more railfest info

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Beal99
Railroadfan...fan

more railfest info

Unread post by Beal99 »

so 765 will be coming up, how does one get from ft wayne to owosso?

Also saw that they want to do photoruns this spring with 1225 for 600 dollars to be included on the trip, are they nuts? I guess not, some foamers will gladly shell that over

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Re: more railfest info

Unread post by GLC 392 »

the route has not yet been determind yet. and i dont know about the other.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

No photo runs this spring as the 1225 is undergoing its annual inspection. Won't be back up until May at the earliest.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

Jeff L
(00:00:00) Jeff L: #1

Unread post by Jeff L »

The best known way from Ft. Wayne to Owosso would be east on the CF&E to Lima. Then head north on the I&O to Diann. Finally at Diann, switch on to the AA through Osmer onto GLC into Owosso.

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

Jeff L wrote:The best known way from Ft. Wayne to Owosso would be east on the CF&E to Lima. Then head north on the I&O to Diann. Finally at Diann, switch on to the AA through Osmer onto GLC into Owosso.
Hmmm...the 765 was planned to be in Lima last year sometime I think (might have been '06) for an event with the city. Excursions on the I&O were planned in connection with the city's 175th anniversary. That is, until they discovered that the connection at Sugar Street between the I&O and CF&E couldn't handle the 765. The connection track has since been completely rebuilt, so who knows....

The other option would be the connection between CF&E and CSX at NS Tower, but I'm not sure how CSX feels about steam these days. That would have to be taken into consideration anyway with the 21 miles I&O runs over CSX between Lima and Leipsic. Should be interesting to see what happens...

There is a rumor that the 765 will be visiting the Hoosier Valley RR Museum in North Judson, IN, this year. Routing would be NS to Thomaston. From there, it would take to newly built connection onto the CKIN for the trip to North Judson.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

Why would 765 need to go to Lima on the CFE to get on the I&O to get to the AA when they could just take it to Milan on the NS and hand off to the AA, saving a lot of time and miles in the process; not to mention that when the move to Owosso is made, the engine might not be in Ft. Wayne when it starts the move. From what I've heard from my contacts on the CFE, they don't want that engine running around on their rr.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NKP 765 on CSX? I can GUARANTEE NOT! AA and GLC Seems the likely route...

CSX has a bad look when it comes to steam locomotives running on their track in the Detroit Area... Last Time was 1993 when NKP 765 was dressed up as her sister C&O 2765... her and PM1225 were here, but that was the last one... After Chessie became CSX...

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

I still wonder where Owosso is going to find room for all these people expected to come. When I left they had talked about making the old downtown hotel site a parking garage, last I heard that plan was nixed.
The dispatcher is cool.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

didnt u hear we are going to burn the rest of the town down and build a couple huge hotels then tear them down after.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Is the arsonist still there? Since I've left 3 major places burned. I didn't think Owosso firefighters knew how to put out anything other than a dumpster fire. Can't tell you how many times growing up listening to the scanner that OFD went to Memorial for a false alarm or dumpster fire.
The dispatcher is cool.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

yeah i dont think they ever cought him, the latest one would be the machine shop just south of SRI.

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

The Owosso metro region has been warned about the influx in people and are prepared for it.

As for the Owosso Fire Department they are good for saving basements!!!! :D
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

FireCaptain 1214
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by FireCaptain 1214 »

I love it when a area has some fires that go unsolved its always the Fire Departments fault and we get labeled "BASEMENT SAVERS". Maybe you guys should suit up and save there department.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Here's a hint for festivals and other crowded situations. I put my bike in the van, and park some distance away, in a safe public area. Then I get the bike out and ride right past all the traffic jams. Lock the bike to a lampost or tree, and enjoy the festival. After it's over, ride out of town, right past all the stuck traffic.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

I love it when a area has some fires that go unsolved its always the Fire Departments fault and we get labeled "BASEMENT SAVERS". Maybe you guys should suit up and save there department.
I say it to rub fire fighters..but I have the utmost respect for them....they saved the apartment building I lived in, in Minnesota (kept the fire contained to 1 apartment)..and that was with only 2 rigs!
A friend recently lost his machine shed ..Caro, Akron, Fairgrove and 2 other departments were helpless fioghting the shed fire (was already fully involved)..but they saved hes garage and house..just feet from the burning shed..despite a stiff 20-40 mph wind out of the west.
Rural (aka..volley's) have a dubious distinction as "basement saver" because that, sadly, ends up being the result (not usually the firemen's fault..if the fire isn't called in until the home or structure is fully involved..nothing they can do..which happens alot out in the country).
Dave C

LSRC
Flat River Rat

Unread post by LSRC »

Well if your layout is in the basement isn't that all that matters? :wink:

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Rural (aka..volley's) have a dubious distinction as "basement saver" because that, sadly, ends up being the result (not usually the firemen's fault..if the fire isn't called in until the home or structure is fully involved..nothing they can do..which happens alot out in the country).
Well when it takes some departments over 10 minutes to get a rig on the road is why most fires in rural areas are a lot more severe. Keep in mind that volunteers have to get paged out, head to the station to get the rig and you still have to include responding time after that. Even if the firefighters heads to the scene in his personal vehicle and beats the rig he can’t do much until they arrive. You also have a limited water supply in rural areas without hydrants so they have tanker convoys.

But look at the bright side Owosso has a Tower Ladder now.

West Butler
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by West Butler »

TrainWatcher wrote:NKP 765 on CSX? I can GUARANTEE NOT! AA and GLC Seems the likely route...

CSX has a bad look when it comes to steam locomotives running on their track in the Detroit Area... Last Time was 1993 when NKP 765 was dressed up as her sister C&O 2765... her and PM1225 were here, but that was the last one... After Chessie became CSX...

Why Not 765 on CSX? Back a few years back CSX brought in that CP steamer via the Chicago line. But, I heard back a few months back from a couple of NS guys that the route was up the Wabash to Milan.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

NS is possibile.... CSX from the way I have heard is really ANTI-Steam... Too Much Insurance... Too many Railfans Clogging the Tracks...