Ann Arbor railroad Mow work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Ann Arbor railroad Mow work

Unread post by Ypsi »

I drove over the Ann Arbor railroads crossing at warner rd in Saline, and a front end loader was sitting near a pile of fresh ballast. Some ballast had already been put out on the tracks, but was not spread yet. This is eather a result of Rail America, or just standard replacement. When it is done it will look great though!
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ann Arbor railroad Mow work

Unread post by chapmaja »

Most likely just standard work. It appears several areas of the AA have gotten this treatment this year. It appears some areas of Ann Arbor have seen some work. It even looks like the Saline Branch got some work at some point this year.

Has anyone been able to confirm if they are going down this branch at all anymore.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:This is eather a result of Rail America, or just standard replacement.
Ok im lost, what does any of this have to do with Rail America? Rail America has NO trackage in AA.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
This is eather a result of Rail America, or just standard replacement.

Ok im lost, what does any of this have to do with Rail America? Rail America has NO trackage in AA.
I think Ypsi's inferring that the track work might be because of the rumored Rail America takeover. They might be getting the track in shape for the RA or something like that.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

LSRC wrote:
YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
This is eather a result of Rail America, or just standard replacement.

I think Ypsi's inferring that the track work might be because of the rumored Rail America takeover. They might be getting the track in shape for the RA or something like that.
Bingo...
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

etmccaus
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by etmccaus »

I'm not sure it's that odd -- same crew has tackled ballast work for the GLC for the past few months up in Howell, Whitmore Lake, etc. Doesn't surprise me that the whole stretch of the former AA was in need of some upkeep. Then again, the last maintenance records I have date from 1974 -- but I can't imagine maintenance trends have improved all that much since then, have they?

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Nope they haven't... The AA has been doing various track work for 4+ years in and around the line.... just a continuation of the improvements as far as I know...
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Rick in TC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Rick in TC »

And the GLC is doing work on the Traverse City and Williamsburg branch now. So does that mean it's preparing for CSX to buy the line back? HAHAHAHHA.

hobojim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hobojim »

Rick in TC wrote:And the GLC is doing work on the Traverse City and Williamsburg branch now. So does that mean it's preparing for CSX to buy the line back? HAHAHAHHA.

Not so funny, I heard a rumor ( I think from some short line nerd) that CSX in looking to ship unit trains of cherries to China. :wink: