Best Railfanning Spot in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Best Railfanning Spot in Michigan

Unread post by bnsfben »

Okay, me and my friend have been wanting to go somewhere that is a little busier than Durand. And we also want it to be within 1.5 hours from my house (I live in Rochester). Yes, I know Delray is very busy, but we want a comfortable place to railfan. I have been to Durand, Lapeer, Imlay City and Birmingham. Never really any other place. I have been to the Port Huron tunnel, but have had really bad luck there, has anyone else had good luck in Port Huron? We will probably be staying where ever we go for about 9-10 hours. We would like to see atleast 10 trains in that time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: Best Railfanning Spot in Michigan

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

OHIO
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

OHIO
Exit stage left

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

I KNOW OHIO! Even Matt knows I go there. But we want to go somewhere closer.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

In all seriousness, Ben, Lansing, maybe, no where else within a hour and a half from northern Detroit, with the exception of Delray, that you said you did not want to do, is going to have that kind of traffic. That is based on all the places you alrady listed. Just not going to happen. Only place i can think that you could see that much action at is Romulis, or somewhere on the Detroit line. But if you are talking about pulling up a chair like at Durand and not moving, your out of luck.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Romulus, you can park at the back of the bank lot and nobody will bother you. Best choice if you want to see mainline road trains.

Wyandotte may give you some ok levels of traffic, but it's better in the evening/at night. Park at the American Legion or whatever it is on Oak Street. Let CharlieX90 know if you're going to be there.

Delray is fine, my #1 choice, I have been there with no vehicle for 2-1/2 hours, never felt threatened. Urban violence is generally overplayed, and occurs mostly between gang members. If you have a vehicle, you will be 100% safe during the day. It sees more traffic than anywhere else in the state, although there are a lot of short locals and switching moves, which isn't always bad.

By the way, google maps tells me 1 hour 33 minutes from Rochester to Toledo, so Ohio may be your best bet.
Last edited by Shorthaul on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

OHIO

Avnx
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Avnx »

Shorthaul wrote:Delray is fine, my #1 choice, I have been there with no vehicle for 2-1/2 hours, never felt threatened. Urban violence is generally overplayed, and occurs mostly between gang members. If you have a vehicle, you will be 100% safe during the day
Don't forget to keep an eye out for the packs of feral dogs, seen many of them running around that area during the day. :shock:

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

Del Ray is a great place but any where from Romulus, to Milwaukee Junction can be great places to watch sit and watch trains. I would not spend a lot of Time in the Del Ray area after dark but, during day light its not to bad. Though in experience I have had more trouble at Del Ray during the day then after dark. but like said before as long as you stay close to your car you'll be fine or should be. Of course I have yet to see any of the wild packs of Dogs, Seen alot in the Del Ray area including a Coyote, but no packs of dogs.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Iv had great luck in Wyandotte (my fav spot) the American Legion hall is a good parking spot if you don't want to walk to catch trains. I Park in the lot south west of that a little more shade during the daytime. Best days iv noticed for Wyandotte are mon thrs and fri...just my observations.
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

I'm partial to the Saginaw-Bay City-Midland trifecta (assuming it's a weekday). If you know where to look, you can be chasing different trains all day long without any lulls. But, you did say "spot", not "multiple cities and surrounding communities."

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Romulus. NS and CP are doing ok right now and throw in Q322, Q321, D716, Q334, and Q335 and even maybe Q233 and Q234 is not too bad. Park at Comerica in the area closest to the tracks for NS. Near the Old Chessie Caboose in the park is great for signal bridge shots of Southbounds.

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

nssd70m-2 wrote:OHIO

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

delray.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thompsonville
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

EDIT: If there were more trains, and I mean a LOT more... then my favorite place would be my backyard. But since there aren't......OHIO.
Last edited by conrailmike on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Plymouth, if I don't feel like driving, and then only at certain parts of the day. Otherwise, OHIO.
Owosso Steve

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The Southwest side of Detroit and surrounding suburbs are the best areas to railfan in Michigan, but I never sit in the same spot.

You'll miss about 3/4ths of the trains around if you sit in certain places, like missing everything coming into Oakwood off the Detroit Line at CP-YD. You'll never see those trains at Delray, nor will you see everything heading west out of either Oakwood or Rougemere.

Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Crow T Robot »

Montana :P
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=24021
http://crow_t_robot.rrpicturearchives.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spawn674 - I need a better video camera

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Well, I'd say Elkhart, IN :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's only a few miles south of the MI/IN border :lol:

Trowbridge used to be a good spot. Could still be if you hit it at the right time.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1