CSX/CP West Detroit Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

CSX/CP West Detroit Questions

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

I have questions about trains in West Detroit. First, are there any intermodal trains that originate or terminate in the yard near I-96 and M-39? Also, do trains that come east from Plymouth turn southeast before the yard or south after the yard? I always assumed they went southeast, but I saw an intermodal going east across M-39 toward the junction with the track that goes south. Also, what is the name of this subdivision?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: CSX/CP West Detroit Questions

Unread post by AARR »

I believe CP originates and terminates two train a a week in the container yard.

Trains coming from the east turn east (before) of the yard. Look it up on Google Earth.

This is CSX's Detroit District.

And for extra credit a CSX local comes from Rouge Yard twice a week to switch the West Detroit Branch customers (scrap yard and Coke bottling plant).
TrainStuff13 wrote:I have questions about trains in West Detroit. First, are there any intermodal trains that originate or terminate in the yard near I-96 and M-39? Also, do trains that come east from Plymouth turn southeast before the yard or south after the yard? I always assumed they went southeast, but I saw an intermodal going east across M-39 toward the junction with the track that goes south. Also, what is the name of this subdivision?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

TrainStuff13 wrote:I have questions about trains in West Detroit. First, are there any intermodal trains that originate or terminate in the yard near I-96 and M-39? Also, do trains that come east from Plymouth turn southeast before the yard or south after the yard? I always assumed they went southeast, but I saw an intermodal going east across M-39 toward the junction with the track that goes south. Also, what is the name of this subdivision?
They turn off before the yard because there is no interchange/connection at the Fullerton Wye, anymore. The crossing is for what I believe is called the Highland Park Industrial Track (Union Branch) which is Conrail's. And, it only interchanges with the CSX Detroit District, now, so it's basically a dead-ender. East of the yard as AARR said is the dead-end CSX West Detroit Branch. The only "through" route after Plymouth is the CSX Detroit District which interchanges with everything down in Dearborn and Detroit.

BTW, what kind of trackage rights does CP have between the tunnel and CSX Detroit District?
Last edited by MiddleMI on Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

but I saw an intermodal going east across M-39 toward the junction with the track that goes south.
That was probably the CP pulling into the yard and didn't fit in one track. So they pulled through and set the balance over to another track. There's no where to go with intermodals east of Southfield, and they probably use that track for head room.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

CP 235/CSX X509 comes from Canada, makes a setoff at Rougemere and runs the remaining Intermodal to Oak Yard. At Oak Yard after exchanging Intermodal, the symbol changes to CP 234/CSX X508 and heads back to Canada but taking the connection at Michigan Ave to the Michigan Line and then to the Tunnel.

Lately intermodal has been stored on the West Detroit Branch along 96.

Any Interchange between Conrail and CSX is done at Livernois. Y122 runs from Rougemere to Livernois and back with cars going to abd from Conrail.

I think CSX sends a job from Rougemere to Oak Yard to deliver cars for the West Detroit Branch and then the local for the West Detroit Branch originates at Oak Yard as they keep an engine at Oak Yard to switch the intermodal cars around.

TrainStuff13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TrainStuff13 »

Thanks for the replies guys!

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Everything listed above matches with other descriptions and my own observations. There are two tracks for unloading containers at the CP site, so containers moving east of the Southfield was either for headroom or to move a segment of the train onto the other track.

The Conrail (former Union Belt) is/was switched three days a week by a job based out of Livernois Yard utilizing the CP-Lou/Michigan Avenue connection track. I know it was the LV-4 job at one point.
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The chemical plant at the end of the line (Quaker?) was the primary customer. I don't know if they still are open or if the get rail service.
GP30M4216 wrote:The Conrail (former Union Belt) is/was switched three days a week by a job based out of Livernois Yard utilizing the CP-Lou/Michigan Avenue connection track. I know it was the LV-5 job at one point.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

CP 235 stages it's cars on the CSX West Detroit, parallel to Fullerton

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

CR LV-4 still switches Quaker, PVS & 2-3 other industries on that line 2-3 times a week.