Michigan Cabooses

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Michigan Cabooses

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:Only active cab in GR is the CSX wide vision...the rest are OOS. Holland only has a shoving platform now...not a caboose per se...it is just a modified car
If you are talking about the caboose in CSX paint it is technically a Bay Window Caboose, and that I have caught many times. The Wide Vision or extended Vision caboose is still in yellow Chessie/C&O paint. I have seen it once.
MQT3001 wrote:
Mark F wrote: I've been told that the Ravenna Historical Society has purchased a caboose through contacts at the Coopersville and Marne RR to be placed at the Musketawa Trail trailhead in Ravenna this summer. Anyone know which caboose this is?
I'm guessing this would be the one that came into town with the John Engler, and it still just sitting on its panel track. I don't know the road name or number, if there is any.
That is a C&O caboose, and one time I was told it's number but it escapes me. It has C&O castings on the trucks, and I believe it's in the 90000 series. Yellow paint is coming through in some spots.
EWRice wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
Mark F wrote: I've been told that the Ravenna Historical Society has purchased a caboose through contacts at the Coopersville and Marne RR to be placed at the Musketawa Trail trailhead in Ravenna this summer. Anyone know which caboose this is?
I'm guessing this would be the one that came into town with the John Engler, and it still just sitting on its panel track. I don't know the road name or number, if there is any.
No. That one is still for sale and sitting in Coopersville. I believe the one that has been purchased is the gtw caboose on 68th st in Alendale.
That's a real nice caboose when I last saw it, but it was hard to see from the road. Maybe a PRR caboose could be purchased to compliment the GT caboose to reflect two of the owners of the former MGR&I. I don't believe any GR&I equipment survives.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

martinsuper
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by martinsuper »

I just bought the EJ&E 541 captive caboose in Lawrence, MI.

Track will be build at my RV Park in the next two weeks and we will be transporting in about three weeks to South Haven, MI. I will take lots of pictures and video if you guys are interested.

Regards,
Martin Super
www.jensensrvpark.com
EJ&E 541

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I'd like to see some pictures, particularly of the transfer off the truck and onto your track.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone know the heritage of the caboose that now serves ice cream in Alto?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

martinsuper
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:I'd like to see some pictures, particularly of the transfer off the truck and onto your track.
I will post tons of pictures. Only the wheels will be going "on a truck". The caboose body will have a custom semi trailer wheel system fitted to the bottom of it, then we will simply tow it down the road like a big trailer. Upon arrival, we will do the same process in reverse.
EJ&E 541

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Attention Martinsuper: Congrats and good luck. I know several people that own cabooses, one of which is actually operational and moved around on Class 1 freight trains. And, in each case, what I have heard from them is the same theme -- Owning a Caboose ain't a cheap hobby.

Would appreciate your posting the COSTS that you incur in doing this move, to help educate others that it is not a venture for the weak-at-wallet folks. Costs like: cranes, trucks, trailers, permits, power line raising (if needed), etc. etc. etc. Thanks for the info when you can get around to it.

Tim
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tim »

From Roger Kirkpatrick's caboose list;
Alto, B&O 904017 steel bay window, Ice Cream Caboose, M-50, north of town

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

MQT1223 wrote:Anyone know the heritage of the caboose that now serves ice cream in Alto?
Info on the Ice Cream Caboose on their web site: http://caboose.servdrive.com/site/contact-us/our-story/
Lots of pictures on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IceCreamCaboose/

martinsuper
Railroadfan...fan

NYCMan wrote:
Would appreciate your posting the COSTS that you incur in doing this move, to help educate others that it is not a venture for the weak-at-wallet folks.
Caboose: $9000
Crane: We are avoiding this by using a 50 ton jack and a custom caboose moving semi rig.
Trucking: $1800
Track and install: $2400 (I have to dig the 10x60 hole, compact it, gravel it, and compact the gravel)

I will run my own 100amp electric and restore the caboose over the winter. Will probably be another $4000 but only because Im doing it all myself.

I run an RV park, so the caboose will be restored to original condition as possible, and rented weekly.

But mostly, its for me and my son to play "Ticket to Ride" :wink:

You can see from the pics, it needs A LOT of work.
EJ&E 541

martinsuper
Railroadfan...fan

Frankly speaking, I'm really doing this on the cheap. I read an article from Trains magazine from about ten years ago. The guy spent $36,000 just to buy it and set it on tracks at his house!

To me, that's nuts!

If this goes well, I will pay it off in a year or two, and then its onto another!

If any of you have questions, feel free to PM me! A few of you already have.
EJ&E 541

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

martinsuper wrote:Frankly speaking, I'm really doing this on the cheap. I read an article from Trains magazine from about ten years ago. The guy spent $36,000 just to buy it and set it on tracks at his house!

To me, that's nuts!

If this goes well, I will pay it off in a year or two, and then its onto another!
Martin, have you ever been to Dunsmuir, CA., and/or are you aware of the caboose resort there?
http://www.rrpark.com/

(photos are mine)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

My first marriage we stayed at the Red Caboose in near Ronks, Pa. for a few nights. At the time the place was getting a little run down but I understand it is under new management now. It was an interesting experience the caboose would sway a bit in the wind. The caboose we were in was completely gutted and had a small bathroom at one end and a queen sized bed under the copula. The chopped a hole in the side to make it handicapped accessible, this was the only one like that most others were set up with bunk beds and looked a little more original.

Considering how that marriage ended up I would not recommend it ;-) Your mileage my vary.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Tim wrote:From Roger Kirkpatrick's caboose list;
Alto, B&O 904017 steel bay window, Ice Cream Caboose, M-50, north of town
Actually almost due east of town and being south of the tracks a lil bit south.
Weekday afternoons you can watch Y106 and the amiable crew switch Alto Gas and the pipe yard before heading west again to Wyoming.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

aghudley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by aghudley »

The former GTW caboose 75002 (ATSF 1635) in Comins that had no markings has been given a D&M paint job and numbered 52139 some time between prior to October 2015. A 2014 post mentioned a D&M caboose in Comins. It is obviously an ex AT&SF, ex GTW caboose.
aghudley
Silent Whistles

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

martinsuper:
Did you move it? Photos? :D

Firemedic Mike
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Firemedic Mike »

The plan is to move it tomorrow. It should be well documented.
I save lives. What do you do?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Doesn't look like martinsuper has been back on here since last summer. Anyone see any photos from this move or how it's now set up?
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Myself and TR Chris were in Lawrence walking the line and the caboose was gone. Only the 2 CN insulated boxcars and remnants of a hopper car that was cut up. This was in February.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

EWRice wrote:
MQT3001 wrote: I'm guessing this would be the one that came into town with the John Engler, and it still just sitting on its panel track. I don't know the road name or number, if there is any.
No. That one is still for sale and sitting in Coopersville. I believe the one that has been purchased is the gtw caboose on 68th st in Alendale.

This caboose has since been moved next to the depot in Clare.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Firemedic Mike wrote:The plan is to move it tomorrow. It should be well documented.
Well, so much for that. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.