked someone who worked there for permission walk down there they had no problem with it.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Is the cold storage place the only thing still getting service on this line? I thought there was some kind of trans-load place too. What kind of reefers do they receive? That NW2 is a real neat little engine, and it looks great! 8)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GP30M4216 wrote:Is the cold storage place the only thing still getting service on this line? I thought there was some kind of trans-load place too. What kind of reefers do they receive? That NW2 is a real neat little engine, and it looks great! 8)
Not aware of a transload place. East of Hartford there is/was a customer who received a refrigerated box car every 6 months or so. Someone on this board got some awesome pictures of that movement. At one point it looks like the engine is floating on grass.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

thomas
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by thomas »

west michigan #100 is a ex CB&Q, at least the frame # research i did said so