Wolverine questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Wolverine questions

Unread post by Ypsi »

On thursday, Amtrak wolverine train 352 arrived into Ann Arbor at 9:30, it did not depart until about 10:35. I was wondering, why did they have to take such a long stop?

And today amtrak wolverine 352 had 2 cafe/ business cars, why would it need 2 cafe cars, this has happend at least one other time.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Shorthaul
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wolverine questions

Unread post by Shorthaul »

Well, were there any other trains in the area? If so, there was probably a problem with another train in the area. If not, there was either a problem with the equipment, a crew member or passenger, or there was track work. Did you hear/see anything related to this?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Not sure if its related or not, but Friday evening, a eastbound Pontiac train, had three units on the rear, when I seen it a Pine Jct.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Delay was most likely for a crew change.

TwisterJay29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TwisterJay29 »

Crew change is what I would guess. I remember seeing on Thursday that 352 was behind about 3 hours.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

If I remember right it was for a crew change. At least that is what was talked about on the scanner.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

late trains account of flash flood warning from Kal to Jxn

Davey Jones, are you sure about which day that you saw that?? I ended up going to KAL thurs night to cut 2 units off the rear of 354 and put them away in Botford to use on an extra the next day with the FRA cars testing to Chi outta da Zoo.

Amtrak has been putting 2 cafe cars on some of the longer trains lately to help keep the passengers fed and watered more quickly--evidently some of those 350-500 pass count trains are a little taxing on one LSA, not too mention the normal 1 cafe running out of food/drinks with that high of a count.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Nope was trying to figure out what day it was, but something told me Friday afternoon, but you would be right. Talk about freeaky looking, with three units on the rear.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Buster Manning wrote:late trains account of flash flood warning from Kal to Jxn

Davey Jones, are you sure about which day that you saw that?? I ended up going to KAL thurs night to cut 2 units off the rear of 354 and put them away in Botford to use on an extra the next day with the FRA cars testing to Chi outta da Zoo.

Amtrak has been putting 2 cafe cars on some of the longer trains lately to help keep the passengers fed and watered more quickly--evidently some of those 350-500 pass count trains are a little taxing on one LSA, not too mention the normal 1 cafe running out of food/drinks with that high of a count.
Now, I have to ask, if Amtrak is getting full on their Wolverine serivcem wouldn't it help to maybe put in some orders for new passenger cars and keep increasing? I mean right now this is where Amtrak can shine especially in the day of $1,000 per seat airlines, Amtrak seems to still be running 5 car sets usually. Anyway to get that to 7 or 8 and dare I say it, a heritage baggage car?

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Lately the trains have been running 6 cars during the week and as many as 10 cars on the weekend. The cars that were upgraded with the stimulus money are getting into circulation to get the car counts up(although i imagine those amfleet cars that were upgraded will still be a pain in the aas with their doors that slide into the carbody getting full of snow and ice in the winter). A baggage car would be nice--the conductors would appreciate it.

As for ordering new cars, that is on someones' long range plan; with the upcoming PTC requirements, there has been speculation regarding car design with regards to crash worthiness and weight . I think management is waiting to see how that 'plays' out and then go from there on how to order equipment; myself, we will see............