LSRC News

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

LSRC News

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

From Eastern Railroad News blog:

- LSRC SD40-2 6302 to debut in the new LSRC scheme mid September to match LSRC 6301

- BIG NEWS: LSRC is acquiring 2 GP40-3 RDSLUG sets from Metro East Industries. First set to be delivered in October, and the second set to be delivered in 2015. Mother units will be: LSRC GP40's 1178 and 1177, while the road slugs will be built from LSRC GP38M 2003 (ex-SP GP35 #7444) and GP38M 371 (ex-DT&I 351). Renumbering will be LSRC 4303/403 and 4304/304. Delivered in the blue and gray lightning stripe

http://www.easternrailroadnews.com/blog/

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Re: LSRC News

Unread post by LSRC_railfan22 »

LSRC is growing and getting stronger with the new management the there's more business here in Alpena more Center beams are getting loaded with cants. Second time box car getting loaded at the round house. Cement and fly ash picked up and stone. There gonna replace more crossings. Grant street was getting rebuilt I don't count that crossing because the whole street,water and sewer was getting redone. But Ripley St and Wessel crossing's are getting redone soon not sure about the lights or getting gates. I herd some work some work got done on the rails further south on the Huron sub So LSRC is making a big come back

UncleRaul
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by UncleRaul »

This is only tangentially related to LSRC (as it apparently used to get rail service there) but does anyone know what that big factory complex used to be on the south end of Gaylord?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

UncleRaul wrote:This is only tangentially related to LSRC (as it apparently used to get rail service there) but does anyone know what that big factory complex used to be on the south end of Gaylord?
If you're referring to the Georgia-Pacific particle board plant it closed in 2006. There have been a few potential buyers but nothing to date and if it hasn't already it is scheduled to be demolished.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

AARR wrote:
UncleRaul wrote:This is only tangentially related to LSRC (as it apparently used to get rail service there) but does anyone know what that big factory complex used to be on the south end of Gaylord?
If you're referring to the Georgia-Pacific particle board plant it closed in 2006. There have been a few potential buyers but nothing to date and if it hasn't already it is scheduled to be demolished.
All gone now.

Here's a photo from April 2006 of LS pulling what was most likely the last loads from GP.

Here's shot from April 2013.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Don Simon asked on the other board about a new customer on the LSRC that was loading untreated ties yes sir there is its called Stella-Jones, Its in Grayling in the Industrial Park on Industrial Drive i noticed up to about 4 or 5 cars at a time in there spur getting loaded. This customer is at the old Straits Corp wood treating facility.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

penn central wrote:Don Simon asked on the other board about a new customer on the LSRC that was loading untreated ties yes sir there is its called Stella-Jones, Its in Grayling in the Industrial Park on Industrial Drive i noticed up to about 4 or 5 cars at a time in there spur getting loaded. This customer is at the old Straits Corp wood treating facility.
Thanks, PC. Do they always load in hi-top gons or do they use other types of cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
penn central wrote:Don Simon asked on the other board about a new customer on the LSRC that was loading untreated ties yes sir there is its called Stella-Jones, Its in Grayling in the Industrial Park on Industrial Drive i noticed up to about 4 or 5 cars at a time in there spur getting loaded. This customer is at the old Straits Corp wood treating facility.
Thanks, PC. Do they always load in hi-top gons or do they use other types of cars?
Yep always the hi-top gons so far. Its good to see new business on the LSRC up north.

LSRC_railfan22
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LSRC_railfan22 »

There loading Cant's or untreated rr tie's on center beams here in Alpena and there box cars here again. Looks like fly ash has stopped again. But stone is doing good.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

I'm not sure if anybody has noticed yet but the Rifkin Spur in Saginaw is no longer used to service Rifkin the grade crossing at Genesee Street and Johnson Street have been tore out. They are supposed to start shipping from the new location I've heard but checked it out last night and the spur has not been put back in so no Rifkin scrap business for right now. I hope this is only temporary. Years ago the new site had a spur when it was Ferro Met but they closed in 1996. And it was removed shortly thereafter.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for the update, PC. That should end service on the North Shore Branch. I recall when CSX switched a bean plant and Rifkin there. The bean plant closed in the 1990's IIRC. Rifkin has several locations but seems to like to truck to Saginaw and load into railcars there.
penn central wrote:I'm not sure if anybody has noticed yet but the Rifkin Spur in Saginaw is no longer used to service Rifkin the grade crossing at Genesee Street and Johnson Street have been tore out. They are supposed to start shipping from the new location I've heard but checked it out last night and the spur has not been put back in so no Rifkin scrap business for right now. I hope this is only temporary. Years ago the new site had a spur when it was Ferro Met but they closed in 1996. And it was removed shortly thereafter.