SS Badger - closed for the season

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

SS Badger - closed for the season

Unread post by ~Z~ »

https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/lake ... tem-damage

While it's not hauling railroad cars anymore, the former rail ferry has cancelled it's Lake Michigan crossings for the rest of the year due to damage to the loading ramp.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Re: SS Badger - closed for the season

Unread post by joeyuboats »

I wonder-- are those the original aprons, that were used in the C&O days to load railcars-- even though they have not taken trains across in years. Where do you get them, or make them, as that is not a standard thing to have laying around?

Muskegonrailfan89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muskegonrailfan89 »

Not sure how to upload photos but I have some if anyone is interested of the damage

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

joeyuboats wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm
I wonder-- are those the original aprons, that were used in the C&O days to load railcars-- even though they have not taken trains across in years. Where do you get them, or make them, as that is not a standard thing to have laying around?
I don't believe the apron is original. I have pictures of the old GTW aprons in Muskegon and they are much larger, riveted construction. I don't believe the current aprons are built near as heavy. The apron did not fail, though. The port side pilings that support the counterweight ballance arm gave way allowing the whole mess to tip over towards Pere Marquette lake. Probably from years of propwash eroding away at them under water. I would bet they are not only going to inspect and repair the starboard side pilings, but also the ones in Manitowoc.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

EWRice wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 pm
I don't believe the apron is original. I have pictures of the old GTW aprons in Muskegon and they are much larger, riveted construction. I don't believe the current aprons are built near as heavy. The apron did not fail, though. The port side pilings that support the counterweight ballance arm gave way allowing the whole mess to tip over towards Pere Marquette lake. Probably from years of propwash eroding away at them under water. I would bet they are not only going to inspect and repair the starboard side pilings, but also the ones in Manitowoc.
As far as slip #2, the one used today, I don't know if the counterweight structures and apron are "original." Slip #2 was added at a later date after the original 1897 Slip #1 (which used wooden counterweight supports until its late 1970s demolition). But as far as vintage C&O or even PM going back many decades, we have every reason to believe Slip #2's structures are. This photo shows Ludington's slip #2 in 1981, and from studying the photo and others posted by the photographer I don't see reason to doubt the date. The counterweight structures look the same as the ones used today, and we have every reason to believe the apron is the same as today's, now with metal plating covering the surface. I've seen photos going back to the 1940s of Slip #2's structures looking the same, but this photo is the one I could find easiest at the moment. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5838023

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Muskegonrailfan89 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:49 pm
Not sure how to upload photos but I have some if anyone is interested of the damage
Click "post reply" at the bottom of the thread (below the quick reply box). Look for the attachments tab. Upload up to three acceptable images. Describe them in your post.

TomArrGP49
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TomArrGP49 »

I believe the structures are all PM original. The only new parts would be the paving on the Ludington apron, and the grating on the Manitowoc apron. Here are photos I took back in 2011, when I was going back an forth from Ludington and Minnesota. I had no idea when I saw them loading the 6700 Tamper on the truck at the plant it would be going on the Badger. In a way the Badger was hauling railroad equipment again.
Attachments
IMG_1379.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0533.jpg

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

TomArrGP49 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:17 pm
I believe the structures are all PM original. The only new parts would be the paving on the Ludington apron, and the grating on the Manitowoc apron. Here are photos I took back in 2011, when I was going back an forth from Ludington and Minnesota. I had no idea when I saw them loading the 6700 Tamper on the truck at the plant it would be going on the Badger. In a way the Badger was hauling railroad equipment again.
The Manitowoc slip was originally used by the AA boats (I don't know if AA or the CNW RR owned it); PM/C&O used one on the other side of the ticketing building with older wooden counterweight supports. That slip has since been filled in. Then of course there was the Soo Line slip up the river.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

If I saw something on this, there was originally 3 slips here? Slip #1 did the same thing back in the 70's and collapsed into Pere Marquette Lake as well
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Yes you are correct --there used to be 3 slips at Ludington. Spent quite a few enjoyable hours there when I was
alot younger, watching them load/unload the boats.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

joeyuboats wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:56 pm
Yes you are correct --there used to be 3 slips at Ludington. Spent quite a few enjoyable hours there when I was alot younger, watching them load/unload the boats.
Yes we did, didn't we. Those were the good old days with three slips and all seven boats still operating. Spartan, Badger, City of Midland #41, City of Flint, City of Saginaw, Pere Marquette 21 and Pere Marquette 22. Even the old PM 18 with two stacks was still around. Speaking of slips, it slips my mind which boat was #31 and which was #32, City of Flint or City of Saginaw.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:21 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:56 pm
Yes you are correct --there used to be 3 slips at Ludington. Spent quite a few enjoyable hours there when I was alot younger, watching them load/unload the boats.
Yes we did, didn't we. Those were the good old days with three slips and all seven boats still operating. Spartan, Badger, City of Midland #41, City of Flint, City of Saginaw, Pere Marquette 21 and Pere Marquette 22. Even the old PM 18 with two stacks was still around. Speaking of slips, it slips my mind which boat was #31 and which was #32, City of Flint or City of Saginaw.
City of Flint was 32