JAIL traffic

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

JAIL traffic

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

I only catch bits and pieces about this line and only very infrequently catch a train there. Is the coil steel place in Holt still the primary customer?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: JAIL traffic

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, Regional Steel Distribution Center receives about 10 cars a day. Michigan Packaging in Mason is next biggest (10 cars a week?) and Padnos in Lansing is 3rd. When they were transloading oil that was around 25 cars a week but I don't know if that business is still active.
jwilliam33 wrote:I only catch bits and pieces about this line and only very infrequently catch a train there. Is the coil steel place in Holt still the primary customer?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Is this line dark or signaled ? What is the frequency of the traffic over this line ? What is the current power on this line ?

Mike

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I believe it's dark except where they use trackage rights on CSX and NS. They operate two shifts a day. The night shift goes Mason-Jackson and back. The day shift goes Mason-Lansing and back. There are three GP9's in the 1751-1760 series. All operate long hood forward IIRC.
Notch 8 wrote:Is this line dark or signaled ? What is the frequency of the traffic over this line ? What is the current power on this line ?

Mike
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Joshua Niederkohr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Joshua Niederkohr »

Any good railfanning information for this railroad? Times and locations Please!!! :D

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

They run at night, so bring your infrared camera.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Joshua Niederkohr wrote:Any good railfanning information for this railroad? Times and locations Please!!! :D

Do a search on this page. There are two or three long-running threads on the JAIL.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

they come into Mason from the south sometime between 7-10 AM depending on how soon they get out of Jackson. After some switching South of town they change crews and head for Lansing. Your best bet is to find and chase as you may wait all day in one spot and never see them. They will return to Mason around 5-6PM and tie down until the wee hours to head South for Jackson.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Reid hasn't appeared to have had service in sometime. Their little GE 25T was looking quite forlorn a few weeks ago.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Reid gets service infrequently, maybe a couple times a year or so. I recall one time it was posted here that a train hadn't been down to Reid in a long time when in fact JAIL made a delivery the previous week.
TrainWatcher wrote:Reid hasn't appeared to have had service in sometime. Their little GE 25T was looking quite forlorn a few weeks ago.