Red Crescent?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Red Crescent?

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

While headed south on Telegraph Road this evening, near the site of the former PM Ottawa Yard, saw a "unit train" of flatcars also headed south (train was stopped, though), with each flatcar holding four military-type vehicles with the symbol for the Red Crescent Society. Vehicles were sand-colored. Perhaps nothing unusual in this consist, but I've never seen anything like it before. I wonder where they were coming from? Maneuvers in Grayling? A re-build somewhere? Directly in front of this train, and separated by not more than two locomotive lengths, was another stopped train, autoracks and other mixed freight. There must have been congestion at Alexis, Vickers, or Walbridge.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Red Crescent?

Unread post by AARR »

jimnorthwood wrote:I wonder where they were coming from? Maneuvers in Grayling?
That was my first thought too. I have also heard they will sometimes load military vehicles from Grayling in Midland.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

This is just a guess but those may be military vehicles being sold to fellow NATO member, Turkey. They have the crescent on their flag but I am not sure if the same emblem would be found on their military equipment and aircraft.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

That reminds me. I saw this rolling through Plymouth heading South on Tuesday. It was a mixed consist and had about 20 of these tracked military vehicle.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

I have been seeing those trucks around Detroit. They are ambulances. The Red Cresent is their Red Cross. Going to Turkey. Must be loaded in New Boston.

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Michael wrote:That reminds me. I saw this rolling through Plymouth heading South on Tuesday. It was a mixed consist and had about 20 of these tracked military vehicle.
Those are M270 Multiple Launch Rocket System bad boys. The video is worth a look.
http://www.military-today.com/artillery/m270_mlrs.htm
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

There was 4-5 carloads of them that went south out of Perrysburg toward Cincinnati a few nights ago (on Q507) First time I've ever seen military equipment go by the house. Thanks for the link describing what they were as well. I was thinking M113's but it looks like I'm a generation behind on my miltary spotting :)

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

KenB wrote:I have been seeing those trucks around Detroit. They are ambulances. The Red Cresent is their Red Cross. Going to Turkey. Must be loaded in New Boston.
More specifically, Red Crescent is the Red Cross's Islamic identity for when their having dealings in the Middle East (and other Islamic nations). Red Cross also uses a Red Crystal (diamond shape) to accommodate the Magen David Adom. It is possible to still see two older ICRC symbols; a red Magen David Adom, and a Red Lion and Sun.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

This train came from Wixom as for the past 2 weeks they have been loading these vehicles onto the string of flatcars that D739 left in Lincoln Yard over 3 weeks ago. I noticed a few weeks ago while driving to Port Huron for work I saw these flatbed semi trucks with these Red Crescent Humvees going southbound on I-94 all the way from the Blue Water Bridge. A few days later, I noticed more of these trucks, but this time I saw them going into the old CSX Wixom Transloading area being loaded onto those flatcars. I would watch D739 during my lunch breaks repositioning different cuts of cars for loading when they completed their work at Korex and before headed back south to Plymouth.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."