Wooden Bridge At Howell

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Wooden Bridge At Howell

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

In today's local paper was this article:

CITY TO EVALUATE BRIDGE
The city of Howell plans to conduct a study of the Isbell Street Bridge owned by CSX Corp. after the company closed the bridge in December. The Jacksonville Fla transportation company wants to remove the bridge it has deemed as unsafe because of weakened supports. City Manager Shea Charles said the city will conduct an evaluation and report results to the City Council in March.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Re: Wooden Bridge At Howell

Unread post by CAT345C »

I knew I should not have driven my truck over that bridge.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Bob M. wrote:In today's local paper was this article:

CITY TO EVALUATE BRIDGE
The city of Howell plans to conduct a study of the Isbell Street Bridge owned by CSX Corp. after the company closed the bridge in December. The Jacksonville Fla transportation company wants to remove the bridge it has deemed as unsafe because of weakened supports. City Manager Shea Charles said the city will conduct an evaluation and report results to the City Council in March.
I wonder how they came to the conclusion to close it. Did someone drive over it and feel it move or hear a cracking sound, and then alert the authorities? Or, does it receive routine inspections and they discovered the weakness then?

It would be sad to see that historical bridge disappear. There can't be too many of that type still left in Michigan (another one is up near Newaygo).

Hell, if they can keep the old wooden trestle in Hamilton safe for heavy railroad equipment crossing it, they can surely shore up that bridge to make it safe for a automobiles again.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

Strange...I've driven over that bridge a number of times with the ambulance and never had any problems. Our trucks weigh about 5 to 6 tons loaded. Must've been an incident over the weekend or some time ago that the authorities finally decided to look into. Hopefully it can be fixed. Some of you guys have taken some great pics from that bridge. Plus, it just plain looks cool over the tracks!!

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Answer is easy, one less thing CSX has to maintain.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Gov. Crappo »

in 1988 my stepbrother drove his pickup off that bridge...in 1999 someone had placed about 20 fire extingushers under it...which Q326 promptly exploded. we had to stop in between the switches at Howell to clean the windshield...

:oops: got to 2nd base under that bridge in 1982...

lotta memories....
i hate the interstate and the infernal combustion engine
nothing is sweeter then the smell of coalsmoke in the morning
"hey are you waiting for a train too?"

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

For those who do not know the howell area very well, heres the bridge with Q327 underneth it. Geez Bob when one thing bad happens in howell, it seems like more are to follow. First IP closing, now a possibilty of closing the bridge.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

D709 1992

IIRC there was a big ta-do about this bridge in the 80's...CSX wanted gone ..city fought and won...something about "emergancy vehical access" to that side of the tracks ...this was around the time they removed the Fowler st crossing...

pfs
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pfs »

IP is closing...crap!

That was a good spot to shoot sitting rolling stock.

One would assume the locals will want to bridge to remain for emergency services etc.

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

pfs wrote:IP is closing...crap!

That was a good spot to shoot sitting rolling stock.

One would assume the locals will want to bridge to remain for emergency services etc.
IP was good place to catch some local action too..D709 1992

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Please upload more photos!!!!!!!!

Gov. Crappo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: the other Howell bridges

1993 ..

same place oppisite direction 1994

Howell Depot 2004

PSK at CH45.2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PSK at CH45.2 »

Awww man...say it ain't so.

W50211 on August 12, 2007

Q33527 on January 27, 2008

Q32709 on June 9, 2008

X50031 on November 1, 2008
Pete (PSK at CH45.2)

Big T
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Big T »

It would be a shame to see another wooden bridge go. I watched the bridge over the CSX Port Huron sub outside of Vassar burn up in September of 1998 (?). Actually, I think the HESR had taken it over by then... I'm not sure. It was one hell of a fire!!! darn near lost a house with that one too.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

I always thought the city owned the bridge. I'm working in Howell this month and part of Feb. so I'll have to make a drive over there and confirm that it's closed. I don't remember seeing anything posted in central dispatch or a memo about the closure.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

firemedic54 wrote:I always thought the city owned the bridge. I'm working in Howell this month and part of Feb. so I'll have to make a drive over there and confirm that it's closed. I don't remember seeing anything posted in central dispatch or a memo about the closure.
Nope, Isbell Street bridge, or, Jewett Bridge as it became known when the Jewett family owned the land on either side of where it was built, as always been railroad controlled. As I sit here typing, I can see the two large side by side concrete barrrers, with a third sitting on top of top of it. plus, city barricades with flasher lights sitting in front of it. I am not sure how it came about to be discovered, but I think it was turned in by a track inspector or signal maintainer who noticed. When B&B inspected it, they found one of the main support beams on the south side of the rail was pretty well rotted out. I heard, that (for them) it was a fixable thing, but perhaps costly. That word alone may scared them into wanting to permanetly close it. Tearing it down, I would think, would be more costly than the repair, even though the railroads are known for spening a buck to save a dime.

To PFS, who earlier on this thread said,,, "IP is closing, Crap!" must not have seen my long story titled INTERNATIONAL PAPER, now many threads down.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Bob M. wrote:I heard, that (for them) it was a fixable thing, but perhaps costly.
Given the option, I'm sure the people of Howell wouldn't have any problem raising the money to keep that bridge open (or at least existing as a pedestrian bridge). It's a historical landmark and a little money SHOULD be spent to save it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

What would one of those timbers cost? 500 bucks?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Dose not matter, it is owned by CSX, there for is CSX already has it closed, meaning no traffic, CSX could come and tear it down tommrow.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Dose not matter, it is owned by CSX, there for is CSX already has it closed, meaning no traffic, CSX could come and tear it down tommrow.
And the railroads like to get rid of stuff like that for clearance, maintenance and liability reasons...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO