Pere Marquette #1225 Hamburg Excursions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Pere Marquette #1225 Hamburg Excursions

Unread post by NS3322 »

Does anyone know the route the train will be travelling?
I have been told that they will go 30 minutes south of Merrill Rd Crossing and back.

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Pere Marquette #1225 Hamburg Excursions

Unread post by Pie39 »

Not sure, but I'm riding one and chasing one (or two...) on Saturday. Very excited with my caboose seats!
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

I have no inside information, but the last time they visited Hamburg several years ago I think they operated as far south as Osmer, to whatever the grade crossing immediately north of Osmer is. They ran in pull-pull fashion, with a diesel at one end. I think the 1225 was on the north end but I can't swear to it as I don't have my pictures handy.

southshorepapa
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by southshorepapa »

Does anyone know when 1225 is coming down to Hamburg?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

It sounds like 1225 will be leaving Owosso sometime around 7 am. A GLC unit will be leading the train south as 1225 will be facing north on the rear of the train.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Thank you all for your information.
So is it confirmed that the #1225 will run down to Osmer?

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

I will go out tonight to Hamburg—stay in a motel! Does anyone know where 1225 will be kept overnight? I would like to get some photos of it parked during "Fireworx" tonight!!!! I'll "Chase" and ride the train tomorrow (6-18) with my great friend "Mazon!!!!" We'll be at Durand when they pass through tomorrow night!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D
I've read that the train will park on a "Siding" tonight! Where is the nearest side track to Hamburg? :?:

—it sounds like the excursion will go almost as far as Osmer!
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Did anyone ride or chase any of the Hamburg trips today? I'd also like to know about routing since I'd be driving up north 3 hours from Ohio to see it on Saturday and hope its worthwhile.

Also, typically in the past 1225 always returns to Owosso as soon as its excursions are finished, can anyone confirm then that it will deadhead north after the 6pm trip on Saturday? That good make for some rare mileage chasing until dark!

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

I was present for the 12:00 and 2:00pm trips today. They boarded at Merrill Rd., with the diesel leading southbound, and 1225 on the north end of the train. Speeds were around 25-30, I'd say. The two trips I saw left on time, operating to approximately Osmer, the three-track yard between Joy and Warren Roads. I don't believe they crossed Joy Rd, but I'm not sure. There was very little wait time for the train to return north. I did not try to chase, setting up instead at rural grade crossings--there aren't that many of them, consult your map. Sightlines are somewhat limited due to woods, powerlines, etc., and the high summer sun isn't best for photography. There weren't many railfans out today in any case. The train looked rather under-patronized, I thought, although that could be because it was a weekday. Going to try to go back tomorrow and ride.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

How are the sight lines of the tracks in Whitmore Lake. They run right through a golf course don't they?

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:How are the sight lines of the tracks in Whitmore Lake. They run right through a golf course don't they?
They pass the edge of a golf course at Six Mile Rd, but its pretty hemmed in by trees and other foliage. There are several crossings in Whitmore Lake, but parking looks a bit difficult and, again, there's lots of greenery blocking views a bit. The line curves nicely through there, though, so I guess shots are not impossible. Consult google for aerial views.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MRC_Andrew wrote:I was present for the 12:00 and 2:00pm trips today. They boarded at Merrill Rd., with the diesel leading southbound, and 1225 on the north end of the train. Speeds were around 25-30, I'd say. The two trips I saw left on time, operating to approximately Osmer, the three-track yard between Joy and Warren Roads. I don't believe they crossed Joy Rd, but I'm not sure. There was very little wait time for the train to return north. I did not try to chase, setting up instead at rural grade crossings--there aren't that many of them, consult your map. Sightlines are somewhat limited due to woods, powerlines, etc., and the high summer sun isn't best for photography. There weren't many railfans out today in any case. The train looked rather under-patronized, I thought, although that could be because it was a weekday. Going to try to go back tomorrow and ride.
Thanks for the information MRC_Andrew.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

Looking at some photos my brother shot yesterday, I see that 1225 has roller bearings on its trailing truck. When did it get that modification?
-Fritz Milhaupt

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

fmilhaupt wrote:Looking at some photos my brother shot yesterday, I see that 1225 has roller bearings on its trailing truck. When did it get that modification?
Since NPE, they had the trailing truck off and got it converted. One step closer to getting the whole engine on rollers, eventually.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

I'll second what MRC said. I saw 2 trips and rode the 6pm. They stopped within the yard limits of osmer and then headed north, but did not cross Joy road. Speeds were slow but with traffic and the way the roads work there was no chase. Pick a spot, see them, then stay there or pick a different spot for the return. Pretty nice day and easy to get multiple locations with the many runs.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

All in all the old girl ran pretty well. Looked and sounded good. Well worth the $12 for the coach seat, and I actually got to ride this time.

MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

Rode the 10am trip today, then shot the 12:00, 2:00, and 4:00 trips. Had a good time. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the locomotive seemed to be working a little harder today; heavier smoke, a bit more "stack talk." Seemed to be more people onboard, too. Was a little surprised, though, at the lack of railfans trackside. On the plus side, my pix were mostly people-free! Anyway, a big THANK YOU to the gang from SRI for bringing the engine down!

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

$15 for a coach seat $19 if you bought via whistle tix (last time I buy in advance) Friday's trips were not busy at all so could have easily saved the $20 of fees for the 5 tickets I bought (while not taking away money from the society). In the meantime here's a still from a drone video (while they pulled south). While I also noticed the lak of people, real easy to avoid them from up there 8) I will be releasing videos from this weekends trip all week so stay tuned!
Attachments
image.jpg
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ypsi wrote:$15 for a coach seat $19 if you bought via whistle tix (last time I buy in advance) Friday's trips were not busy at all so could have easily saved the $20 of fees for the 5 tickets I bought (while not taking away money from the society). In the meantime here's a still from a drone video (while they pulled south). While I also noticed the lak of people, real easy to avoid them from up there 8) I will be releasing videos from this weekends trip all week so stay tuned!
Now that you said it, I too noticed the lack of foam. There was MAYBE (and I think that was a high number) 20 people out for the 10, 12, and 2pm trips I saw trackside. That was IT.

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

I do have to wonder what the story is behind the hobo Pooh that was riding this morning...

-Fritz Milhaupt