Chebanse, IL

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Illinois.
bkoole98
Railroadfan...fan

Chebanse, IL

Unread post by bkoole98 »

Recently made a trip to Chebanse, Gilman and other points in-between in hopes of finding a CN train. At Chebanse, there was a signal just north of Chebanse Ave that displayed a yellow over red on one side, and the other side was flashing yellow. It wasn't until later that I recognized it to be an older signal. I spotted reds in all directions at the newer signal towers in Ashkum. So.. why is it the railroad would still have an old signal still standing, yet alone have it display any color if it's not technically a "true" signal? How would it not confuse the crews?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chebanse, IL

Unread post by PatAzo »

Flashing yellow is a common indication. CN uses it on the ex-GTW even where new signal equipment has been installed.

What you will see along the IC is two heads where most roads are using three. My assumption is the IC had been a frugal road and two heads cost less than three. It just a matter of learning your signal card.

bkoole98
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bkoole98 »

PatAzo wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:01 pm
Flashing yellow is a common indication. CN uses it on the ex-GTW even where new signal equipment has been installed.

What you will see along the IC is two heads where most roads are using three. My assumption is the IC had been a frugal road and two heads cost less than three. It just a matter of learning your signal card.
I was moreso asking why the signal was still there. Of course, I understand the basic yellow signals but it didn't necessarily indicate a train was coming. Other newer signals down the line told me different.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Ah the flashing yellow was a southbound indication mounted on the same mast as the northbound yellow over red. It would be an active signal. You were looking at an advance approach to the red at
siding north of Ashkum.
Attachments
Signal.jpg