CN Upgrading Signals on Holly Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GT Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Upgrading Signals on Holly Sub

Unread post by GT Railfan »

Dose anyone know if the Signals at Watkins Lake RD (West Pontiac) will be replaced?
Take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the Ice! lol

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by firemedic54 »

odave wrote:No clue. If they're working their way north, then there's 3 other intermediates between White Lake Rd and that one in Fenton. There's also the signals at Andersonville and Holly Sidings, so it may take a while. I do like them for railfanning, since they're much brighter than the searchlights. I will miss the "classic" look though.
Yeah I'd miss that classic look as well, but I do like the LED's better. Wouldn't mind seeing them on the CSX Saginaw sub thru both Holly and Rose Townships.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

GT Railfan wrote:Dose anyone know if the Signals at Watkins Lake RD (West Pontiac) will be replaced?
I saw a crew at Watkins Lake Rd. this morning on my way to work. There was a shiny new mast lying on the ground, but the three targets on it looked like searchlights - I only got to glance quickly when I went by as someone was tailgating me. The old SB mast and signals were still in place. Maybe this is an interim step. I'll try to get a better look tonight.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Hey Odave..think CN will replace the searchlight signals in Fenton to the LED's?

bnsfben
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsfben »

JANGAJONGA wrote:maybe they have "Big plans" for the holly sub.
Ya, there will be a new Intermodel Facility at Pitt Junction on the Holly Sub... **(as nsglc would say!!)**

What traffic has increased on the Holly (what train numbers?)? Last time I was at Durand from 9 AM to 7 PM and all I saw on the Holly was 766 and that was luck.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

bnsfben wrote:
Ya, there will be a new Intermodel Facility at Pitt Junction on the Holly Sub... **(as nsglc would say!!)**

What traffic has increased on the Holly (what train numbers?)? Last time I was at Durand from 9 AM to 7 PM and all I saw on the Holly was 766 and that was luck.
I don't know the symbols but I've noticed a slight increase in traffic. Because of my work schedule I get to be home during the days and have noticed more trains. Seems like most mornings something goes thru and it's usually pretty early, between 5-7 a.m. In fact, I had to wait a few extra minutes before leaving for work so a S.B could go thru.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Yup, the SB signal at Watkins Lake Rd. has a new mast with searchlights.

If they are working north from Pontiac replacing signals, it's probably going to take them a while to get to Fenton

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

firemedic54 wrote:
bnsfben wrote:

I don't know the symbols but I've noticed a slight increase in traffic. Because of my work schedule I get to be home during the days and have noticed more trains. Seems like most mornings something goes thru and it's usually pretty early, between 5-7 a.m. In fact, I had to wait a few extra minutes before leaving for work so a S.B could go thru.

theres 490 and 491 for sure i dont what else heads toward durand tho theres a 280 also

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

FYI the intermediate searchlights near the Williams Lake Rd. Crossing in Waterford have been removed and the fancy new LEDs are in service. The Watkins Lake Rd. signals are still searchlights on a new mast.

firemedic54
Railroadfan...fan

Well they can keep making their way north to our area Odave and change out these ones here in town.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

I noticed awhile back that the one at White Lake Road now blinks yellow instead of constant red.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Hmm. I haven't been that way in a while - I'll have to check it out. It was red today, but that's because 767 was coming north :)

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Blinking Yellow is an Advance Approach, meaning that two signals preceeding that one would be danger or Stop. I saw these new LED signals but on the Shoreline Sub down by Monroe last January, they are VERY bright as well as the light reflected off the sides of the cars and I could see them across the field (at a 90 degree angle). The intermediates in Newport had a Flashing Yellow as well, however when I went by them the second time one side was green while the other was red, meaning something was lined and coming north.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

jukeman45
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jukeman45 »

Commuter trains