Tracks in Fremont, Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Tracks in Fremont, Michigan

Unread post by David Collins »

I was scouring googlé maps to see if there’s any tracks close to my college and found some in Fremont, are they still in use, and if so, who owns them and how often are trains running on that line?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Tracks in Fremont, Michigan

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michigan Shore based out of Muskegon owns it. Very very rarely used. Wiki page of the customers:
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... n_.28MS.29
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

~Z~ wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:17 pm
Michigan Shore based out of Muskegon owns it. Very very rarely used. Wiki page of the customers:
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... n_.28MS.29
Yep, very infrequent. I am not even sure MS has gone up there this year. Ceres Solutions moved almost all of their operations that require rail in Fremont to White Cloud on the MQT a few years ago. I do believe Ceres in Fremont was/is getting occasional covered hoppers for fertilizer production.

Not sure if they are still transloading lumber.

I see someone re-added Gerber on the list as inactive, but I do not think they have shipped/used rail since around 2006 so I removed it. That is roughly when they switched to plastic jars instead of glass...which are easier to transport in semi trucks. Typically we do not include customers that have not used rail in 5+ years on the Wiki.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IMHO if the customer has a spur we should list it even if they haven't used it in over five years. Gerber still has a spur on their property (part of it is fenced in and could easily unload tank cars from it :) )
NS3322 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:20 pm
I see someone re-added Gerber on the list as inactive, but I do not think they have shipped/used rail since around 2006 so I removed it. That is roughly when they switched to plastic jars instead of glass...which are easier to transport in semi trucks. Typically we do not include customers that have not used rail in 5+ years on the Wiki.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

AARR wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:05 pm
IMHO if the customer has a spur we should list it even if they haven't used it in over five years. Gerber still has a spur on their property (part of it is fenced in and could easily unload tank cars from it :) )
NS3322 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:20 pm
I do agree that it is important to note past major customers...I will attempt to brainstorm a method of recording this info. :D

Update: AARR, I set up a sub-page within the MMRR/GRE/MS Wiki for former Michigan Shore customers as a test page for recording former customers. Let me know if you like it!
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Customers

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks good to me. Thank you.
NS3322 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:23 am
I do agree that it is important to note past major customers...I will attempt to brainstorm a method of recording this info. :D

Update: AARR, I set up a sub-page within the MMRR/GRE/MS Wiki for former Michigan Shore customers as a test page for recording former customers. Let me know if you like it!
https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Customers
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I don't understand why Michigan Shore bothers to hold onto the tracks from Barry Jct to Fremont anyway... that's a long stretch of railroad for the sporadic customer in Fremont. Gerber isn't going to come back to rail anytime soon.

I know the grade between White Cloud and Fremont is still railroad owned in case something catastrophic ever happened to the Grand Haven Swing Bridge but even that seems like a stretch to relay 10 or so miles of rail just to eliminate one bridge.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Perusing google aerial imaging, I would say that's not correct. The grade has been overtaken by civilization.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:58 am
Perusing google aerial imaging, I would say that's not correct. The grade has been overtaken by civilization.
Among other obliterated parts, at one point it vanishes through a golf course.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DaveO wrote:
I don't know what civilization you are referring to. I see only fields and a few buildings in downtown White Cloud that can be bypassed or taken back.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Steve B wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:43 am
DaveO wrote:
Among other obliterated parts, at one point it vanishes through a golf course.
Wouldn't be the first time a railroad cut through a golf course.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:05 pm
I know the grade between White Cloud and Fremont is still railroad owned in case something catastrophic ever happened to the Grand Haven Swing Bridge but even that seems like a stretch to relay 10 or so miles of rail just to eliminate one bridge.
That clearly wasn't accurate. Now you are changing the statement.
They could use imminent domain to reclaim the grade.
Reality is that grade will stay abandoned regardless of the swing bridge operational status.
I suspect(opinion) that outright replacing the bridge would be cheaper and quicker than putting track back between Fremont and White Cloud.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Decided to look at the Google Maps Street view image from Fremont. Interestingly, the image, dated Sept 2019 shows at least two cars, 1 boxcar and 1 covered hopper at the Co-op.

There is some property in Fremont and in White Cloud that would require reclamation to reinstall that line, and the gold course might have some interesting holes with a rail line smack dab in the middle of the hole, but I don't see the line ever going in anyway.

I think it would actaully be cheaper and easier to reclaim the Musketawa Trail from Grand Rapids to Muskegon and connect to the Coopersville and Marne near Hayes St rather than relay the line from White Cloud to Fremont. (Not that either would happen, as the most like solution, barring a major federal government intervention prohibiting it, would be putting a replacement bridge in place).

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:17 pm
Decided to look at the Google Maps Street view image from Fremont. Interestingly, the image, dated Sept 2019 shows at least two cars, 1 boxcar and 1 covered hopper at the Co-op.

There is some property in Fremont and in White Cloud that would require reclamation to reinstall that line, and the gold course might have some interesting holes with a rail line smack dab in the middle of the hole, but I don't see the line ever going in anyway.

I think it would actaully be cheaper and easier to reclaim the Musketawa Trail from Grand Rapids to Muskegon and connect to the Coopersville and Marne near Hayes St rather than relay the line from White Cloud to Fremont. (Not that either would happen, as the most like solution, barring a major federal government intervention prohibiting it, would be putting a replacement bridge in place).
I will also add that thus was CSX’s plan back when they operated both lines.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

chapmaja wrote:
I saw this too, was wondering about that.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:23 pm
chapmaja wrote:
I saw this too, was wondering about that.
Fertilizer for the co-op and a boxcar for the lumber transload.